Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Important Roles of Nonprofits

angelamia24 1 / -  
Important Roles of Nonprofits

By
Angela Adkins

Professor Melynda McBride
ENG 102:22568
1 April 2015

Adkins 1
Angela M. Adkins
Professor Melynda McBride
English 102:22568
1 April 2015
Important Roles of Nonprofits
Research shows that nonprofits are important to the American society and to the world as a whole in all aspects and nonprofits are needed in order for the world to survive. Nonprofits play a huge factor in today's society. There are so many important roles that nonprofits cover for the American public. This has been going on for decades. Without nonprofits the world would be in more of a disaster than it is now. Through all of the research nonprofits bring a much needed hope to this world and if the world is going to keep on surviving nonprofits need to continue what they are doing. The world would be much more of a selfish place then it is now if nonprofits were nonexistent.

The American society and the world for that matter benefits from nonprofits each day without even realizing it. The examples are endless and I'm sure some of the world's population is unaware how many nonprofits are around them. Some examples are the least of these. Hospitals, schools, banks, children's centers, museums, disaster relief, there are nonprofits started each day by individuals helping a cause and these don't even begin to show how many there are! The hearts of the individuals understand that it takes one person to step up and make a change.

Adkins 2
We do not know how blessed we are as a nation to receive these kinds of services with sometimes from little to no cost at all. My research has shown how important nonprofits are to the entire world. I am hoping that they continue to help the American people. At one point or another in our lives I am sure we will end up needing to use one or be involved in one. Nonprofits play a hug role in the world and have always done so.

Why should the public understand how important nonprofits are and the huge role they play? Well first of all, we need to be educated on what nonprofits are we need to understand how we need nonprofits in our lives and how the economy will benefit from them just as they always have. I am passionate about nonprofits because this is the field I plan on being a part of for the rest of my career. I have also used many nonprofits during my life as well and have seen the huge impact that it has made on the community and to myself as well as family. I have volunteered at many nonprofits including my church and it is such a relief to see the hearts of people that do not focus on themselves but others.

I have found many resources that are on the topic of the roles of nonprofits and just how important they are. During my research most of the authors mention how important nonprofits are and how they need to stay involved in helping the society. Not just in America as well. On one article I read about the author Stockton-Stannard from, " In the Down Economy, Let's Not Ignore the Value of Creating Nonprofit Jobs" mentions that when the economy was down nonprofits still had jobs available when most business were not hiring or had hiring freezes and many people were let go from their jobs. He mentioned how nonprofits have huge roles in

Adkins 3
delivering jobs and how important the roles they play. He goes to mention how much value there are to nonprofits. This is a huge role in the world because having an abundance of jobs is needed and to know that jobs will be available when the economy is not doing well is a very important thing when we are never sure of the economy and how it will affect lives. Adkins 4

Including the jobs it delivers. Imagine how much more nonprofits there are all over the world. This figure states how many nonprofits there are and how the number is still growing today. In another area of how nonprofits play a huge role in lives is showing how to be unselfish in a selfish world and this helps with volunteering. The world teaches to be consumed with self and that so called things are needed in order to be happy and find self-fulfillment. When a nonprofit is able to teach how to not focus on self it makes the world a much better place. It shows what humans were made for and the true key to happiness is not what we consume ourselves with but how we affect others. It then becomes a domino effect and this is a step towards making the world a better place. When a group of authors wrote a book about how volunteering is important the book is called, "A Cross-National Examination of the Motivation to Volunteer" and its main focus is on the motivation to volunteer. They mention how volunteering shows how unselfish people can be. This world is so focused on self that it is no wonder the way it is. The authors mention how any age could volunteer. The book did mention how religion was involved as well and how people's religion could have a factor in volunteering. Let's face it, if more people volunteered how happier of a world we would be in. The world is so focused on self and if people do not become more aware of this it will be too late.

Another role is the importance of how the nonprofits enhance the economy, yes they give jobs and offer volunteering but they do so much more. They offer so many services for individuals, families, and children. Just about all different types of nonprofits help them through difficulties, challenges, and exciting times in life. They are limited to healthcare, education,

Adkins 5
Social services, arts, culture, and recreation, which I have touched upon before. Also included; would be advocacy, legal services, and the international aid. There are also different nonprofits related to religions as well and with so many people having different religions that is a huge part to think about and how many people are being helped through nonprofits in this manner. This online book written by Lester M. Salamon of "Americans Nonprofit Sector: Primer" is from The Foundation Center and it has mentioned how important these roles are to us and how the economy succeeds through them. Salamon states that, "Private, nonprofit organizations continue to play a significant role in American society despite the expanded role of the government over the past half-century or more." This is peace for the society because the government has been unsettled. Anything can happen when the government is involved and this is seen day by day and year by year. It is a comfort to America that nonprofits are helping each day.

My draft has come out to about 5 pages. This is not good. I have a very hard time forming ideas and how to put them together so that others understand. For my final research paper I will have an interview so that I will have more information on the roles of nonprofits. I feel that I should have chosen a different topic regarding nonprofits and it should have been more a controversial topic. Maybe why people would be against nonprofits or something to that manner. I have gone thpurhf all the info that is given each lesson leading up to this project. After choosing my topic I did find other topics that I could have chose and feel I should have went that route since nonprofits are a good thing. For my final draft I plan to upload my paper to the tutor site this week so that I can have my paper edited and get ideas on how I can do better.
lynzee22 - / 90 37  
Hello,
Your off to a good start. Here is some suggestions on organization. Hope it helps.

The first thing to work on is repetition. You state that non-profits are very good for the world multiple times. Your first two pages should be one paragraph. If you have a hard time organizing, you should start with an outline. First, figure out what your thesis is. Your thesis is your main idea or what you are trying to prove. Then you should come up with your main points. These main points will make your topic sentences in each paragraph.

for each point you should have two or three supporting facts. After each fact, explain how that backs up your argument. Then a closing sentence. and so on until the conclusion. An outline should look like this.

Intro
Introduce your topic
Thesis with your main points
Para
First main point - topic sentence
Quote 1
Supporting argument
Quote 2
supporting argument
Quote 3
support
closing sentence
repeat for all you points
conclusion
repeat main points and thesis but in different words
finishing statement

Be sure to properly introduce all of your sources in the text (depends on the format you are using)

Home / Research Papers / Important Roles of Nonprofits