Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Love Sees No Gender ; "Will You Marry Me? I Can't"

kaseyjudd 1 / -  
Cover Page:

Judd 1
Rio Salado Community College

Kasey Judd

Professor Tammilyn Gee

13 September 2013

Proposal Essay

Love sees no Gender or "Will you Marry Me? I Can't"

The great Frank Sinatra's famous love lyrics sang "love and marriage they go together like a horse in a carriage. You can't have one without the other." Sinatra is absolutely right, If one shares loves with another nothing should get in its way, especially marriage. However, Being aware of the negative and false attention the media brings to homosexuality, the trend of bisexuality, and the knowledge of the gay rights movement can help you make your own opinions on this issue, and hopefully, the right ones. You can't have one without the other. Regardless of our sexual preferences we should all have the same opportunities for true love and marriage.

Love is a quaint yet overly powerful thing, it is an emotion a desire, a tender affection for someone else. The definition of gay is that of someone to be attracted to the same sex. Whereas marriage is between two people who intend to live together as sexual and domestic partners, joining in wedlock, the state of being united to a person. Between the three of these definitions what is the real difference? In the definition of love and marriage it states no where anything like, oh yeah and p.s. homosexuals can't have this. However, if you are truly in love with someone else and have a strong love connection you should be able to fulfill your dreams of love and marriage without the judgment of others. 'You can't have one without the other' legendary Sinatra knows that you must have one another to create love, if your other half happens to be of the same sex it shouldn't matter, it is still love.

Much of the opposition of gay marriage in regards to morals stem from the idea that same-sex relationships promote polygamy; this is a common fear of many religious groups. This way of thinking reveals a sense of ignorance on the critic's behalf. If they only looked deeper into their own religious history, they would realize that polygamy was a common practice in the days in which the New Testament was written. Another argument concerning morals seems to be right in front of our eyes. We see it everyday and are explained clearly in a USA Today article from August 2012. Americans already have a kind of postmodern polygamy available to them. It has just spread over the course of a lifetime, rather than concentrated in a Big Love-Style ménage. If this newer order completely vanquishes the older marital ideal, then gay marriage will become not only acceptable but morally necessary (Et Cetera 2012). I have heard of some heterosexual couples getting married in an excess of five or more times. Leading to the fact that there is around a fifty percent divorce rate in America today. This is what all religious groups and other opponents should fear, not the loving committed relationships that same-sex marriages consist of.

A next concern is that of the equality of rights, as we are all created equally yet why are we not all treating homosexuals this way. There are many reasons for this dilemma, but most of these are not valid in America. Many states have voted to recognize same-sex marriages and other states such as Vermont have voted to consider same-sex unions giving the couples the same rights as all other legally married opposite-sex couples. Though we are leaning in the direction of equality, the lack of support in equal rights still prevails. While civil unions were recognized as a step forward, many same-sex couples made compelling arguments that a separate system is not a equal system (Wagner 2007).

Opponents fail to recognize that we should all have the same opportunities when it comes to the ones we love and wed. They believe that you need the strength of a father and a sweet humble understanding side of a mother. It is true that having both types of parenting models in a child's life would be ultimately beneficial. However, what is by far the key to good parenting is unconditional love. In the context of many subsequent same-sex marriage cases, the claim had been made that allowing legal recognition of same-sex marriage would somehow prove harmful to children (Patterson 2009). To this day I have never heard of a case where a life has been destroyed or a criminal has been raised by same-sex couples. In fact, in preparing for this assignment I searched for such a case and found nothing of the sort.

Overall, gay marriage is very much appropriate and should be considered a legal act in all states. Love is both moral and natural and should be blessed no matter what form it displays itself in. It does not promote polygamy any more than opposite sex marriage; In fact polygamy has been proven to less of an issue with same-sex couples. Consequently, if a couple has the desire to raise a family and this is the reason for a legal marriage then so it should be. In the context of many consequent same-sex marriage cases, the claim has been made that allowing legal recognition of same-sex marriage would somehow prove harmful to children. Despite the sometimes adverse legal climates in which many families live, results of research on children of lesbian and gay parents suggests that they develop in positive way (Paccione-Dyszewski 2008). Any child today would benefit greatly from a stable, loving, and understanding family model. There is no reason at all why gay couples should not be allowed the same rights as all other couples in America today, we all have our own dreams and have equal justice to obtain our dreams as we wish.

Works Cited

"Et Cetera." USA Today n.d.: Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 8 Nov. 2010.

Nussbaum, Martha. "A right to marry?" Dissent (00123846) 56.3 (2009): 43-55.
Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 7 Nov. 2010.

Paccione-Dyszlewski, Margaret. "Children of same gender parent: What is known."
Brown University Child & Adolescent Behavior Letter 24.2 (2008): 1-6. Academic
Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 8 Nov. 2010.

Patterson, Charlotte J. "Children of Lesbian and Gay Parents: Psychology, Law, and
Policy." American Psychologist 64.8 (2009): 727-736. Academic Search Premier.
EBSCO. Web. 8 Nov. 2010.

Wagner, Cynthia G. "Homosexuality and Family Formation." Futurist 44.3 (2010): 6-7.
Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 8 Nov. 2010.
If one shares loveslove with another nothing should get in its way, especially marriage.
Love is a quaint yet overly powerful thing, it is an emotion, a desire, a tender affection fortowards someone else.

The definition of gay is that of someone to be attracted to the same sex

The definition of gay is that someone becoming attracted to another person of same sex.

Home / Research Papers / Love Sees No Gender ; "Will You Marry Me? I Can't"