Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 24

Marketing Assignment of The Heinz U.S.A Company

Christopher 5 / 25  
Hi Sarah,
I'm required to do an assignment of The Heinz U.S.A Company and it consist of 2 questions:

1.What needs and wants of children and parents were met by Heinz Company?(5 marks)
2.Discuss the major reasons for the success of the coloured tomato range in the U.S. Would this concept be successful in your home country?Explain why or why not?

I need some of ur suggestion b4 I start this assignment...Coz I did a lot of research but dunno how 2 start it...T.Q
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
Moreover, do u have any idea to define needs and wants of children and parents in relation to food consumption?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

While I haven't researched it, I can make an educated guess as to the needs and wants question. Let's take parents first. Naturally, they want their children to grow up healthy and strong. Therefore, they will want foods that are nutritious and help build healthy minds and bodies for their kids. But it doesn't matter how nutritious the food is if the kids won't eat it. So, it also has to appeal to the children: good taste, attractive colors and shapes (depending on the food, of course), perhaps even colorful packaging or toys included in the package. Children want food that tastes good and is fun. That's about it. They don't start to worry about nutrition until at least the teenage years, usually.

I hope this helps get you started!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
Thank you...Then how about the structure of answering Q1 AND Q2???
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

It sounds like you are to just answer questions, rather than write a structured essay, unless you were given additional instructions. So, I would just start by saying something like "The Heinz company took the needs and wants of children and parents into careful consideration when creating its products" (assuming that's true). For #2, "The coloured tomato was a success in the U.S. for a number of reasons." Then, just discuss those reasons. Next, "A similar program would [or would not] be a success in [country] for the following reasons:..."

I hope this answers your question!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I'll see what I can do to help. Let me say first that you seem to have written a well-researched essay. I would caution you, however, to make sure you have cited any information that you got from an outside source, whether you quoted it directly or not. :-)

Since the essay is so long, we'll have to do this in more than one post. I'll paste the first part below and make suggesions in [brackets].

The H.J. Heinz Company is one of the world's leading marketers of branded foods to retail and foodservice channels. H.J. Heinz Company makes processed food products like condiments, sauces, and frozen foods. The company is best known for its namesake brand, Heinz ketchup and their HeinzSeed is recognized globally as the premier hybrid processing tomato Seed Company [seed company]delivering the best tasting, highest field performance, and the best consistency of tomato varieties in the world. According to Heinz, it[the company] aims to increase knowledge and awareness of health issues, encourage nutritious choices and active lifestyles, and accelerate the research and development that help find solutions to health problems and diseases. [If this information is taken from their website, be sure to cite it. Also, if you quoted it directly, put it in quotation marks.]

In pursuit of health and convenience, people pay more attention to the health [nutritional]issue [issues] of ketchup, which are[ketchup. Consumers want products that are] not only delicious and nutritious but also of high pharmaceutical value and they have shown a growing demand for healthier food alternatives. Customer demands put pressure on companies to seek for new innovative products in order to remain competitive. Heinz ketchup makes important predictions and recommendations regarding the future of U.S. market, and pinpoints ways current and prospective marketers can capitalize on current trends and spearhead new ones. As healthy eating starts with getting [the] right balance of food in our diet, riding this wave of consumer sentiment, Heinz introduced certified organic ketchup, called "Heinz Organic Ketchup", and "Heinz Light", which are [is a] low sugar ketchups[ketchup].

Consumer needs and wants is[are] part of the marketing orientation. Needs are unsatisfactory conditions that prompt the consumer to an action that will make the condition better; wants are desires to obtain more satisfaction than is absolutely necessary to improve an unsatisfactory condition. Heinz Company targeted its market by understand [understanding] consumer behavior, how consumers perceived [perceive], learn, and make decisions to satisfy their needs and wants. Parents and kids are two of the segmented portion [two segmented portions]of a larger market.

Heinz tomato ketchup line is the biggest seller in the U.S. market. Heinz Company launched a series of marketing research techniques and strategies to understand the needs and wants of kids in relation to food consumption that they believed can tap into the growing market. "Blast"-derived descriptors are becoming all the rage on the consumer landscape, especially for products aimed at kids and young adults with the collaboration of Dream Works Productions, which is a popular animation company in U.S. [This bit of information probably needs more explanation.]

To be continued in the next post... :-)

Sarah
EssayForum.com
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Continued:

Parents
According to Gerber, they are focusing on the family's influence on children's consumption of these foods[,] as lifelong eating patterns are established in childhood, when [early in life. It is in childhood that] the family provides the first and perhaps most fundamental context in which children's relationship with food is formed. With respect to alternative evaluation, Heinz Company provides information about their products, promotions, meal planner, red zone recipes and etc [recipes, etc.,] to their customers with a deeper understanding to [more detailed informatin about] the nutrition facts of the food products that ingestion by their kids [their kids ingest]. It enable[s] the entire family of their clients can[to] eat healthier, [and] save time and money.

Marketing communications play an essential role in creating positive brand equity and building strong brand loyalty. By the unique and positive images via advertising, messages yet Heinz had established the trust [Heinz established trust] of the brand gradually in their market segment. Consumers don't purchase "tomato ketchup" merely for its taste; they instead purchase a lifestyle and an image when selecting Heinz over other available brands as [because] the significant attributes of Heinz had lodge in consumers' memories.

In response to environmental concerns, recyclable plastic containers were also developed. Consumer[s] believed that plastic bottle[s] was [were] not only more convenient than glass for pouring the thick sauce, but also safer. Thus, they will felt relieved to let their children hold the bottles on hand [they were comfortable with letting their children handle the bottles]. Attention to business ethics is on the rise across the world and many companies realize that [they need to behave ethically] in order to succeed,[.] as Heinz practicing CSR [Heinz's practice of CSR] in their business industry [in their industry] and it will earn [will earn] the respect and confidence of their customers.

Continued in next post...

Sarah
EssayForum.com
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Continued:

Children
Most of the American kids[American kids] are attracted to anything that portrays "fun" and "adventure" with a little of the "gross" factor involved. Children's influence increases with age and they influenced household buying and they often influence [age. They influence household buying and often influence] their parents' choice of products. Packaging technology continues to improve as consumers demand safer, more convenient, and recyclable containers. The classic narrow-neck design of the Heinz ketchup bottle established the norm for the industry.

Heinz initially utilized packaging strategy to satisfy the needs and wants of kids by recommended a fun, creative food experience to them. This is an unique structure that allows kids to create a work of art in ketchup while enjoying the great taste of Heinz ketchup in novel colors like green and purple. Its easy-to-squeeze soft layers of plastic, a narrow nozzle, and kid-friendly structure were integral to the product's success in reaching the target market. The new Heinz bottle[,] which was ergonomically designed with softer plastic material, [features] custom fit curves and a nozzle as it can easily handled by the kids attribute [nozzle. The fact that it can easily be handled by kids has contributed to] the success of its Blastin Green Concept [Blastin' Green concept]. In addition, the main character SHREK, which create[created the] 'green' world movie happens to be green will appear [movie, will appear] on the green bottles, while the fairy-tale heroine "Princess Fiona" will appear on the red bottles. (prnewswire/cg-bin)

Heinz continues to improve the quality of ketchup by developing tomato strains that are superior in colour, flavour, and firmness. Tomato hybrids are also engineered to improve resistance to disease and rot, thus decreasing the reliance on chemical pesticides. After the success of its Heinz Blastin' Green (HBG), the company continues to manufacture other lively colours in its product range and further research found that purple was the next favourite colours among the kids due to the "Harry Potter" phenomenon.

I think that will do it for question 1. :-) Just be sure to include all the necessary cites. (I know I'm repeating myself, but it's REALLY important!) I'll answer your next post shortly.

Sarah
EssayForum.com
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
ya...I'll remember to cite it...That one just a draft...anyway thanks a lot...U're very helpful... After I did the final version...Do u miond to help me proofreading again?hehe...
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Certainly. :-) That's what we're here for. Good luck!

Sarah
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
Another problem is referencing problem...I need to submit this assignment in Harvard referencing...And I think the 'citation' style is all similar...could u teach me any other ways to make this assignment more fantastic?For example, (Heinz, 2007)...Accept this what other styles can I use?I hope can improve my referencing skills...Can u teach me?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Christopher,
Nice work on this essay; you did a really great job providing relevant, detailed information! I understand your concerns about trimming the essay up; sometimes this is just as hard as creating it in the first place-I mean, if it wasn't important you wouldn't have found a place for it in the text, would you?

OK, as far as trimming it up, I would start with this in mind. How can you answer the question concisely yet prove your knowledge about the topic you took so much time researching?

As far as the first question goes, I would cut out the introduction to the essay and instead begin it with this paragraph:
"Consumers want products that are not only delicious and nutritious but also of high pharmaceutical value and they have shown a growing demand for healthier food alternatives. Clearly, exactly, how has Heinz satisfied this want? Customer demands put pressure on companies to seek for new innovative products in order to remain competitive. Heinz ketchup makes important predictions and recommendations regarding the future of U.S. market, and pinpoints ways current and prospective marketers can capitalize on current trends and spearhead new ones. As healthy eating starts with getting the right balance of food in our diet, riding this wave of consumer sentiment, Heinz introduced certified organic ketchup, called "Heinz Organic Ketchup" and "Heinz Light", which is low sugar ketchup."

I suggest cutting out the beginning because your instructor is going to want the raw information pertaining to the question, and the beginning really is more of an introduction to someone (like me) who is unfamiliar with the topic. Your instructor probably already knows this information, so go ahead and chuck it. I believe this takes of 121 words; it's a start! I would also specify which consumer you are referring to: parents or children. It would help clarify for your instructor.

Next, I would cut out the paragraph "Consumer needs and wants are part of the marketing orientation. Needs are unsatisfactory conditions that prompt the consumer to an action that will make the condition better; wants are desires to obtain more satisfaction than is absolutely necessary to improve an unsatisfactory condition. (Hoffman, 2005) Within the food products marketing area, marketers have centered their attention on market and consumers." and instead show how Heinz has utilized this. For instance, cut directly to "Heinz Company targeted its market by understanding consumer behavior, how consumers perceived, learn, and make decisions to satisfy their needs and wants. Parents and kids are two segmented portions of a larger market." This takes off another 60 words. Further, I would suggest removing this paragraph "The Heinz Company took the needs and wants of children and parents into careful consideration when creating its products. They launched a series of marketing research techniques and strategies to understand the needs and wants of kids in relation to food consumption that they believed can tap into the growing market of their tomato ketchup line. While their "Blast"-derived descriptors are becoming all the rage on the consumer landscape, especially for products aimed at kids and young adults with the collaboration of Dream Works Productions, which is a popular animation company in U.S. Successfully, they willing to be creative and take chances especially if the outcomes are appalling to their parents." And reword it to concisely show WHY the "Blast" product line was what kids wanted. This explanation seems more in line with the question your instructor provided.

How about cutting out "Marketing communications play an essential role in creating positive brand equity and building strong brand loyalty. By the unique and positive images via advertising, Heinz established trust of brand gradually in their market segment. Consumers don't purchase "tomato ketchup" merely for its taste; they instead purchase a lifestyle and an image when selecting Heinz over other available brands as the significant attributes of Heinz had lodge in consumers' memories." Unless you are planning on specifically showing how brand loyalty is something a parent or a child wants; again, trying to stay within the confines of the instructor's question.

Cut out "Heinz's practice of CSR in their industry and will earn the respect and confidence of their customers." This is redundant because you have already talked about this earlier in the paragraph. Easy to trim out.

Try clarifying why the bright colors have been a BIG hit (instead of BIT). How about, "Because children are exposed to more colors at an early age, Heinz's green and purple ketchups, packaged in see-through containers with colorful labels, have been big hits". I would then cut out "Children's influence increases with age. They influenced household buying and often influence their parents' choice of products. Packaging technology continues to improve as consumers demand safer, more convenient, and recyclable containers. The classic narrow-neck design of the Heinz ketchup bottle established the norm for the industry.

Cut out "For example would be Kellogg's has teamed up with Disney to produce Mickey's Magix which is an 'enhancing' mix of colorful Mickey Marshmallows and oat stars that are sprinkled with ŇpixieÓ dust that turns the milk blue." because we want to make sure you are sticking to the original subject matter, which is Heinz, and not stray off onto other avenues (even though it's very tempting!)

Cut out "To prosper in a world of abrupt changes, newly emerging forces and dangers, and unforeseen influences from abroad, firms need to prepare themselves and develop active responses. (Hoffman, 2005, p. 99) Heinz continues to improve the quality of ketchup by developing tomato strains that are superior in colour, flavour, and firmness. Subsequent to the success of its Heinz Blastin' Green (HBG), the company continues to manufacture other lively colours in its product range and further research found that purple was the next favourite colours among the kids due to the "Harry Potter" phenomenon. Perhaps their robust quality assurance principles, procedures, standards, and technology help maintain Heinz's reputation as one of the most trusted brands in the world." As it does not directly pertain to the question asked, but mostly because you have covered a lot of this already. So far we've eliminated about 628 words, bringing you down to about 1,380. So we still need to trim off about 680 more words. Moving on.

Going back, how about revamping "The launching of Heinz Ketchup new marketing strategy is greatly supported by the success of green ketchup. Its taste exactly the same as red ketchup but fundamentally green ketchup gives children more control and creativity with their food. Mixing the red and green ketchup in designs also adds to the creativity. The colour green can connote naturalness, as it is found in nature in plants or trees, or disgust and repulsion as it is found in fungus and slime. Children however, are likely to look beyond these connotations of colour and use it because it is fun and shocking to their parents" to read, "Green ketchup gives children what they want: more control and creativity with their food, while still implicating wholesomeness by its green color.

How about rewording "Consumers want products that are not ..." To something like, "Consumers want products not only delicious but nutritious and show this by demanding healthier food. Heinz answered that demand by introducing certified organic ketchup, called "Heinz Organic Ketchup"; they also introduced "Heinz Light", a low sugar option."

How about reworking this, "Within the food products marketing area, marketers have centered their attention on market and consumers. The Heinz Company took the needs and wants of children and parents into careful consideration when creating its products. They launched a series of marketing research techniques and strategies to understand the needs and wants of kids in relation to food consumption that they believed can tap into the growing market of their tomato ketchup line. While their "Blast"-derived descriptors are becoming all the rage on the consumer landscape, especially for products aimed at kids and young adults with the collaboration of Dream Works Productions, which is a popular animation company in U.S. Successfully, they willing to be creative and take chances especially if the outcomes are appalling to their parents." To something like "The Heinz Company took the needs and wants of children and parents into careful consideration when creating a line of "Blast" ketchups: (I'm not sure what they are, so you could insert a short description here)".

How about rewording this, "According to Gerber (2007), parents are focusing on the family's influence on children's consumption of these foods as lifelong eating patterns are established early in life. It is in childhood that the family provides the first and perhaps most fundamental context in which children's relationship with food is formed. With respect to alternative evaluation, Heinz Company provides information about their products, promotions, meal planner, red zone recipes, etc to their customers with a more detailed information about the nutrition facts of the food products that their kids ingest. It enables the entire family to eat healthier, and save time and money." To something like "According to Gerber (2007), parents are focusing on the family's influence on children's consumption of these foods as lifelong eating patterns are established early in life. Heinz has responded by providing information about their products, including meal planners and red zone recipes with more detailed nutrition information." This cleans up your paragraph by eliminating redundancy and arriving quickly at your main focal point.

I think I would eliminate "The new Heinz bottle which was ergonomically designed with softer plastic material features custom fit curves and a nozzle. The fact that it can easily be handled by kids has contributed to the success of Blastin' Green concept. In addition, the main character SHREK, which created the 'green' world movie, will appear on the green bottles, while the fairy-tale heroine "Princess Fiona" will appear on the red bottles. For example would be Kellogg's has teamed up with Disney to produce Mickey's Magix which is an 'enhancing' mix of colorful Mickey Marshmallows and oat stars that are sprinkled with ŇpixieÓ dust that turns the milk blue.

To prosper in a world of abrupt changes, newly emerging forces and dangers, and unforeseen influences from abroad, firms need to prepare themselves and develop active responses. (Hoffman, 2005, p. 99) Heinz continues to improve the quality of ketchup by developing tomato strains that are superior in colour, flavour, and firmness. Subsequent to the success of its Heinz Blastin' Green (HBG), the company continues to manufacture other lively colours in its product range and further research found that purple was the next favourite colours among the kids due to the "Harry Potter" phenomenon. Perhaps their robust quality assurance principles, procedures, standards, and technology help maintain Heinz's reputation as one of the most trusted brands in the world."

Because you have already talked about a lot of this in your earlier paragraphs, and some of it does not pertain to the question your instructor presented. This brings you down to only needing to get rid of about 110 words. At this point I would look at any remaining long paragraphs you have and try to see if every sentence in them relates directly to what the question asks. You've done a lot of work here, and I'm sure your instructor will appreciate your effort.

I'm going to post the second section in another post, so there is more to come.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
As far as Harvard style referencing, the basic concept is that you cite in text and on a reference page. An in text citation might look like this:

"Another description provided in auditory examples of delusions is the "self talk" phenomenon (Carol, 1967, p. 98).

The reference page citation for this example would look like this:

Carol, A. (1967) Auditory Hallucinations in Schizophrenics, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

There are several ways to cite assorted works. For detailed examples of these, I would suggest searching the internet using the phrase "Harvard style referencing". It is one of the most frequently used citation systems, so there should be a large amount of information.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

Happy hunting!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
I think essayforum is a best place for guiding us to do a better work...thanks a lot...
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
Hi Gloria,

I had take ur advice and rework the 2nd paragraph...I need you to check wif me...Thank you very much!!!

Heinz has utilized the needs and wants of consumer by continuing to improve the quality of ketchup by developing tomato strains that are superior in colour, flavour, and firmness. There is a long standing association with ketchup and fun. Ketchup is the number one condiment in North America and is used on a variety of foods. Adults and children alike often draw pictures with their ketchup on their hamburgers or potatoes, and agonize over getting ketchup out of the bottle. As these are parts of consumer's want and need, thus, Heinz starting to add more color and squeezable bottle with a singular shade brings a fresh, new perspective to ketchup to satisfy them.
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
Sorry...one more question I would like to ask...under children's needs what suitable description should I included?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Hello Christopher!

Just a couple of grammar and spelling errors to fix here.

Heinz has utilized(satsified- they aren't using consumer needs and wants, they are giving them what they desire) the needs and wants of (the) consumer by continuing to ...

As these are parts of consumer's want(s) and need(s) , thus (remove "thus"), Heinz starting (started) to add more color and squeezable bottle(s) with a singular shade brings (bringing) a fresh, new perspective ...

Nice job!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Christopher,

As far as the description for children's needs, I would just do as you did above; using no more than five sentences or so highlight what kids want and give a quick description of how Heinz has satisfied them.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
I would like to ask when will u post the second section?Question 2...Coz I need to submit this assignment by tomorrow 28/04...Thanks
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.
I was under the impression from your post that you only needed help trimming down the first question and assistance with citations. It seemed as if you were within your word count on the second section, and the prior moderator provided you with excellent constructive assistance on the second question.

I am unclear as to what you would like me to help you with in regards to question two.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP Christopher 5 / 25  
I'd did the final version on Q.2 and I need your opnion on it and I'm not sure whether I'm on the right track...I saw ur msg "I'm going to post the second section in another post, so there is more to come." so I'm waiting for the 2nd part...Thanks...
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
The second part was for citation assistance.

As for the second question, here are my thoughts.

The first paragraph, "Heinz will achieve sustainable growth by enhancing the nutrition, health and wellness of people and their communities. At the same time, increased health awareness and government campaigns urging people to reduce their intake of sugar, salt and fat are driving demand for healthy products." Should be removed. This does not have any direct bearing on the question your instructor posted; go ahead and start right off with the next sentence, "The coloured tomato was a success in the U.S. for a number of reasons" because this gets directly to the point.

The first paragraph on technology, I fail to see the connection between the nature of marketing and the success of colored ketchup products in the U.S. If you are going to use this part of the essay, it needs to be tied in directly to the question; as it is, there is no anchor to the topic of colored ketchup.

The second paragraph on product safety and environmental concern has the same problem. If you are going to use this paragraph, you need to apply it to their colored ketchup product line. How is this line safer or more environmentally aware than the other Heinz products?

The third paragraph on packaging, is the colored ketchup line the only one that features this type of bottling? Your instructor sounds like he/she wants to know exactly what it is about the single, specific product line of colored ketchup that made it so successful. You did a good job in the first question answering why it sold so well (satisfying children's wants and parent's needs), this part of the essay needs to tie into that first section. So far there is nothing specific to the colored tomato ketchup product line specified here, it seems to be why Heinz is a better company than others overall, and that is not what your instructor has asked; you don't mention the 'Blastin' Green' product name until you get to the part of the question about whether or not it would work in your home country.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Christopher,
You're welcome. I wish you the best of luck in your future studies.

Home / Research Papers / Marketing Assignment of The Heinz U.S.A Company