Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: Applicable in to education at all levels

Dhonsjurae 1 / 1 1  

Physiological, safety, social

Humans in every walk of life long for happiness, long for lasting relationships, and long to fulfill their highest potential. Some may wonder why they are not able to accomplish goals when they have so many tools available. Some may look towards others who they view is lacking and wonder the same. Some possess the desire and have a goal to obtain a degree of some kind yet face obstacles which prevents them from prevailing. Not everyone feels the need to pursue higher education, however, the same needs which are required to be successful as school aged youth are those which are required to be successful when seeking additional learning and/or skills after high school. Understanding barriers which one may face could possibly assist those in authority with being more supportive to those who struggle. My question asks are Maslow's hierarchy of needs an applicable guideline for teachers regarding students and their success in academics or lack thereof? Once one is familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it is easier to reflect upon and apply the motivation needed by parents, instructors, and the individual themselves to be successful academically and throughout life.

In 1943 Abraham Maslow presented a theory which described five needs that motivates humans and require fulfillment to be fruitful and productive throughout life; in 1954 he modified them to include three additional needs. Due to Maslow's inference to a hierarchy, both models are depicted in a pyramid form and divided into two main groupings, deficiency needs and growth needs. According to Huitt (2007), deficiency needs include physiological, safety/security, belongingness and love, and esteem. Physiological needs are our basic biological needs such as food, water, air to breathe, and sleep. Safety/security is the need to know your environment is not one which will cause harm. Belongingness and love is the need to feel bonded with someone who truly cares. Esteem needs can come from others and the view one has about themselves. They include self-confidence (achievements, recognizing value, and possibly social status) and respect from friends, family, and collogues.

Deficiency needs usually take precedence over growth needs which Huitt (2007) shows to be cognitive, aesthetic, self-actualization, and self-transcendence. A person seeking more knowledge and better understanding is fulfilling their cognitive needs. Although most college students continue their education to further their career goals, some do so to quench their curiosity. There may also come a time when one searches for balance and beauty in the world to fulfill their aesthetic needs; a humbling peace. Those seeking self-actualization are determined to be their best self. This usually encompasses giving back in a way that assists and guides others without expecting anything in return. Self-transcendence needs are those that can be attained through spirituality of some form. Personal concerns come second to that which is viewed as being greater than ones' self. Some people who already serve a higher being during the earlier stages may fulfill this need early in life. How would some one be able to fulfill Maslow's highest need level and not have their other needs met, some may ask.

Maslow did not believe each level must be entirely fulfilled to advance to the next but, at the start of his analysis, he did believe each level had to be satisfied in order which is not applicable to every individual because of our varying personalities. Lomas (2013) contends that the levels depicted in a pyramid form act as boundaries which produce "false mental representations that may hinder" ones' "ability to recognize the early appearance of satisfied or emergent needs." Humans are visual creatures and possibly view this depiction as they would a ladder; start at the bottom and work my way up. Knowing where to begin the climb is important, however, each person is so very different. Some do not want or need to start at the bottom which is why Lomas (2013) provides a model in a circular form which has sectioned segments representing each need Maslow presents. Some needs may require more attention than others so the sections can be conformed based upon the importance it may be to each individual. The people involved that can have an impact on a being's progression are a significant factor.

Maslow's needs models are used to represent what motivates people throughout life, however, since education is one determinate upon success for some, it can be applied specifically to schooling. Burleson (2013) states, "When learners are concerned about certain needs, their behavior is centered on meeting those needs. Other concerns will then take precedence over learning and achievement." Most young ones need to have their most basic needs met along with safety/security in order to focus on their learning. It is evident, however, that one can have some form of their basic needs not met and still perform well due to more vital needs being met. Maturing and entering adulthood also may foster needs which are more pressing than basic needs and fulfillment of those may likewise assist one in being academically successful. But, in relation to children specifically, Nesbit comments "All children have a set of needs that if met with the help of parents, friends and teachers can help mould a child and build a good foundation for adulthood. If there is a deficiency in the needs or any are neglected it can result in hindering a child's performance and behavior in school." Knowing how much childhood experiences can hinder or encourage a being to be extraordinary, it is essential that parents and educators are aware of what that child needs and provides it to the best of their ability.

There are various ways in which parents and educators can assist young ones with fulfillment of these needs; even when there are situations and circumstances that may prevent fulfillment of the deficiency needs provided in Maslow's model. Parents, as the first line of contact and primary provider, have a special responsibility. Most caregivers have hopes and dreams for their child but may face various reasons and circumstances that indicate why some of the hierarchical needs are more important than others or simply unable to be fulfilled within some family units. Educational, socioeconomic, and ethic differences mentioned in the study conducted by Reese, et al (2016), provides how participants with "lower educational attainment mentioning fewer aspirations, specifically in terms of belonging...self -transcendence...and self-actualization...suggesting that parents with lower educational attainment typically have lower educational expectations for their children." Of course, this is not the case for all, but it shows which motivational goals are not a priority. Parents having this mindset may then translate it to their children through actions and behaviors. The children will then pick up that mindset also and not apply themselves as much as they could academically. In relation to low-income parents, McManus (2015) states "parents may be less likely, or even incapable according to Maslow, to focus on growth needs if they are still working on meeting all of their physiological, safety, social, and esteem needs." For some households, having enough money for food, clothes, and even housing is a struggle. There may even be a domestic violence situation which the parent has no means to get out of. A child with a stressed parent and very little may not want to engage with others due to embarrassment or harassment, hindering their educational growth and productivity because their deficiency needs are not able to be met in numerous ways.

According to Reese, et al (2016), "the relation between parental education and self-actualization (and perhaps also belonging and self-transcendence) is unlikely to be due to different desires for their children to be successful and receive a good education...rather they reflect differences in parents' desire for their child to have and to maximize their opportunities in order to reach and fulfill their personal potential." No matter what background one may come from, the desire to have offspring do better and be better is always present. As such, some caregivers can take the initiative to provide a more stimulating environment in which their child can grow. There have been many studies which indicate the environment of the family influences parenting, referring to living in a low-risk vs. high-risk community. The families that are able to live in a better area can assist with their child's educational prowess. This could be due to the caregiver being more comfortable in their environment, safe, having food and essentials, and less stress which then trickles down to the child. A parent who is more confident in life exemplifies that and that sureness is instilled into the child which assists in the child's desire to confidently fulfill other needs and be more focused on their studies. Although caregivers are the first line of influence, educators also play a vital role in the child's attainment of needs.

Whether in elementary school, middle school, high school, college, or a trade school, wanting all students to be successful is hope educators have and can be assisted with fulfillment of the hierarchy of needs. There is, however, a limit to what they are and are not able to do. As stated by Burleson and Thoron (2014), "there is no possible way that a teacher or group leader can provide food, clothing, shelter, and adequate sleep for each learner." There are resources available to assist teachers in being able to inform parents so that the child can have these basic necessities, however, sometimes it can be multiple students and the educator is unable to tend to them all. Although this can be a hinderance, there are routes educators can take which will still lead to successful students. McLeod (2017) mentions, "students must be shown that they are valued and respected in the classroom, and the teacher should create a supportive environment." Not showing favoritism, talking down to a student, making smart remarks, or in other ways being unrespectable are ways in which educators can provide a supportive environment. The supportive environment can assist the student with their belonging needs. It can also pave the way for fulfillment of esteem needs. Although both parents and educators can assist with fulfillment of these needs, with or without these needs met, a child grows and matures.

As a teen one can focus on fulfillment of certain needs in pursuit of success and as a young adult, one in tuned to their needs, can make decisions which can assist in acquiring the motivation needed to complete their higher education goals and continue to climb in the needs fulfillment. During teenage and early adulthood, one may have their most basic needs provided for and be able to function in a successful capacity, however, the needs model can be formatted to be applied towards educational goals specifically which can lead to further progression in life. As far as the components needed to accomplish a degree of some sort, Lomas (2013) provides an example by stating, "once enrolled Student Services or the Internet can provide the important variables involved in successful study, that is, library skills, efficient note taking, and so on, which are then added one variable per segment to the current task circle. The number of segments in the task circle can be increased or reduced as required to accommodate the amount of key variables necessary for success." This allows the student a tool which can be used as a check list of sorts; completing each needed task to ensure success of goal completion. Again, some do not feel the need for this accomplishment, however, weather a child, teen, young adult, or adult McLeod's (2017) article states "Maslow (1971, p. 195) argued that a humanistic educational approach would develop people who are 'stronger, healthier, and would take their own lives into their hands to a greater extent. With increased personal responsibility for one's personal life and with a rational set of values to guide one's choosing, people would begin to actively change the society in which they lived."' Education can assist in producing a better world for all and pave the way to one's growth needs.

In conjunction with accomplishment of a major educational goal (which may fulfill one's cognitive growth need), life experiences, and development of the necessary characteristics, one can move on to or continue to supply for their growth needs leading to self-actualization. According to McLeod (2017) "By studying 18 people he considered to be self-actualized (including Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein) Maslow (1970) identified 15 characteristics of a self-actualized person." The list provided defines an all around good person. One who can see the best in life, is accepting, caring, enjoyable, creative, and without prejudice. These people exemplify these characteristics through their behavior which McLeod (2017) also identifies. McLeod's descriptions refer to beings who are open minded, non-judgmental, works hard, and is okay with not fitting in with the norm. Many of us can work on procuring these traits, yet some have the innate ability to have this mindset regardless of their unfavorable life experiences. Some may need that extra push to have all the characteristics and behaviors of one who has reached the self-actualization plateau. More self-actualized people would undoubtedly lead to a better world.

In conclusion, there are many people encountered throughout life that have the means to help us fulfill our full potential or hinder that grandiose possibility of one being a light for others. Parents, with help if needed, can provide the most essential needs. It may be food, water, air and sleep but even when some of those may not be able to be met, parents can still fill the child with belongingness and love. Parents can encourage their child and fill them with esteem. Parents can make sure their child feels safe in whatever environments they are in. Educators, if the situation warrants, can provide parents and students with resources to help with some needs fulfillment. Most importantly educators can provide safe, enriching, respectful environments to nurture students growth. The individual also has a responsibility to be aware of their needs and seek to fill them to assist in their success endeavors. Fulfillment of Maslow's hierarchy of needs not only helps a person feel accomplished and fulfilled but fulfillment of these needs also provides means for enjoyment in life. Enjoying life and obtaining fulfillment leads to self-actualization and self-transcendence which, with even as one small being, helps the world be a better place.
Dhonsjurae , I find this essay to be highly informative and contemplative in content. The reader is definitely left with some topics to consider and think about in relation to educational aspirations and goals. Although, I feel like there is a whole paragraph missing somewhere at the beginning of the presentation. Is there any chance that you can insert information as to why you hypothesized that Maslow's hierarchy can be applied to education in general? Which portions in particular do you feel support your hypothesis and why?

While making sure that other people are cited in the work as being the source of your information, you must also make sure that your personal opinion is reflected in the paragraph so that you continue to strengthen your hypothesis in relation to the question you posed. It seems to me that the research paper is so academic in nature, you forgot that you posed a personal question for the hypothesis which means you need to insert your personal opinion every so often in the form of personal insight, personal experience, or personal knowledge. Making such improvements will result in a more enlightened and interconnected research presentation.

Home / Research Papers / Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: Applicable in to education at all levels