Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Obesity from the Beginning

evode 1 / -  
Obesity from the Beginning: Rough Draft

"Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are" as stated by Anthelme Brillat-Savarin was take more literal than what was intended. This phrase was then translated by many as "you are what you eat" and in modern day, this can legitimately sum up what's been going on in the lives of many peoples. Through the statistics found by many researches and scientists, obesity might just be the ultimate cause of many deaths in the world. Although there are many ways to prevent yourself from being obese, what you eat and put in your body also affects you. Although many people believe that obesity just comes, there has been proof that it might just even be rooted in us from birth. While many researchers and people believe that obesity is caused by what you consume, other research has shown that signs of being obese may begin from birth, as far as kindergarten, and even from what you think your eating is heathy but truly unhealthy.

The more you know the more you grow and if you know the advancements made by researchers, you'll come to know obesity doesn't begin from your teenage years or throughout your life. Proven studies have shown that obesity may start from birth from what the parent has been doing themselves since pregnancy. Edward Archer, a physiologist and obesity theorist at the Nutrition and Obesity Research Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham did a study based of off how rats offspring based on how much the rats ate and how much they exercised. The result led him to believe that genes and food aren't the explanations of obesity. He goes on to explain that it begins at birth from how much exercise, how much food, and what the parent does while pregnant. So, as of coming to this conclusion, many women who are pregnant should be encouraged to eat healthy and do as much exercises as possible. As you move and eat healthy, the fetus is kept in good condition and grows at a positive rate.

Secondly, another study has shown that obesity can start as far as kindergarten. Although this study kind of increments of off Edward archers article, it reveals to us how many children are already obese before kindergarten and talks about the risks of kids who are obese of becoming bigger than they are. It is funny how many people take food for granted but many things that you put into your body aren't always commendable for you. But, this also makes me question how so many kids are already obese before kindergarten. Are they fed until they can't fit food into their body anymore or are they taught to move their body? Whatever it is, the study competed by Solveig Cunningham of Emory University displayed that kids who started overweight in kindergarten had four times the greater risk of being obese in the eighth grade. Now, comprehending this for more difficult for me because I believe that the risks of obesity should be shown from the time the child goes to school. And as I feel this way, "Ludwig says women have to be careful not to gain too much weight while they're pregnant and do commonsense things during their kids' first few years of life. Make sure their kids don't sit around too much watching TV and playing video games, get them plenty of exercise, and watch what they eat."(Stein, 1) As a parent of six children I understand how hard it is for most parents to do that but know it is possible. We owe it to our children to help hem early on by taking them to the park to play around, buying them all natural valley bars, and always encouraging them to stay fit. Now I don't mean to be a health nut who always thinks green is the way to go but to understand when someone has had too much of something and stop it. Together we are able to stop obesity from its track through what we as parents promote in our children from the beginning. (Even what we put in their mouths!)

Moreover, it's what we put into our bodies that's more important than anything else. Although we have many improvements on how obesity comes about, the health risks from being obese are also more than we might be able to handle. Many include diabetes, stroke, and many others. One of the reasons many are obese is because pf the abundance of food people consume. Watching what you always eat doesn't always have to be a chore but you have to know when your eating is becoming a habit. Eric j. Bailey describes food habits "...When food is ingested and consumed in a regular pattern, we are referring to food habits" (Pt II, pg.40). So, when you're constantly consuming something, you are able to know that is a sure sign of having a food habit which leads you to being obese. But there are also things that people use in their foods that is able to make their bod unhealthy. Using too much oil, cheese, and foods high in calories is not good for your health and may cause problems in your body. But to eat healthy you should always check how much sugar or calories you are using and try to eat some type of greens such as a salad, broccoli, and even peas. This also pertains to drinks as they may have some damaging chemicals. Also make sure to exercise whenever you can to burn of all the calories you took in and even make it fun. Staying healthy should be fun and if you try to do that for yourself through what you eat and even how u exercise, it will be a piece of cake and even lower the risk of being obese.

Overall, being obese has its own origins but that doesn't mean it can take over everything in our lives. While it has been proven that it's what the parent does while their pregnant, as children grow up they have to know that being obese should not be an option. Although there are health risks of being obese, that does not mean we may stop trying to get healthy. Through what we encourage our children to do and eat, we can stop a full generation from dying out because of obesity. I've seen many shows such as biggest loser that shows that being obese is more than what you eat or do everyday but of what you've been going through your life emotionally. Whatever it is, when we work together, we can stop obesity from taking over, even from the beginning of birth.

Works Cited
Archer, Edward. "The Real Reason that People are Obese." The Washington Post Jun 15 2015.ProQuest. Web. 21 Aug. 2015.
Bailey, Eric J. "The African American Overweight and Obesity Problem." Food Choice and Obesity in Black America: Creating a New Cultural Diet. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger4, 2006. ABC-CLIO eBook Collection. Web. 11 Sep 2015.

"Adult Obesity May Have Origins Way Back In Kindergarten." All Things Considered 29 Jan. 2014. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 22 Aug. 2015.
Evode, this is a very well researched essay. I assume that you have properly cited all your sources in both the in-text and bibliography page. I did notice a few parts where improvements can be made though. I also saw some portions that have redundancies and grammar problems that need to be addressed. Let me get started below:

"Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are" as stated by Anthelme Brillat-Savarin was take more literal than what was intended.

- Anthelme Brillat- Savarin once literally stated "Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are."

this can legitimately sum up what's been going on in the lives of many peoples

- People is the plural form of person and therefore does not have any other plural form.

Through the s tatistics found by many researches and scientists, obesity might just be the ultimate cause of many deaths in the world.

-Statistics found by may researches and scientistsindicate that obesity...

Although there are many ways to prevent yourself from being obese, what you eat and put in your body also affects you.

- ... yourself frombecoming obese...

Although many people believe that obesity just comes, there has been proof that it might just even be rooted in us from birth

- Try to avoid using the same word in two succeeding sentences so you can avoid redundancy. It can cause reader's fatigue.

signs of being obese may begin from birth

- may begin at birth.

as far as kindergarten

- asearly as kinder...

The more you know , the more you grow

Proven studies have shown that obesity may start from birth from what the parent has been doing themselves since pregnancy

- ... may start from birthstemming from what the parent...

Alabama at Birmingham did a study based of off how rats offspring based on how much the rats ate and how much they exercised.

- This sentence read as very confusing and I felt it needed to be shortened and cut in order to make clear sense.

So, as of coming to this conclusion

Secondly, a nother study has shown that obesity can start as {s}far as kindergarten

- No need to start with numbering at this point since you did not begin your line of reasoning with a numbering method.
-A nother study... can start as soon as...

Now, comprehending thisfor more difficult for me

-... comprehending thisis more difficult...

And as I feel this way, "Ludwig says women have to be careful not to gain too much weight while they're pregnant and do commonsense things during their kids' first few years of life. Make sure their kids don't sit around too much watching TV and playing video games, get them plenty of exercise, and watch what they eat."(Stein, 1)

- Paraphrase this portion in order to make it more your own while still mentioning the original author as the source.

This is a highly interesting and informative essay. I hope that my notes can help you improve your draft.
- ...legitimately sum up to what's been...
- ...going on in the lives of many peoples("people" is a plural collective word for 2 or more person so there is no need to add the "s" ) .

- ...to prevent yourself from being obeseobesity ,
- ...and even from what you think your eating is heathy but is truly unhealthy.
- ...to know that obesity doesn't begin...
- ...based of offon how rats offspring...
- So, as of coming to thisAs conclusion, many women...

This is just the first leg of the remarks I'm going to make to help you out.
I'll get back to you for the next few paragraphs.
So far, your doing quiet well, I have very minor remarks that hopefully enhance your research.

Home / Research Papers / Obesity from the Beginning