Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Research Paper Analysis. (2 Paragraphs) - "You Are What You Speak"

marco4polo69 1 / -  
"You Are What You Speak," by Guy Deutscher, discusses his strategic approach to target the misleading arguments provided by Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which is refreshing. (Add Sapir-Whorf hypothesis).Deutscher successfully points out that Sapir-Whorf hypothesis fails to use their findings on all languages as a general rule because the modern studies indicate that mother tongues do not necessarily limit humans' ability to think. Rather, Deutscher explains that although our traditional thinking process is heavily influenced by native language, however languages do not act like as a prison house. Unlike Sapir and Whorf, Deutscher believes that mother tongues play as a vital tool to understand the world around us, and even enable us to think outside the box in given circumstances. Languages play an integral part in how people think and develop; however, it does not put limit on the capability to think and adapt.

Edward Sapir and Benjamin Whorf, the two linguists The article speaks greatly of the history of where this study was founded, and as well as the founders of the research named Edward Sapir and Benjamin Whorf, where they collaborated to study linguistics and its effect in our thinking in early 1900s. These two eventually came up with now what is known as the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis. The hypothesis states that "there are certain thoughts of an individual in one language that cannot be understood by those who live in another language," (Rusiyanadi, 3). The hypothesis emphasizes that one using a different language and lacks unique language tools that are vital in other languages, will not be able to think in such a manner because his or her inability to comprehend. This is hugely supported by their studies of languages where their findings have led others to believe in this unsupported analysis.
mvmlima 1 / 2 1  
"Unlike Sapir and Whorf, Deutscher believes that mother tongues play as aare vital tools to understand the world around us, and even enable us to think outside the box in given circumstances [You should be more specific about "think outside the box" -- what does it mean to you? ]. Languages play an integral part in how people think and develop [Do you mean evolve? Try to be more specific -- Develop what? Themselves? Tools? Thinking?];[you should use a period -- semi colon means that your next sentence is directly related to the previous one as a sort of explanation, for instance] However, it [?] does not put limit on the capability to think and adapt. [maybe develop a bit more this last sentence]. "

Home / Research Papers / Research Paper Analysis. (2 Paragraphs) - "You Are What You Speak"