Home / Research Papers   % width NEW!

Research paper on the Dream act of 2011

Sami89 1 / -  
It has to be 8 to 10 pages this is what i got so far I really have to make this good it ois for an English 102 class at rio salado and it is in MLA format I am a horrible writer so any ideas and review would be appreciated can someone help please:

Samantha Gaston
Lisa Moore
ENG-102-13414-8 week
28 January 2012

The Dream Act 2011

Each year in late spring to early summer thousands of young people graduate from high school and are looking forward to attending college. Some have chosen their colleges, are already packed and ready to go off to school and accomplish their dreams. Others are late bloomers, just starting to look at their opportunities after high school graduation. Whichever type they are, they all have one thing in common, they are dreaming big and are ready to go and tackle their future because they all know their options are limitless. However, on the contrary there are thousands of students that graduate each year, that albeit they may have dreams just as big as their former classmates will never know what it is like to attend a college or even to visit college campuses.

They are limited in their options after high school because of acts that were committed unbeknownst to them. These are the children of illegal immigrants. These are the children that were taken from their homes and brought to America for a better life, only to be blocked by the good intentions of their parents when it comes time for college. The Dream Act 2011 some would say is violating federal laws that were put in place while others would say it is running along the same path that this country was built on. The Dream Act 2011 does an astonishing job of trying to appeal to all audience with comprise as well as just the name itself can evoke emotion in the audience.

The Dream Act 2011 full name is The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2011. This act allows for children of undocumented immigrants, brought to America before their fifteenth birthday and has resided here continuously for five years to apply for permanent residency on a conditional basis, once they have graduated from high school or achieve a General Education Development Certificate. This conditional basis is that these children must be admitted into a college, complete a two year degree or serve two years in the military. These individuals must also be someone without any convictions that are criminal and that has good honorable character.

The author of the 2001 Dream act was the US Senator of Illinois Dick Durbin. He has also put forth The Dream Act 2011. Dick Durbin is a Democratic Senator from Springfield, IL. He is Illinois senior Senator as well as their convener of their bipartisan congressional delegation. Senator Durbin is currently serving in the second highest position in the Senate as Assistant Majority Leader. Winning the elections of 1996, 2002, and 2008 Senator Durbin has served for the US senate for quite awhile. Senator Durbin decided to write the Dream Act, after one of his constitutes called him and explained some of the issues she was having. Her child was a top performer but was being denied access to a college he was accepted in because of his undocumented status, and the fact that she herself was an illegal immigrant. After learning so much about this one person's life Senator Durbin spearheaded The Dream Act.

This Act has been looked at many times by the congressional leaders however it never made it to the floor. This proposed bill was shown to congress in 2001 as well as 2005, it was also shown to congress in 2007 and all three were different from each other as various amendments was made throughout the years. Since those three versions of the Dream Act never made it to the floor, the bill was shown to congress again in March of 2009 it was not passed at that time. Then in December of 2010 it fell short by a few votes and once again was not passed.

However, the bill has not been put to rest. On the tail end of that comes the Dream Act 2011 was once again put before congress in May of 2011.

The Dream Act 2011 reaches out to every type of audience in the form of compromising. It reaches out to resistant audiences by showing that they do not plan on just handing citizenship away to anyone, but they in fact would like to make sure each of those individuals earn it by either enhancing themselves through a college education, or serving in the US military. Some of the issues faced by the opposing audiences include the fact that they are unsure whether letting someone that entered the country illegally should remain. They feel that these individuals should be taught a lesson which is, if they want to come to this country they need to do it the right way.

On the other hand those that are in favor feels that these individuals were brought here by their parents so this is their country. These individuals have no connection or knowledge of their native country as they were brought over here as children or even babies when they had no say. These children tend to agree with the opposition, as they too believe that the adults who are their parents should have entered the country the correct way, however, they themselves were not adults being brought over, shows it is unfair if they are sent back. Both parties are having a difficult time figuring out what is right from wrong on this immigration issue.

The individuals that are in opposition of this act, stands firm in their beliefs that as long as someone is here illegally, no matter how that came to be, that they should not be entitled to remain here much less receive a college degree using financial aid. This they feel should only be given to US citizens or those that entered the country legally. These individuals who also includes Congressman Tom Tancredo and others, feels that this bill should be called the "Nightmare Act". They believe passing this bill, will open the flood gates to the amount of people that enter the United States illegally. Some has gone as far as to refer to this bill as "amnesty to illegal aliens". The opposition feels the United States would be rewarding undocumented immigrants and that they would be taking education spots away from well deserving American students, making it more difficult for them to obtain financial aid and or scholarships. (About.com).

Many of those in favor of the Dream Act agree with the stipulations that were outlined in the proposed bill. They agree with the fact that these individuals need to earn their place here. They do not feel that these undocumented children, now young adults are being handed their citizenship on a silver platter. They are being given the opportunity to earn it, which is only fair because of their circumstances. They are also satisfied with the fact that children of undocumented immigrants that chooses to engage in criminal acts, and not take the advantage to do something to better themselves or the United States, should be sent back to the country where they originated from. Supporters of this bill, also feels that it is unfair to just deport these children without giving them the opportunity to earn their citizenship status.

The Dream Act has its pros and cons, these children are already here. For most if not all of them this is the only country they know. They have established friendships and have a way of life that they are now accustomed to. A lot of tax payer dollars have already been invested in educating these children from kindergarten through high school. Deporting them to the unknown appears to be in humane and out of character for what America stands for. High and over achieving young men and women would be returned to a land of the unknown without the possibility and no hopes for the future. However, if a young man or woman who was brought here as a child and has been given all the opportunities available, but chooses a life of crime or chooses to not go to college or the military as outlined in the proposed bill, then the United States should rightfully start the deportation process against them if and when caught, as they are now a liability to the United States.

Works Cited

Durbin, Dick. Dick Durbin US Senator For Illinois Assistant Majority Leader durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/about

Rep Berman, Howard. The Library of Congress Thomas 2011

Dream Act 2011 Where Dreams Come True Bringing Hope & Promise to Our Children The
Future of America

Jennifer McFadyen. Opposition to the Dream Act, 2012
immigration.about.com/od/immigrationlawandpolicy/a/Oppose_DREAMAct.htm

Home / Research Papers / Research paper on the Dream act of 2011