Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

"Paper on the Dred Scott v. Sanford" -What is my professor asking of this assignment?

lydever91 5 / 13  
I am doing a paper on the Dred Scott v. Sanford case for college, and I don't really understand what the assignment is.

"Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas assessed the Dred Scott decision differently. How did these two politicians interpret the decision and whose arguments do you believe were most valid?"

I don't understand what is meant by interpreting the decision. Does the professor really mean to say, "Who wants Dred Scott and his family to be free and who wants his family and him to remain a slave?"
The prof wants you to show that you understand how Douglas and Lincoln each responded to the decision. What readings were you assigned? I think you have to look into the reading and find the place where it tells you about each man's reaction to the decision.

Then, it will be easy to determine which you most agree with.

Here is a place to start... Google this: Abraham Lincoln's speech on the dred scott decision.

:-)

Home / Research Papers / "Paper on the Dred Scott v. Sanford" -What is my professor asking of this assignment?