Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Research paper on the effect of attractiveness, height, and race in the workforce

IPlayGamesNude 1 / -  
For my university English course, I need to write a 5-6 pages, MLA style, ~1800 word research paper on the effects attractiveness, height, and race have on a candidate's qualification and therefore chance of being hired as well as the difference in wages between employees of different traits. This is the bare bone of my intro so far. Please be as harsh as you can.

Discrimination can be defined as prejudice against a person on the basis of the class or category to which the person belongs. Discrimination that is prominent in the workplace is usually prejudice towards others based on their appearance. I will argue the existence of such bias that arises in the workplace. The injustice tends to arise from the moment an interviewer reads a candidate's resume and it will ultimately come to fruition once a pictorial description is viewed. The variables, which a candidate's adequacy for a position or a promotion is based upon, will be one's sex, age, qualifications, and overall attractiveness. This paper will rely on Dipboye et al as their experiment indicates bias towards those with more appealing physical attributes. Key patterns that show up are the fact that regardless of gender, attractiveness plays a role in a rater's (the interviewer) judgement on the candidates' credentials and qualifications, favouring those that are considered highly attractive by consensus. Also, amongst those with similar credentials and level of attractiveness, gender is a factor in the decisions made by the interviewer as males are desired more than females. Finally, gender and attractiveness play even a bigger role depending on the position, i.e. a high management position will be given to attractive males and less attractive females rather than their counterparts.
I will argue the existence of such bias that arises in the workplace.---I could be wrong, but this sentence seems to need a few more words in it.

The injustice tends to arise from the moment an interviewer reads a candidate's resume, and it will ultimately come to fruition once a pictorial description is viewed.

This paper will rely on Dipboye et al, as their experiment indicates bias towards those with more appealing physical attributes.

Key patterns that show up are the fact that regardless of gender, attractiveness plays a role in a rater's (the interviewer) judgement of the candidates' credentials and qualifications, favoring those that are considered highly attractive by consensus.

Also, amongst those with similar credentials and level of attractiveness, gender is a factor in the decisions made by the interviewer, as males are desired more than females.

Finally, gender and attractiveness play an even bigger role depending on the position, i.e. a high management position will be given to attractive males and less attractive females rather than their counterparts.

This is coming along fine! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Research Papers / Research paper on the effect of attractiveness, height, and race in the workforce