Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Persuasive Research Paper on utilizing GMOs

rachhcavaletto 1 / -  

The understanding of GMO products

Imagine an individual walking around the produce section of their neighborhood grocery store. All around them are colorful fruits and vegetables. They pick up a big, firm, bright red tomato, then they realize it is not labeled "NON GMO", so they place it back with the rest of the tomatoes and continue strolling around the section until they finally find a tomato that is appropriately labeled "NON GMO". Although some people go to desperate measures in order make sure they are only eating organic food, research states that seventy to 80 percent of food humans eat contains genetically modified organisms (Hirsch). Unfortunately, some people let the misconceptions of GMO products dictate their opinions about the technology, but science has proven that GMOs are safe for human consumptions, and the technology helps advance the medical industry, as well as forming a solution for world hunger, and aiding undeveloped countries economically and nutritionally.

Modifying an organism is when the organism's DNA has undergone a particular change which ends up changing its genetic make-up. Humans and nature have been doing this for centuries through what is called cross-breeding, by taking two different plants or animals and breeding them in order to create a more advanced product. Animals have particularly been cross-bred ever since they were first domesticated around 12,000 BCE and plants were around 10,000 BCE (Goldbas). For example, breeding a horse with a donkey will create a mule. Cross-breeding can sometimes create uncertain outcomes, so in 1972 Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen developed biotechnology that was able to insert a specific gene into the nucleus of a DNA cell in order to create a more precise outcome. (Purdue) The outcome of this technology is what is known as a genetically modified organism (GMO). This technology was a breakthrough since scientists were able to target specific traits they wanted altered, such as altering an organism's DNA so that it would be pest resistant. In 1994, the first GM food got approval in the States. It was a tomato called the FlavrSavr, which was altered so that it would be able to stay ripe for a longer amount of time than a normal tomato and recently the Artic Apple, which is known as a non-browning apple, was recently approved (Hirsch). Although this technology has so much potential, some people do not believe it is safe.

According to a Pew research done in 2016, thirty-nine percent of Americans believe that GM foods are worse for someone's health than non-GM food (Funk and Kennedy). Some anti-GMO activists even state that GMOs increase allergies and create liver problems, in addition Anti-GMO, former dance instructor Jeffery Smith states that GMOs are linked to cancer and that the process of creating GMO creates side effect that promote cancer (Smith). Although they are convinced that GMO have many negative health concerns affiliated with the technology, the National Academy of Science stated in a report that there is no difference in health effects between GM crops and non-GM crops. This report was worked on for over two years by more than 50 scientists who examined over than 900 researches and listened to 80 speakers in order to create an unbiased and broaden understanding on the controversy of utilizing GMO technology (Kubitz). Even though scientists have proven GM food is safe, some individuals still choose to oppose the technology. They choose to rely on their own intuition to create their opinion, for instance some believe scientists are "playing God" or refer to GM food as "Frankenfood" and that it will eventually escape the control of scientists and will lead to destruction (Blancke). On the contrary, some people, such as Mark Laynus, an environmental writer and Bill Nye "The Science Guy" were publicly opposing GMOs, then they changed their opinions after becoming more informed on GMOs. This shows that some public anti-GMO activist are not fully aware of the benefits the technology creates and have not fully researched the topic, since utilizing GMOs have many benefits.

One benefit GMO technology has had has been positively impacting the medical industry by using GMOs in many treatments. One common example is insulin, a treatment for individuals with diabetes. Insulin was originally made from the pancreas of a pig or cow, but some individuals had allergic reactions to the animal pancreatic tissue. Without insulin, these patients would most likely not have been able to survive. In 1978, scientists began using new technology available in order to genetically engineer insulin from a human pancreas to create an alternative treatment for diabetics (Winsor). Along with insulin, scientists have also genetically engineered other pharmaceutical drugs, such as hepatitis-B vaccine, thyroid hormones and blood clotting factors that hemophiliacs lack (Winsor). The technology has also impacted pregnant and post pregnant women. For instance, the drug ATRyn was created from the DNA of goats' milk, which is used to decrease the chance of blood clotting while giving birth (Goldbas). Scientist have also modified cows so that they are able to produce milk that is similar to human breast milk, which will benefit woman who are unable to produce their own milk (Goldbas). GMO technology has been advancing medical possibilities for over 40 years and will continue to save lives, as well as creating hope for health care in the future.

In addition to bringing hope to the medical industry, GMOs are bringing hope to a hungry world. World hunger has been as issue for centuries, yet we still struggle to find a solution to this never-ending problem. As reported by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, "about 815 million people of the 7.6 billion people in the world, or 10.7%, were suffering from chronic undernourishment in 2016. Almost all the hungry people live in lower-middle-income countries. There are 11 million people undernourished in developed countries" (World Hunger). Research shows that world hunger continues to increase every year, for instance between 2015 and 2016 it increased 777 to 815 million people. Although, the number of individuals suffering from hunger continue to increase, forunately scientist have figured out a way to utilize GMO in order to help aid hunger in underdeveloped countries. Since GMO technology allows scientists to pinpoint specific traits, they are able to alter crops in order to endure drought, diseases, and pests that normally kill off normal crops. If more crops are able to survive, then the number of crop production will increase. For instance, in the States, biotechnology was lead to an additional 231 million tons of corn and 122 million tons of soy beans (GMO Crops benefit environment, farmers, developing countries). This increase in crop production will help fight world hunger since there will be more crops grown and because crops will be able to be produced in areas they have been unable to grow in the past. For example, if a country normally experiences drought, then scientist will be able to create a crop that is able to withstand drought. GMOs will be able to assist in the fight against hunger, by creating specific GM crops for specific environments that specifically struggle with hunger.

While helping fight world hunger, scientist will also be to aid underdeveloped countries in order for them to grow their economy. By doing this, countries will be able to rely on themselves instead of on larger, wealthier countries and will be able to grow their country's economy. For instance, farmers in Latin and South America, Asia and Africa receive about $4.42 for every dollar they invest in GM crops (Staropoli). Since GMO technology is expensive, big companies like Monsanto, have created transfer programs that help make the technology affordable by making the cost either extremely reduced or free. (Gmos: A Solution or a Problem?) By using transfer programs, countries will be able utilize GM crops which will end up impacting their economy in positive ways.

In addition to impacting the economy of underdeveloped countries, GMO technology also able to nutritionally enrich crops based on specific environments. For example, in Africa cassava is the most used crops it is 40% of induvial calorie intake, so scientist have created GMcassava which has increased minerals, vitamin A, and higher protein levels. Children in Africa commonly suffer from blindness, so if they use GMcassava instead of normal cassava they have a higher chance of not becoming blind, since they are intaking vitamin A (Goldbas). Furthermore, in Asia they have developed golden rice, which includes more vitamin A in order to help decrease the chance of children developing blindness from experiencing vitamin A deficiency. It has the potential of saving up to 2.8 million children a year from blindness and about a million of them from death (Parrett). Utilizing GMOs in underdeveloped countries will benefit the health of the country's individuals.

In conclusion, GMOs have benefits such as advancing medical treatments, finding a solution to world hunger, and aiding the economy and nutrition of underdeveloped countries. Despite anti-GMO activist opinions that GMO consumption is unsafe for humans, research has shown that there is no link between GMOs and health concerns.
Rachel, your opening anecdote is nice but not really informative. It would be an improvement in your presentation if you can address a concern that the shopper has that led to her moving on from the GMO food product. Since this is a persuasive essay, you should use the opening anecdote to lay the foundation as to why the shopper has a misconception about GMO products.

When you discuss Bill Nye and the other person, you should indicate what apprehensions they had about GMO's that were later in dispelled. You must also indicate how their perception of the GMO product was influenced or how they were persuaded by arguments to change their mind about the said food product. It isn't enough to just say they were non-believes but now are believers, by explaining how that happened, the reader may also be influenced by the same argument used on those people to change their minds.

Overall, you have some pretty good sources of verifiable information in this essay which helps to promote the strength and authority of your point of view. It has taken the opposing arguments into account and effectively worked to prove that these are unfounded claims. As far as I can tell, you have done a good job on this research paper. It just needs some content adjustment at certain points.

Home / Research Papers / Persuasive Research Paper on utilizing GMOs