Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 6

Project on sex trafficking - starting the first Line of an essay

karen_g 1 / -  
I'm currently working on a world issues project on sex trafficking, I have to do an 8page paper on what i already know and with all the information I have gathered. I Know what is going into my paper but I don't know how to start it. starting a paper is always hard for me.
puroodsy 3 / 16  
Usually, for such kind of paper, I would start by giving an overview- writing about the current situation. Since you already have the information on the topic, it wouldn't be too hard to pick out some shocking statistics to grab the attention of readers. After that, carry on by stating the arguments you are trying to raise, or clarifications that you wish to make in the paper. The essay will flow by itself after that. :)

Hope it helps! All the best for your paper!
A overview is a great idea! However, it might be possible for you to channel real inspiration onto the page and let the intro take a form based on your creative inclination.

Write all the body paragraphs. Revise them until you like them. Think of your central idea -- the idea you would tell me if you had to explain the essay's message in a single sentence. Then, when you have finished the whole thing it will be easy to write an inspired intro.

The first line must be based on what you ultimately want the reader to experience or agree with. Lead the reader's attention.

:-)
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
It should not matter what the first sentence is. If you feel there is so much hanging on it, you need to work on the paper in general.
It should not matter what the first sentence is.

Well, I think it matters, but I know what you mean. The rest of the essay is what established the experience we want the reader to have, and the experience we want them to have can be achieved though a step-by-step process. The first sentence of the essay is like taking the first step. Always weirdly difficult.

The first sentence commits you a little to something. That's why I like to write it LAST!! I hate commitment.
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
I think a direct approach is best for less advanced writers. Consider the upside to a spectacular opening sentence; the author captures the audience's attention, and the next eight pages must pass that high standard. On the other hand, sacrificing style for a lucid first paragraph will at least ensure some stability. Often times, it is hard to write the first sentence due to a lack of purpose about what the author wants to convey and -- more importantly -- why the person wants to convey it. If the author is not an especially strong writer, the tone of the paper can vacillate and sound overburdened, causing the reader to reject the message in his/her heart.

Home / Research Papers / Project on sex trafficking - starting the first Line of an essay