Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Real v Artificial Christmas Trees

dargaez 1 / -  
Can you guys check out my recent essay ? Thanks in advance! Here is the topic:

HW:

Complete a rough draft of your persuasive research paper.

Every year people are faced with the question: do we bring out the old artificial tree from the attic, or treat ourselves to a live tree for the holidays? Memories rush in of the annual family trip to the corner lot that had all shapes and sizes of the trees to pick out. Overcome by the smell of freshly cut pine, you scavenged through all the trees until you found the one. Despite these fond recollections, it seems each year finances take priority and the faithful plastic tree that smells like dusty attic becomes our living room centerpiece for the season. Through the contemplation, you might justify your thrifty decision by saying that you actually did some good, telling yourself getting a real tree is not environmentally friendly, and that you did your part to save the planet. Yet surprisingly, what if I told you that you were not only wrong but that the artificial tree you just put up is probably also damaging to your health?

Most all-artificial trees are created in across the Pacific Ocean in large warehouses in China. They are made with polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a widely used synthetic; added to improve stability is lead-a proven harmful metal to humans. Exposure to this metal can cause extreme damage to your brain and kidneys that leads to death. Although it currently is no longer allowed by Chinese law, as recently as 2008, "Researchers say 50 million artificial trees are in U.S. homes, and of those, 20 million are nine years old or older...the older the tree, the more lead it will likely give off."(Gardner) The longer you hold onto your perfectly shaped Christmas tree, the more deadly it becomes to your health. So after making poisonous trees in China, millions of trees each year are then wrapped in plastic and boxed individually. Then they are shipped in large crates to be hauled on cargo ships that use literally tons of gas per day to cross the Pacific. These artificial trees are shipped across America to be bought and decorated in every home, office, and mall. When the choice is made that it's finally time to throw out the fake trees, they are sent to landfills where they lie for hundreds of years-not decomposing, and adding no benefit to the earth. "The idea that they're eco-friendly is sort of an urban myth," said Jennifer Smith, horticulturist with Kansas State University Research and Extension.

On the other side of the world, all live Christmas trees that are sold in North America are grown in North America. The land that grows the evergreen trees is often home to soil that doesn't support other crops. Many Christmas tree farmers have been around for generations. The trees, throughout their lifetime, help the earth's ecosystems by taking carbon dioxide and other gasses out of the air replacing them with oxygen. Once cut down to be shipped in large semi trucks, only lightly wrapped with thin plastic thread, these trees are each replaced by one to three new young evergreens in their place. Then, typically in an open lot, they are chosen and taken home to be smelled and enjoyed by the whole family. After the holidays are finished, most communities have designated Christmas tree drop off locations where they are collected and typically turned into mulch (or if by chance they are put in the landfill, they naturally decompose within a couple of years adding nutrients to the earth). Also, rather than the harmful dangers of having an artificial tree in your home, there is evidence that a live Christmas tree actually benefits your health. Dr. Birgitta Gatersleben, an environmental psychologist at the University of Surrey, said there was "plenty of evidence' that households enjoying a real festive fir tree benefit from 'exposure to natural environments."

Though artificial Christmas trees have been popular in recent years, research shows that getting back to the good old fashion Christmas tree is not only good for the environment but also for your health. Don't be fooled by the reusability of artificial trees-their eco-footprint and potential detriment to human health far outweigh the convenience and cost savings that come from pulling out the fake tree year after year. Let's make a real difference in saving the world and no longer supporting artificial trees. Rather let us instead make some great memories by getting the family together and making a new tradition to look forward to every year: a real Christmas tree.

Works Cited:

"Lead Found In Holiday Decorations." Lead Found In Holiday Decorations - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Gardner, Bill. "Real Christmas trees 'better for your health' than artificial ones." The Telegraph, Telegraph Media Group
weext 1 / 4 3  
I think that the first two sentences of your essay are generalizations. They would only be true if everyone in your audience has had a live Christmas tree or has gotten a chance to go to a lot to pick out a live tree like you suggested. I can tell you, I have never had a live tree and neither have I experienced that rush of picking a live one.

Since 2008, trees made with PVC were banned. It has been almost ten years since then. Were those trees made prior to 2008 still shipped and sent to the US for consumption/usage? And it is safe to assume or state that if you have a newer tree, post-2008, it won't be hazardous to your health? I think you made a valid point about Christmas trees being landfill waste since it can't decompose, are there any stats about how many artificial trees lay in waste? Since 20 out of the 50 million trees are 9 years or older.

Live trees support more jobs for people who grow, tend to, and cut down live trees. It is tree that trees absorb carbon dioxide to release oxygen, but I think it's a logical fallacy to say that using live trees (which lead to the trees being cut down and halting the photosynthesis process) will be a benefit to the environment. Three new trees will be grown in it's place. But it takes 7-10 years for trees to grow. The immediate trade off is not beneficial, it will take a lot of time for the trade off to be seen.

This persuasive argument does have a good start, but I think that you need to address certain issues with live trees that are common fears or concerns for consumers: bugs/insects and fire hazards. Real trees that are dry are a huge fire hazard and can catch fire quickly, potentially undoing any 'good' that it might be doing.

I'm not a tree expert of anything, but I thought I'd point these things out and hopefully strengthen your arguments.
Daniel, there is a point for discussion in your essay that could have winningly persuaded the reader to your side of the discussion, but you failed to follow through on. The information from Dr. Gatersleben regarding exposure to natural environments needs to be followed through on. What sort of beneficial exposure does one get from having a dying pine tree in his house? Consider the contradicting discussion that there are people who are allergic to pine and therefore, prefer the plastic variety will be used to disprove your information, how would you deal with it in the presentation? An effective persuasive essay always considers the possible zingers coming from the other side to weaken your POV. Make sure to address these possible opposing views in your research in order to create a balanced persuasive paper that allows the reader to make his own decision based on facts and various points of view.

Home / Research Papers / Real v Artificial Christmas Trees