Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Reviving the Victory Garden - English 102 Research Paper

Sarahi 1 / -  

Reviving the Victory Garden

The average home lot in the Phoenix metropolitan area is approximated to be 7,200 square feet. Think about how much space that really is- how is it being utilized? For some it is a nuisance of landscape to upkeep, a battlefield of toys to pick up or just the right size for a pool. Either way, there is work to be done. The super occupied lives of most suburban families leaves them wanting less yard maintenance so the solution-cover it up with a solid surface such as rock, cement or pavers. This seems like the logical choice; no more watering, mowing or complaints from homeowners associations or spouses over the upkeep. Simple, effective solution or a loss of essential gardening skills? It is the parent's responsibility to must pass on the necessary skills for independence and self-reliance. The invaluable ability of becoming self-sufficient is based on learning and understanding urban gardening, preserving/storing food and raising small livestock.

Gardening is growing any assortment of living plants which can be edible or non-edible. Urban gardening is the same but also encompasses using all available space to produce the highest yield and most variety of foods for consumption; "You don't need lots of land for backyard gardening and self-sufficiency; you just need, sun, soil, water, and determination to succeed!" (Bax). Gardening for the production of food is a growing trend and a throwback to decades ago when selecting vegetables and herbs from the family garden was the assigned chore for the children before that night's dinner. Gardening involves all members of the family. It is an enjoyable activity that gets everyone out of the house and into the fresh air and is especially enjoyable the 8 months of the year when the rest of the nation envies our weather. "You'll still be shocked at how much you accomplish with every single hour of effort" (UrbanFarm).

There are numerous health benefits to gardening. From eating organic foods to exercise from the labor of tending to the garden. "If you make it a priority, your children will be healthier and happier for it" (Welch). Preserving and promoting a healthy lifestyle is the primary reason most people choose to garden. It is an inexpensive way to promote well-being "including exercise, exposure to vitamin D from sunshine, and the capacity of light to counter seasonal depression" (WebMD). Aside from the health benefits another reason to garden at home is to save money, "every $1 spent on seeds and supplies yields at least $25 worth of vegetables" (Houselogic). Seeds are inexpensive and can be regenerated. Growing food will vastly reduce the cost of produce from the grocery bill. "Three to five large clay pots are enough: one for favorite herbs, one for a shrub or tree, another for flowers or vegetables...it's very restorative to have something that's dependent on you" (WebMD).

Preserving/storing food is the second link in the self-sufficiency chain. This ensures there is always food regardless of season and more importantly that there is no waste. Preserving food means canning, freezing or dehydration food for future use. Preserving food does not cause loss of any nutritional value in the food. Meats can also be preserved by dehydration extending the shelf life significantly. "Canning produces flavorful, high-quality food that saves money, builds self- reliance and creates lifelong memories" (Mother Earth New). Another technique is to dry or dehydrate the food for preserving. "Drying does not violently heat food, it does not destroy...the nutrients. Dried foods can be reconstituted by adding water or often simply consumed dry" ( Preserve Food). There are also other options in storing food that would work for most people in the US except us here in the Arizona heat, "the simplest storage of all, I guess, is no storage at all. Jerusalem artichokes, for example, are very poor indoor keepers but they may be left in the ground indefinitely after first frost and dug throughout the winter as needed. Other crops ï such as kale, collards, parsnips, salsify, leeks and Brussels sprouts ï also withstand cold weather readily and can be left in the ground right through the winter in all but the most severe climates" (Mother Earth News).

Storing food is as important as properly preserving it. There are many products that can extend the life of food such as mason jars, dehydrators and plastic- airtight containers. "Buying a long term food supply is a good choice, and will save you thousands of dollars in the long run as food prices continue to increase" ( Wise Food Supply). Although most people do not store food for long-term storage, it is advisable to keep a supply of food in case of an emergency; "for decades, government and religious organizations have urged people to prepare themselves by storing extra food and water. In light of recent disasters and unsettled economic times, it is becoming easy to see the importance of doing so" (Daily Bread). Storing food and water is the responsible thing to do for any family to be prepared in any instance.

The third step in the self-reliance triangle is raising small livestock. Raising small livestock in a suburban setting is the most difficult to follow step in becoming self-sufficient. Many people are unsure if they know how to raise an animal that is not a pet. Chickens? A Goat? What will the neighbors think? Raising animals will ensure more food is available for consumption and there is also the added benefit of being able to share the excess produced with extended family; i.e. eggs, cheese and meat.

Chickens are the introductory small livestock for most urban farmers. They provide fresh eggs daily, reproduce quickly and provide meat. The fresh eggs provided by backyard chickens are the easiest source of protein to produce for your family. They contain numerous health benefits over tore bought eggs such as:

a. 1/3 the Cholesterol of store bought eggs
b. 2/3 more vitamin A
c. 1/4 less saturated fat
d. 2 times the amount of Omega 3 fatty acids
e. 3 times the amount of Vitamin E
f. 7 times more Beta Carotene
according to Backyard Chickens. There are other benefits to keeping chickens in your backyard. Their waste can "make excellent chemical free pest and weed control" (Backyard Chickens). This solves the problem of what to do with the waste, also the nitrogen in chicken waste makes an excellent fertilizer for your garden.

Another animal that is relatively easy to raise is small goats. Raising goats will also introduce meat, milk and cheese into your food supply. They are easy to care for and small breeds can be purchased for smaller yards. It was surprising to learn through research how raising backyard goats is becoming very popular. "It used to be a necessity to have a goat or cow in the barn so you had fresh healthy milk for the family. Well, it is back and is a rewarding thing to do. When you have your own fresh milk you can make many things, yogurt, kefir, cheeses, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, etc...let your mind go wild, and all without hormones or antibiotics" (Out Standing In The Garden). The United States is one of few countries in the world where most of its citizens do not consume goat meat; whereas "65 percent of the red meat consumed globally is goat meat" (HobbyFarms).

There is peace of mind in knowing no matter what happens: loss of employment, a natural disaster or increasing food prices there will always be food on the table and a safe source of drinking water if the above mentioned actions are followed. The work is minimal compared to the benefits it produces and the lessons learned for all members of the family. Gardening and raising animals also allows for total control over what is introduced into your food source. With all of these benefits there is no reason for there to continue to be "desert landscapes".

Work Cited

I have one but its not allowed to post!!!
For some, it is a nuisance of landscape to keep up , a battlefield of toys to pick up or just the right size for a pool.

The super occupied lives of most suburban families leaves them wanting less yard maintenance, so the solution-cover it up with a solid surface such as rock, cement or pavers.

Gardening is the process of growing any assortment of living plants which can be edible or non-edible.

Urban gardening is the same, but also encompasses using all available space...A comma usually comes before the word 'but'.

From eating organic foods to exercise,from the labor of tending to the garden is good for you .

Preserving food means canning, freezing or dehydrating food for future use.

Storing food and water is the responsible thing to do for any family to be prepared in any instant .

They contain numerous health benefits over store bought eggs such as:

There is peace of mind in knowing no matter what happens: loss of employment, a natural disaster or increasing food prices, there will...

:)

Home / Research Papers / Reviving the Victory Garden - English 102 Research Paper