Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Safer Streets Include Guns

tvanmierlo97 1 / -  
Safer Streets Include Guns

As gun ownership has risen to an all-time high, the nation's total violent crime rate has fallen to a 44-year low and the murder rate has fallen to an all-time low. (NRA-ILA, Crime/Criminal Justice) Throughout history guns have proven to prevail and assist in powerful triumphs. Guns are a tremendous tool that not only help conquer goals but keep society safe and in order as well. Guns are a necessary element in keeping our streets safe. Guns will make the streets safer by providing a sense of security, modifying people's views, and protecting the future.

Guns have proven to enlighten an individuals sense of security knowing they are not a weak target. Security of one's self and belongings is something people strive to obtain. "If a criminal attacks you on the street or in your home, you cannot afford to wait 30 minutes, 20 minutes, or even 10 minutes for the police to arrive -- assuming that you even get the chance to call police and they respond. Ten minutes is more than enough time for a thug to rob, rape, murder, or cripple you for life." (Kopel, Will You Be Safer If Guns are Banned?) This proves that law enforcement although it has many benefits it may not always be the best resource. Having a gun with you will allow you to be safer quicker by being able to eliminate your threat as fast and efficient as possible. Knowing you are safe from the unknowing while in public is another way to obtain peace of mind. "A survey of felons for the federal government found that 40 percent had not committed one or more crimes because they feared that their prospective victims were armed. Thirty-four percent had been scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim". (NRA-ILA, Crime/Criminal Justice) This means that even just the presence of a gun will deter the evil minded. While having a gun on your person may be alarming to some it is definitely doing its job by eliminating the possibility of a threat. All though having guns with and on a person is one of the most important parts of creating safer streets, it is not the only way.

In order for guns to completely make a difference people must understand that guns are not bad and that they provide a lot more than what the media portrays. Often times the media can paint an awful picture in someone's mind by constantly portraying the negatives of guns. "Guns don't kill people; people kill people. And people need more gun education and mental illness screening to prevent massacres." (ProCon.org, Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?) The fact that guns kill people is one of the largest fallacies a person can believe. In order for a gun to work there must be an operator behind it telling it everything to do. People thinking that guns are the problem shows there is some ignorance to the matter given that with out a user it is quite simply just an object. With an unfortunate turn of events in the United States there has been several mass casualty events involving guns. Although this is a huge tragedy to the families of the victims and to the U.S. the media continues to throw blame on guns."With recent events such as, the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the Aurora Movie Theater shooting, Chardon High School shooting, it is hard to not view gun control as a very important issue, that must be resolved". (Beck, Different Views on Gun Control) Perceptions of guns are often influenced do to the way families are raised. "As long as you are a law-abiding, responsible person, owning a gun does not endanger you and could save your life in an emergency". (Kopel, Will You Be Safer If Guns are Banned?) In a house hold where guns and other weapons are viewed highly people understand the importance of guns and the laws that come with it. If you are raised to be law abiding and responsible you have absolutely no reason to believe that a gun will hurt, you or others when you use them. However, some families feel as though guns represent evil and are not welcome into the houses and cause them to think poorly of them. "Guns are a bit like chest x-rays. If you really need them, they can be helpful to have around, and even save lives. If you don't need them, and yet are constantly exposed to them, they represent a constant threat while conferring little or no benefit". (Donahue, Facts Do Not Support Claim That Guns Make Us Safer) This shows someone who clearly does not worry about others hurting him or his property. This is the type of person who like many who do not support guns, do not fully understand the benefits of owning a gun for protection. Giving people the knowledge they need to know about how guns are necessary for safety will greatly increase the amount of security as well as safety on the streets.

Guns must be involved today in order to have a future where worries can be less evident. Without guns the rate of crimes would increase drastically. "Violent crime has decreased as gun control restrictions have been eliminated or rolled back at the federal, state and local levels". (NRA-ILA, Crime/Criminal Justice) As stated previously the presence of a gun is a natural deterrent that will cause the evil minded to think twice before acting. With Americans unable to protect themselves we are highly susceptible to having attacks on us in both foreign and domestic ways. "Today more than ever we need our guns to protect ourselves from rampaging criminals and to deter would-be tyrants. The mere presence of many guns in many American households is enough to deter many would-be aggressors". (Kopel, Will You Be Safer If Guns are Banned?) History has shown and continues to write itself that guns stop many bad people. There have been several attempted mass shootings that where abolished by another who was carrying a gun on them and willing to stand up for themselves and others. "The Second Amendment of the US Constitution reads, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". (ProCon.org, Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?) The second Amendment is a living document that we as Americans live our values by. Amendments state Americans rights as well as set regulations that must be followed. If we were to ban guns from the streets not only would society be unsafe we would be infringing our rights as U.S. citizens.

Guns will make the streets safer by providing a sense of security, modifying people's views, and protecting the future. Research has proven that guns that are taken away from societies are unsafe. Studies show that crime goes down and criminals are deterred when guns are present. Guns are what helped build this great nation and will continue to do so in the future. With people receiving the proper knowledge of guns and having them introduced to us at a younger age will help in the normality of owning a gun and the perks that come with it. In order for society and the streets to be a safer place both now and in the future guns must be incorporated.

Works Cited

Aggregate, Menu SLS |Legal, John J. Donohue III, and Sharon Driscoll. "Professor John Donohue: Facts Do Not Support Claim That Guns Make Us Safer | Stanford Law School." Stanford Law School.

Beck Lauren, "Different Views on Gun Control." Different Views on Gun Control.
Farago October 1, 2016 71 Comments, Dave Kopel. "Oregon Judge: Disarm Everyone! - The Truth About Guns." The Truth About Guns.

"Gun Control - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines.

NRA-ILA. "NRA-ILA | Crime | Criminal Justice." NRA-ILA.
Pramudia27 34 / 55 2  
hello @tvanmierlo97. this is my suggestion for your writing.. hopefully it can help you..

... but keep society safe and in order to beas well.

Guns have proven to enlighten anof individuals sense of security knowing that they are not a weak target.
... belongings is somethingfor people that strive to obtain.
... although it has many benefits, and it may not always be the best resource. Having a gun with you will allow you to ...
... safe from the unknowing people while in public is
... gun on your person may be alarming to somesomething, it is definitely doing...
All thoughalthough having guns with and on a person is ...

In order for guns to completely to make completely a difference ...
... by constantly portraying the negativesdrawbacks of guns.
... is one of the largest fallacies that a person can believe.

Home / Research Papers / Safer Streets Include Guns