Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Service Dogs: Helping those with Special Needs.

bbarnett84 1 / -  
Introduction
Service dogs help many types of people with special needs. These amazing dogs range from small dogs used as companion dogs, to dogs for those that could not get around without them. It takes a lot of work to train one of these dogs up to 3 years of work from puppy to adult dog.

History
In 1990 was when the "Americans with Disabilities Act" was first rolled out however service dogs were in use long before that. 1928 was when the first Seeing Eye dog arrived in the United States. 1929 the use of the Seeing Eye dog became an acceptable use. After that Seeing Eye dogs were the only service type dog recorded until the 1960's when others started to emerge. In 1996 the role included autism which paved the way for epileptic service dogs. 2012 marked the beginning of the PTSD service dog. (NEADS)

Until 1928 dogs were used primarily as search or defense dogs. From the Egyptians to the Europeans even the Roman Empire. It is believed that they noticed that when strangers came around the dogs would start barking and basically would be sounding an alarm to protect from outside harm. (NEADS)

Special Needs
Service dogs help those who are blind, have epilepsy, autistic children and adults, also those whom need companion dogs. There are many reasons for service dogs. Without service dogs many people would not have the independence that a service dog can provide.

Seeing Eye dogs have been around the longest out of all the service dogs. 1928 is when they started surfacing, and they have been doing good ever since. The seeing eye dog paved the way for all the rest of the service animals to be trained. (Muhlenberg)

The autistic service dog and epilepsy service dog have similar training. Most epilepsy service dogs have a base training that is the autistic service dogs training. The additional training is the ability to notice when their owner is having a seizure or if they are really good they notice that it is coming. This is a crucial time for someone having a seizure if the dog gives a pre-notice, or even after they notice when the seizure is happening and alert someone to come and help. This is a huge help to those with seizures, and can be the difference between brain damage and no brain damage.

Companion dogs are not just any dog off the street. They have training as well, their tasks can include but are not limited to assistance in medical crisis, treatment assistance, helping the owner with emotional overload, and security enhancement tasks. Each of these tasks have many different items associated including a K-9 rescue phone and call 911 or the suicide hotline. They do much more than most might think. (Froling)

Conclusion
People with special needs that have a service dog have more independence than they would have. In some instances this means without a service dog they would not be able to leave their house or even the care of additional help. Service dogs provide a huge service to those with special needs.

Works Cited
Froling, Joan. "Service dog tasks for panic disorder, PTSD, and depression." 30 July 2009. IAADP.org. Electronic Article. 28 November 2015.
Muhlenberg. "History of dog guides." N/A. Muhlenberg. electronic article.
NEADS. "Assistance Dogs." 6 august 2013. wordpress. Electronic Article. 28 November 2015.
Brad, the research reads more like an overview of your outline. It has the feel of an annotated bibliography rather than a full length documentary paper. Are you only supposed to deliver summarized information instead of in-depth analysis and information about the Service Dogs? The information that you currently have provided per topic is quite short and does not really offer an informative look at the history and use of these kinds of dogs. it would really help me to deliver a more accurate review if you could offer up the parameters set for your research paper by your professor. I need to know exactly what your professor expects you to deliver in this paper. Without it, it is a little hard to analyze the content of your paper.

When you discuss the history of the service dogs, try to start from the past going to the present and future of the service dog industry. Try to depict a clear idea of the history of the service. You only have a few lines referring to the history of this highly serviceable dog training at the moment. I am sure that there is more to the history of the service than what you currently indicate. Talk about the problems that the service used to face and it how overcame the difficulties of starting the service. What was the early opinion of the people who used the service? How has that point of view been changed or enhanced in our current times? Use the changing point of view about the service to lead you into the PTSD service the dogs now provide and where the future seems to be taking these canine friends of ours.

For the latter part of your essay that discusses the service dogs abilities, don't just say the topic is "Special Needs". It sounds like you do not have an interest in the discussion. I would suggest saying "Special Dogs for Special Needs" or something like that so that it can immediately tell the reader that there will be classes of canines and their abilities to help humans being discussed in the topic.
Brad, I would honestly tell you right now, your research paper lack a whole lot of important
elements that will make it work and pass through.

First of all, it's quiet short for a regular or normal research paper, well, the length is the least of your worries,
because you can have the longest essay but it's still not serving it's purpose.
Now, this part of your research is still too early to be sent out for submission.

I believe you still need a lot of research to be done and incorporate some arguments, ideas, thoughts,
work citations, facts and figures that will back up your essay.

I suggest writing about a couple more paragraphs depicting the needs of special people for dogs and companion in general.
When you add information make sure that the works cited are credible enough to back you up for just in case situations.

Home / Research Papers / Service Dogs: Helping those with Special Needs.