Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 4

'the significance of sleep in people's life' - correct the essay

Barzakh1 2 / 2  
I would appreciate of someone could help me in correcting and using academic English words in my essay, thanks.

People are often being so ignorance about the significance of their sleep life, and they do not know about the enormous suffering amount of the consequences. Sleep Deprivation remains a controversial issue as most people do not take their time to consider it. In the article "A Third of Life", Paul Martin who holds a PhD in behavioural biology from Cambridge University asserts that "Sleep: a state so familiar yet so strange. It is the single most common form of human behaviour and you will spend a third of your life doing it" (462). Martin believes that sleep is one of the most important features of human behaviour which unfortunately people are so ignorant about it. Another article "Sleep Debt and the Mortgaged Mind" written by William Dement, one of the founders of modern sleep medicine, is mentioning the same point and explains the important role of sleep in our lives as he states "Sleep is a basic drive of nature, like hunger. If you go long enough without food, you can think of nothing else." (500). Dement is comparing sleep to hunger as two of human basic and important needs to prove the significance of sleep deprivation issue. But what if people do not make this third in their lives? Why are people so ignorant about such an important topic in their lives? Most people are suffering from ignorance of sleep deprivation and they never take the consequences into consideration. Due to the societal demands and new technology, people are required to work hard regardless of knowing about the importance of the sleep.

An extent amount of people cheat on sleep, and get away with it for the longest time. Ignorance of sleep or "Sleep Deprivation" is one of the biggest causes of unhealthy life and has ample consequences. According to Lawrence Epstein in the article "Improving Sleep", "About 60 million Americans have insomnia frequently or for extended periods of time. About half of all people over 65 have frequent sleeping problems, and an estimated 40 million Americans have a chronic sleep disorder such as sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, or narcolepsy" (471). The amount of sleep a person needs also increases if he or she has been deprived of sleep in previous days. Getting too little sleep creates a "sleep debt", which is much like being overdrawn at a bank. Eventually, your body will demand that the debt be repaid. We don't seem to adapt to getting less sleep than we need, while we may get used to a sleep-depriving schedule, our judgment, reaction time, and other functions are still impaired. Dement also expresses the same ideas of ignorance as Epstein, when he mentions
jincera1 2 / 11 3  
Very impersonal, try to add some examples
OP Barzakh1 2 / 2  
Mr Zafari thank you for your big help, you are amazing and you helped me very much in this essay, I hope you could help me in others too. I realy appreciate your help

Kheili mamnon. :)
Farbod.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
I hope you could help me in others too

I'm glad that you found my comments useful. It would be my pleasure to help.

Home / Research Papers / 'the significance of sleep in people's life' - correct the essay