Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Tactile/Kinesthetic Learner - Learning Styles

TKwriter 1 / 2  
Hello,

My assignment was to write a research paper 3-5 pages in length on Learning Styles. The Tactile/Kinesthetic Style type in-particular. Research essays are really not my strong point as I found out in my Outline. I tend to use to much creativity, and opinion. Any advice would be great thanks in advance. Additionally, it is suppose to be in APA Format.

My Essay:
(I have omitted the cover page & reference page)

The Active Learning Style

There are three different types of basic learning styles, before we go any further lets stop right here for a minute. You are probably are already asking yourself "What is a learning style?". Lamarche-Bisson (2002) defined it simply as "a preferred way of acquiring knowledge and processing information" (Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles section, para. 2). Additionally Guild and Garger (1998) have offered a more detailed definition "basic and consistent patterns in personality influence many aspects of personal and professional behavior. In general, they can be called personality styles. When they affect learning, we call them learning styles." (Marching to Different Drummers (2nd Edition), p 24). This definition suggest that not only do these styles determine the best way an individual learns, but can also be seen through an individuals personality, and behavior in everyday life.

Now that we have an idea of exactly what a learning style is we can go over the three basic types of learning styles. First, there is the Visual Learning Style. The Visual Learner understands, and takes in information better when it is presented in picture format. If you give them directions in a text format the visual learner wont pick it up as quick as they would if there were pictures illustrating what the text is saying. Second is the Audio Learning Style, and just as the name suggests Audio Learners learn things a lot quicker when they hear, or have a chance to discuss what it is they are learning. Lastly, is the Tactile/Kinesthetic Learning Style, this type of learner is known as the Active Learner. He/She learns best not from explanation or direction; but from simply just doing it. The Tactile/Kinesthetic Learning Style is what we are going to discuss in this paper. We are going to define exactly what Tactile/Kinesthetic learning is. Additionally, we also discuss the pros and cons of being an Active Learner; and how to best work with, and as an Active Learner.

So, by now you are asking yourself "What exactly is the Tactile/Kinesthetic Learning Style?", "What does being an Active Learner Mean?", or even "Why is it important that I know there are different styles of learning?". Lets start off with exactly what the Tactile Learning style is. Silverman (2006) explained that in the Tactile/Kinesthetic Learning Style, "Learning comes through touching and physical sensation. Thinking is anchored by movement, and touch, often three-dimensional, and usually all or nothing understanding of concepts. Demonstration or application works better than words to illustrate ideas." (Learning Styles, p. 71) .

Now we know that the active learner is a more of doer, that would rather take action and learn something, or find a solution problem. To the active learner this is much easier and more effective than sitting around think of, or planning different courses of action. Additionally, this tells us that the active learner is very much controlled by impulse; and most of the time will act first without thinking. Some of the other traits people often attribute to active learners are; disorganized, absent-minded, and hyperactive. Some of these traits and lack of understanding of the diversity of learning styles often leads to negative labeling of the active learner. Leviton said as cited by Silverman (2006):

"Most believe we learn only one way, so when students don't get it, the teachers
look for another problem such as ADD, or oppositional behavior, or other types of
learning disabilities, not that maybe there's another way to present the information to
them."(Learning Styles, p. 71).
This is why it is important that people become more aware of learning styles; what they are, and how to identify them.
There are many positive things that come from being an active learner. One in particular is that usually remember what they do. This means if you ask an active learner for directions to a place he has been before, they most likely can not tell you how to get there. However, he can get in his car and drive there without a second thought. This is due to the fact that they learn best when using there muscle groups and acting to learn. Additionally, this also usually means that they generally have good motor memory, and coordination. This also means that active learners are usually good athletes; and suitable to learn new hobbies that require movement such as learning to play instrument. In general active learners are quick witted and capable of reacting precisely on the fly to find a solution to many problems that may arise in school; work, or life in general. Another pro for the Tactile/Kinesthetic learning style as stated Clapper (2010):

"One of the best parts of this useful and active learning strategy is the assessment tool. Learning is assessed through the explanation of the event generated by each group

of learners as they brief. It becomes very clear whether the learner knows their topic or
not and allows the facilitator to assess both depth and detail. The same cannot always be
said for many standardized examinations that some teachers may administer and rely
upon too heavily."(Professionals Against Improperly Labeling Active Learners, p. 3)
As previously stated they are controlled by impulse and usually act without thinking. However, if this impulse is reigned in, and focused in the right direction the active learner will be capable of accomplishing many amazing feats. Things like calling an audible in the last seconds of a big game and throwing the game winning touchdown pass; Saving someones life on the operating table when a routine surgery is not quite so routine; Fixing the broken landing gear on an aircraft in the air that needs to make a landing.

However just like anything in life that has pros there are also cons to the Tactile/Kinesthetic Learning Style. The active learner usually has a short attention span, and does not do well in long lecture type environments. This can cause the active to seem disruptive or hyperactive; because most of the time their body will try to keep the mind active so that it has a better chance to learn. This can lead to what most people call annoying ticks such as; foot tapping, pen clicking, or finger tapping. This is not done to annoy or disrupt fellow students, or teachers, but because the active learner needs some sort of physical connection, or activity to remember things. Additionally, active learners are often viewed as unorganized or unprepared do to lack of future planning. However, the systems they do have in place generally work for them.

Finally we are going to discuss some tips to successfully work with or teach to an active learner. It is important that we know how to work with and educate different learning styles. As Guild and Garger (1998) so urgently point out to us that learners, teachers, and schools are hurt by the fact that there is a great imbalance in diversity and uniformity in today's education system.

Knowing that active learners have a short attention also makes us privy to the fact that they learn best in short bursts. The active learner should be given breaks in between learning sessions. We also know that secondary movement helps the active learner absorb information. It is not always possible to provide this opportunity, but If it can be afforded than it should be considered for the benefit of the learner. This was covered by Guild and Garger (1998) by stating that "an active, hands-on learner who does not have the opportunity to use that approach in a positive way in the classroom is described as lacking self-control and labeled disruptive or hyperactive."(Marching to Different Drummers (2nd Edition), p. 16 ) Obviously one can not dribble a basketball while reading a book in class however, taking notes or highlighting passages can help keep the active learner focused. Hands on learning such as practical exercises are also great for the active learner, as well as field trips.

The active learner will excel at tasks such as multiple choice quizzes, but suffer at tasks such as research essays. They prefer more lavish creative writing to cut and dry facts. Does this mean they can not do it, no. It simply means they need to work a little harder, and find a way to utilize their learning style to complete the tasks.

In conclusion we have learned that there are many different types of learning styles. If we have not learned anything else from this paper I hope we at least learned that just because there is a different way, that does not mean it is the wrong way. I feel that we as a society need to work harder at identifying the different learning styles, and diversifying our education to better accommodate all learning styles. Guild and Garger (1998) stated that "Understanding learning differences will help educators facilitate, structure, and validate successful learning for every student."(Marching to Different Drummers (2nd Edition), p. 31) I am inclined to agree with this and say that everyone benefits from a successful learning environment. I encourage everyone to learn more about all the learning styles; help yourself, and all learners unlock their full potential.
Here are a few mistakes I found, some are just me being picky;

There are three different types of basic learning styles, but before we go any further lets stop right here for a minute.

This definition suggests that not only do these ...

If you give them directions in a text format the visual learner wont pick them up as quick as they would if there

Additionally, we also discuss the pros and cons of being an Active...

Now we know that the active learner is a more of doer who would rather take action and learn something, or find a solution to a problem.

To the active learner this is much easier and more effective than sitting around thinking of, or planning different courses of action.

One in particular is that they usually remember what they do.

However just like anything in life that has pros, there are also cons to the Tactile/Kinesthetic Learning Style.

This can cause the active learner to seem disruptive or hyperactive; because most...

Additionally, active learners are often viewed as dis organized or unprepared due to lack of future planning.

I learned that I'm an active learner! Good luck in school and have fun!
:)

Home / Research Papers / Tactile/Kinesthetic Learner - Learning Styles