Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 17

Thesis Statement for global warming research paper

ferzanaramin 1 / -  
Is this a good thesis statement for my global warming research paper?

Global Warming has been a big issue that has effects on the environment, people, and the world, and if not stopped now, the results could be catastrophic.
Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
You may check my previous responses on the global warming "issue". It has been a big issue in the media only and among the politicians. Other than that, it is NOT POSSIBLE to stop it, like it is not possible to stop wind from blowing. The bigger concern would be to stop the freezing era that will come in about 20K years and then I guess people will only laugh at the statements of their fathers about the 'global warming' issues.

But other than that, if you want to go with the flow of the false mainstream media, your thesis is good.
Your thesis should be more specific than it currently is. Examples of good thesis statements about global warming would include the following:

1. Man-made CO2 emissions must be reduced by at least 80% by 2020 if we are to avert a global warming disaster.

2. Global warming is increasing the frequency and intensity of tropical storms.

3. Global warming is primarily a beneficial natural phenomenon that should not concern us.

4. A rational cost-benefit analysis of most global warming scenarios indicates that it would be cheaper and more effective to prepare to adapt to a warmer climate than it would be to try to prevent global warming.

Merely saying that it is "a big issue," and that it "has effects on the environment" is not enough. Saying the results would be catastrophic is a bit better, but still a bit vague. Plus, it smacks of hyperbole.

Note that the fact that someone could disagree with your thesis does not make it a bad one to write on. On the contrary, a good thesis should provoke strong disagreement from at least some quarters. That is, it should be debatable. "Water freezes at zero degrees Celsius under normal conditions" is perfectly true, but not a good thesis, because it is a fact that no one would seriously considering arguing against. All of the theses I've listed above could be the basis for a strong essay, because it would be possible to argue for or against them. I imagine Rich would disagree with 1 and 2, for instance, but he might accept either 3 or 4. No one could logically agree with all of them simultaneously.

Good luck with your essay.
Wow, Sean's response here is probably among the best explanations we have given about the way to write a good thesis statement. I will refer other members to this thread when they need to learn about the way to write a meaningful thesis statement for their essays.

Ferzana, if you are in high school maybe this sort of thing is new to you, so if you want a simple thesis that is debatable, perhaps consider:

Even though people disagree about global warming, we should still make it a top priority to reduce the amount of harmful emissions unnecessarily released into the atmosphere.

That might be easier to work with, but it is still a little too general.
Don't forget, too, that whatever thesis you pick, you have to be able to make a strong argument for it. So, you might want to research global warming a bit to see what evidence there is that it is occurring and that man-made CO2 emissions are responsible. You might also look at articles discussing the costs that would be involved in adapting to global warming and the costs that would be involved in slowing or preventing it. And, of course, there are technological solutions, too (geo-engineering through iron fertilization would be one of the more viable alternatives). If you have no strong opinion yourself either way, your ability to find sources will probably dictate what you write about. So, if you find five website in your initial search that all talk about how global warming is exaggerated or a hoax, you'd write on how the problem is exaggerated or a hoax. If you found five websites that all talked about how serious a problem it is, then you'd write about that.

Note that the ease with which you find sources online has nothing to do with how strong or valid the argument for a given position actually is. Web site search engines list the most popular and the newest sites first, without regard to their content. However, if you have no particular opinion on the issue, then there is no reason not to go with the position that is easier for you to find information for.

On the other hand, if you have the time, you might want to consider writing from a position that you strongly disagree with. Being able to argue your opponent's point of view well is a valuable skill that ultimately strengthens your ability to present your own case, while ensuring that your case is more likely to be right.
tau 4 / 10  
are there any research paper about these thesis statement..if yeah can i take a look at it? please
petstar21 2 / 2  
I think the thesis can use some work and better diction
Tau, you can look at Google Scholar and type "global warming" to see lots of articles.

Good luck!!
Yeah, global warming is a hot topic, pun fully intended, so you should have no problem tracking down research sources for an essay on it.
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
Did you HAVE to choose global warming?

I just feel like it has been worn to death, and borrowing a page out of Rich's book, in a determinist vein, I don't think we will be able to stop whatever final calamity inevitably befalls mankind. Whether it is the sun burning up the earth, which scientists predict will happen in billions of years (wiping out all traces of our existence, AND purpose, for those less apt to believe in a higher being/afterlife), or something much more imminent and unexpected which I'm inclined to believe, I don't think humans can prevent against something on the scale that would threaten their viability. We are finite and there are threats we cannot possibly anticipate or avoid.

I have to say though, Sean's post was cogent and resourceful. He presented some novel arguments, although I think you might want to be wary of picking something that will be hard for you to defend. Most times it's better to go with something that you have a conviction and passion for. I would drop global warming if I had a choice to begin with.
Most of the perennial controversial issues people write about in school have be done to death -- that's why they're perennial. Gun control, abortion, euthanasia, racial profiling, global warming, health care, death penalty, gay marriage etc. There is no way to ever truly resolve these issues because the stances people take in them are rooted in conflicting values and worldviews that each have a certain amount of validity. The point of writing on these topics is not to come up with the "correct" viewpoint, but rather to do research that gives you familiarity with the various viewpoints and the arguments for them, so that you can understand where everyone is coming from and articulate your own position coherently.
tau 4 / 10  
guys thank God i finally have to turn in my first draft for global warming...well i wouldnt do it as soon as possible if it wasnt for you guys ...big thanks goes out to you all...my english instuctor lovs it..

tau
snowman - / 4  
Need advice on global warming thesis statement

i need help with a thesis statement for global warming how it is bad does anyone have advice or an example
Gautama 6 / 133  
Please post the exact instructions given to you for this assignment.

You could talk about a myriad of different things depending on how you feel about global warming. Do some research first. Find the evidence that supports global warming and what predictions scientists make about how it will affect the world.

Once you have this basic information you can make an argument backed up by your research and examples. All you have to do is find out what you think about global warming after your research and write a sentence that sums it up. Make sure you can back that statement up with lots of evidence and ideas. Good Luck!
snowman - / 4  
global warming directions

write about global warming in your opinion in a 5 paragraph essay expressing your point directions for my post on global warming thesis
The third post in this thread lists some possible thesis statements for global warming essays:
SO much has been written about it that it is easy to find information and examples. You should start by googling "global warming" and "controversy" ...

Oh, I just tried that, and there is a wikipedia entry for Global Warming Controversy. So, check that out. Then type "global warming" into Google Scholar or some database with articles. You can decide if you believe in global warming or not. Form an opinion as you read. Every time you read something, write a paragraph about it. You'll have a paper in no time!

Home / Research Papers / Thesis Statement for global warming research paper