Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 4

Threatening FB messages by a stranger; MIT summer research / Disagreement I have had

Dezdichado 1 / 1  
I could really use some help on this essay. Feel like I could elaborate more on the essay since I can add about 130 more words.

Often, we begin to understand our own opinions only after they have been contested by other people. Describe a disagreement you have had. What, on the surface, did it appear to be about? What do you feel it was really about? How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome of the disagreement?

A few weeks ago, I constantly received threatening messages from some stranger on Facebook. This person, whom I never knew before, was outraged and demanded me to delete one of my recent posts on Facebook. This post extolled some recently-emerged public figures of our country who acclaimed themselves to be the genuine heirs of Genghis Khan and the only hope for our future. They claimed that we do not need to study and work hard; all we have to do is to worship them and they will handle everything. Frustrated by the number of people who liked the post, I shared it with some lambasting captions. Apparently, someone did not like it.

We argued over the Facebook chat for a couple more hours. He kept on yelling at me about how fatuous I was for not understanding the sacrifice and benevolence of those great "leaders" while I tried to provide him with some facts about the their educational background and make him realize how flawed their point of view was. At that time I thought it was one of the typical arguments over internet which was of no substantial importance. Nonetheless, the more I think about how some (in fact many) people are revering them, the more I become disgruntled. This issue is, I believe, no longer a minor friction between different points of view.

Our country is still underdeveloped. Though it is known that we have enormous mining and oil resources that can easily boost our economy, we are still lacking adequate workers and experts. What we need right now are educated citizens and a deft labor force. Not a bunch of people who are still in their Dark Ages. But the saddest part is not these people. It is the fact that thousands of people are believing in them.

About the argument, I ended up deleting my post. Not because I was craven and felt threatened but because it occurred to me that I should not have slighted these people even though they were totally ridiculous. I figured that teasing people for their point of view however foolish it is is not something an educated and intellectual citizen should do.
ankitrohan1 2 / 3  
You may talk about how you would react to that if it happened to you again.
OP Dezdichado 1 / 1  
That sounds like a good idea. I feel that my last paragraphs should be improved and my conclusion is very abrupt.
I think you have written this well. You have specifically told the reader what the argument was about, how you handled it, and the ultimate outcome of it. Nicely written and well constructed. And I think it would be a good idea to say what you would do if it happens again. :)

Home / Research Papers / Threatening FB messages by a stranger; MIT summer research / Disagreement I have had