Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

How are turbo-chargers more effective than superchargers?

esoriano 1 / -  
Summary/Prompt: How are turbo-chargers more effective than superchargers in running more efficiently, having a variety of applications (such as smaller displacement engines), and producing more power? Create a research paper to give insight on which side is better.

The Effectiveness of Turbo-Chargers

With the technology in today's world, there are many different methods that can be used by automotive companies, as well as everyday people, to get the most power out of their vehicles. The two main ways of getting more power instantly is through the use of nitrous oxide systems or forced induction. Although both of these are popular, forced induction is much more common due to the complexity of adding a nitrous oxide system to a car or truck. There are two different types of forced induction, turbochargers and superchargers, each with their own drawbacks. The age old question for many years is which option is better. This topic is still being discussed amongst the car culture today, so how are turbo-chargers more effective than superchargers in running more efficiently, having a variety of applications (such as smaller displacement engines), and producing more power?

Looking at how each different forced induction method works, it becomes clear which is the more effective in getting an increase in horsepower. It is important however, to understand exactly how each style works, as there are similar qualities to both. Both systems force additional air into the engine which allows for more fuel to be added. By adding extra fuel, a more powerful explosion can be created, resulting in more energy to power the wheels. Air to fuel must be correctly proportioned, "14 parts air to one part fuel -- is essential for an engine to operate efficiently," (Harris). In a much more simplified explanation, in order to get more fuel in the engine, additional air must be added also to burn the amount of fuel.

Superchargers are powered directly from the engine itself by using a belt connected to the crankshaft. This belt wraps around a pulley on the supercharger which is connected to a drive gear inside. Once the drive gear is engaged, a compressor gear is rotated. After the air has been drawn into the supercharger, it is pushed into a smaller air space and released into the intake manifold (Harris). There are three different types of superchargers, roots, twin-screw, and centrifugal, and the main difference between them is how they get the added air to the intake manifold. The roots style of supercharger is the least efficient simply because they add a significant amount of weight and move air in short bursts, as opposed to a constant flow of air (Harris). In a similar fashion of a roots supercharger, a twin-screw supercharger traps and compresses air between two interlocking rotors. Twin-screws are more effective than roots styled superchargers because of the tapered design, causing the air pockets to decrease in size and pushed into a smaller area. The most efficient type of superchargers is the centrifugal supercharger, which sucks air in, spins it outward causing it to be converted into low-speed, high-pressure air (Harris). Centrifugal superchargers are the lightest which help their efficiency compared to the heavier, roots and twin-screw superchargers.

Now as for turbo-chargers, they are much lighter compared to all the superchargers and do not require the engine's direct power to be used. Turbochargers are bolted up to the exhaust manifold which allows the gasses, that otherwise would have been wasted and disposed of via the exhaust system, to spin the turbine inside of the turbo. A compressor is connected by a shaft to this spinning turbine, and this compressor pressurizes the air flowing into the engine block (Nice). By using potential energy that will be wasted through exhaust gases, turbo-chargers are the more efficient method of forced induction. The turbine blades spin faster as more exhaust gas goes through, or simply put, as the engine revs higher so does the turbo.

For both turbo-chargers and superchargers, the process of compressing and pressurizing the air causes the air to heat up. Hot air loses its density, or "oxygen content," (TurboSmart) which is why intercoolers are an absolute necessity for both systems. By cooling the temperature, the air becomes more dense and filled with oxygen, which helps the combustion. An intercooler is essentially another radiator for the hot air that is coming from the turbo or supercharger. The intercooler "extracts heat from the compressed air by passing it through its network of tubes with cooling fins," (TurboSmart). While the compressed air is being passed through the coils, air from the outside is also passing through the intercooler, further reducing the temperature of the air. Most intercoolers are mounted on the front of cars to maximize the air flow towards it.

Based off the simple knowledge of how both turbo-chargers and superchargers work, it is clear that turbo-chargers are the more effective option. Turbo-chargers essentially reuse and recycle wasted energy to create more power to the engine, as opposed to superchargers that require power directly from the vehicle's engine.

As great as turbo-chargers are they are not perfect. The main downside for turbochargers is that at low engine speeds, turbos suffer from what is referred to as "turbo-lag". The turbine does not spin to its full speed instantly and takes a while to spool up. When the engine rpm reaches the optimum range to produce enough exhaust gasses to spool up the turbo-charger, the lag can causes the car to lunge forward once the turbine has spooled up. Turbo-lag is the only real weakness to turbos, yet there are multiple ways to limit and combat the lag.

Turbo-lag is not so much of a problem since there are many ways to help minimize or wipe it out altogether. The most simplistic method to minimize the lag would be to use smaller turbos or lightweight turbines inside the actual turbo. Smaller turbos will have smaller turbines therefore less rotational inertia would be needed to get the turbine spinning and stay spinning. This also applies to the lightweight material method. By reducing the weight of the rotational mass, less force would be required to make them spin. Although these methods help minimize the lag, they do not wipe it out completely like other systems. The most common anti-lag system found on race cars is the use of a bypass valve, also called the "bang-bang" method due to the loud pops and crackles it creates. When the throttle body is closed the air currently in the intake creates pressure which in turn compresses a spring valve. Once this spring valve is compressed and air can flow through it, the air bypasses the engine and goes directly to the exhaust manifold. While the engine is in the exhaust stroke, it is pushing unburnt fuel into the hot exhaust manifold with the added air from the bypass valve (Fenske). With the combination of these three elements (cold air, hot temperatures, fuel) a combustion occurs within the manifold which in turn keeps the turbo spooled up. This system is mostly used on race cars that can sustain the pressure of mini-explosions within the exhaust manifold, however this method is able to completely eliminate turbo-lag. Another method to limit the turbo-lag which can be used on normal every day cars is through the use of two turbos, one smaller than the other. As stated before, with a smaller turbo, less exhaust gas is required to move the rotating mass of the turbine, thus being able to spin it at lower rpms. After the engine is running in the higher rpms and is producing enough exhaust gas to power the larger turbo, the second turbo takes over and produces even more boost at these higher engine speeds (Nice). The use of two turbos can significantly reduce lag and is also more practical for non-race car engines. The bypass valve if more effective but despite that, it can cause internal damage which is why it is seen in "race cars, which have engine rebuilds between almost every race," (Oagana). These different techniques that decrease or eliminate turbo-lag help turbo-chargers become the superior form of forced induction by taking away the main cause of concern.

Turbos are much more common in standard, everyday cars as opposed to superchargers. The main reason behind this is due to the fact that turbos are versatile and can be applied too many different types of engines. Superchargers do not have this versatility which hurts the argument that superchargers are better. In order to meet fuel economy goals, car manufactures are relying on smaller displacement engines with turbos to power their vehicles. With these smaller four-cylinder engines, superchargers are not as helpful as turbochargers. As previously stated, superchargers are powered directly from the engine via a pulley. In a small 2.0 four cylinder engine for example, "the amount of power needed to drive the supercharger's pulley can be significant, as smaller engines have a hard time generating much torque at low RPMs," (Baker). This is why the majority of car manufactures use small turbos on their fuel efficient cars because turbos only require exhaust gases to spin the compressor. Superchargers are very common on bigger v8 engines due to the increased torque in low rpm situations. These engines can, "generate massive torque at idle, [so] the power siphoned off by the supercharger's pulley is a small percentage of the total," (Baker). The torque needed to power the pulley will not be overwhelming on these engines as opposed to the four-cylinders. Another type of engine that almost always uses turbos as opposed to superchargers is diesel engines. These diesel engines, whether it is a Dodge 2500 Ram or a construction tractor truck, are very well known for using turbos to help provide torque in the higher rpm range. Diesel engines are already designed to produce great amounts of torque in the lower rpm, so turbo lag is not as much of a factor. "Diesels are usually designed as long-stroke engines specifically to generate torque." (C.J Baker), therefore by giving the engine a longer stroke, the connecting rod can have more leverage as it turns the piston down on the power stroke stage of the engine. This added leverage is what gives more torque, which is a force that produces rotation (rotation of the piston). With this great amount of low-end torque, turbo lag is not as detrimental because the engine has enough power to overcome it. Having said that, the use of turbos on diesel engines does help provide more torque and power in the higher rpm range. Diesel engines typically only rev up to about 4,000 rpm and tend to not have the same amount of torque near the redline. Now that the engine is spooled up, the turbos kick in and sustain that high level of torque needed to haul massive payloads and tow trailers.

With the use of turbochargers, engines are capable of achieving insanely high horsepower numbers. Many still opt for the superchargers with the idea that they will not have turbo lag. Although this is true, anti-lag systems conquer that issue and make turbos produce more power than superchargers. Most turbos produce around six to eight pounds per square inch of boost which is more than half of what normal atmospheric pressure is at sea level, which is approximately 14.7 psi (Nice). In a perfect situation, this would mean that by adding a turbo, the engine would produce about fifty percent more horsepower than the stock, naturally-aspirated engine. Unfortunately despite how efficient turbos are, some potential energy is still wasted so that number drops to about thirty or forty percent. Superchargers require energy from the engine itself so in order to produce more power, power has to be sucked up by the supercharger. In some instances, "a supercharger can consume as much as 20 percent of an engine's total power output," (Harris). Once again, this is why smaller engines do not use superchargers in an attempt to gain horsepower. In order to gain horsepower, horsepower has to be lost which significantly reduces the efficiency of superchargers.

The debate over which method of forced induction will never end. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. American muscle cars with big v8 engines will most likely go with a supercharged setup while the six and four-cylinder tuner cars will opt for a turbocharger setup. Despite that, the facts clearly favor the turbo-chargers as they are the more efficient choice, more practical choice for everyday cars, and the more powerful choice. Turbos are proven to excel whether it is for racing, making cars more fuel efficient, or giving diesel trucks the added torque needed to haul a trailer. Superchargers are a nice way to gain power, but in the end, turbo-chargers reign superior.

Works Cited

Baker, Chris. "Do You Need a Supercharger or a Turbocharger?" Exhaust Videos RSS.
Baker, C.J. "Banks Power | Why Diesels Make So Much Torque." Banks Power | Why Diesels Make So Much Torque.
Fenske, Jason. "Anti-Lag System - Bypass Valve - Explained." YouTube.
Harris, William. "How Superchargers Work." HowStuffWorks.
Nice, Karim. "How Turbochargers Work." HowStuffWorks.
Oagana, Alex. "How Anti-Lag Systems Work." Autoevolution.
TurboSmart. "Technical Articles | How An Intercooler Works." Turbosmart International.
Eric, in reference to your second paragraph. Do not make any statement that already makes an indirect choice for the reader without first having presented enough information for the person to agree with you after his analysis of your research. The first sentence makes a statement of fact without any presentation of data so it should either be revised or totally removed from the paragraph. Now, I totally understand that deep research is required for this kind of paper. However, it seems that you have used too many in-text citations in the essay. It is important that you do not just cut and paste the information from other sources but rather, present your own understanding of the statement you wish to use and then refer to it as such. For example:

Baker (2010) suggests that it is better to use a manifold tank. While there is truth to his statement, Stanfield (3456) counters this belief because he is of the opinion that....

It is important that you use your own words in the essay when referring to quotes because that will limit the possibility of your paper being flagged for plagiarism due to the heavy volume of in-text citations that you have.

In paragraph one, you say that forced induction is more popular. However, if it is a complex process, then it will not be popular among car enthusiasts (not car culture). Change the term to "simplicity" instead of "complexity" because something "simple" will always be more popular than something "complex".

Home / Research Papers / How are turbo-chargers more effective than superchargers?