Abilities of mine allow interaction with people and have earned me a diverse and versatile network

Laila Raza 2 / 3  

networking skills for chevening

Q- Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

I have an unbiased and flexible attitude, good negotiating skills, reason based and empathetic approach towards people, I bear an understanding and acceptance for people and their circumstances. These abilities of mine allow interaction with people and have earned me a diverse and versatile network of people. People belonging from different communities, backgrounds and classes are a part of my widespread network. My activism has allowed me to work with minority communities, civil society, and students from various universities, news reporters, law-makers, parliament stakeholders and various pressure groups. As a core member of the National Students Federation's (NSF) Organizing Committee, I have organised various seminars where I have utilised my network for inviting people over as well as have broaden my network.

For a seminar on 'Current State of Education in Pakistan-One Day Folk School', I invited the panellists which included, Dr. Riaz Sheikh (Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences, SZABIST University), Dr. Jaffer Ahmed (Chairperson, Pakistan Study Centre, University of Karachi) and Dr. Bernadette Dean (Director, VM Institue for Education and former Principal, St. Joseph College for Women & Kinnaird College).

Similarly, while organising the 'Symbolic Human Shield and Celebration of Holi with Hindu Community', I utilised my network while talking to the authorities of Swaminarayan Mandir in Karachi. Another similar event organised by NSF to express solidarity with Christian community was organised by me. Apart from this, I invited the guests and news reporters for the coverage of the event. Consequently,at a seminar on 'Education Budget 2016', where Dr. Riaz Sheikh (Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences), Dr. Shahram Azhar (Asst. Professor, Habib University) and Dr. Fahd Hussain, (Asst. Professor, Habib University) appeared as guest speakers, were invited by me. In another seminar, on 'Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill (PECA 2016)' arranged by NSF at the Deptt of Sociology, University of Karachi, Frieha Aziz (Co-Founder & Director at BoloBhi, APNS Award Winning Journalist) was also invited as the guest speaker by me.

Correspondingly, during a campaign launched by me and my team against sexual harassment at educational institutions, I have come in close interaction with NGOs including Aurat Foundation and Womens Action Forum, feminist initiatives such as The Feminist Collective and Girls at Dhabas. Sadia Khatri, journalist and founder of Girls at Dhabas, Sheema Kirmani, Dancer and Founder of Tehrik-e- Niswan and Women Action Forum, Dr. Naveen. G Haider (Asst. Professor, Pakistan Study Centre, University of Karachi) and Dr. Azra Talat Saeed (Director, Roots for Equity)are in my close network.

Apart from these, Leading Journalists, Abbas Naqvi (Former Editor, DAWN Newspaper and Executive Editor, Asia Pacific, BBC World Service), Raza Rumi (Writer & Journalist, Visiting Faculty at Ithaca College and Author of books 'Delhi by Heart' and 'The Fractititous Path'), Salman

Rashid (Herald, DAWN Newspaper), Afak Afghun (Managing Editor and Writer at Sister-Hood Magazine), Kashif Siddiqui (Editor In-chief, Oxford University Press) and Jawaid Islam (Editor, Oxford University Press) are also a part of my circle.
maestrotimmo - / 1 1  
Your essay is great, there are details about your networks. But, I would love to know the correlation between your networks and your job/profession. Hope this helps. Thanks
Laila, aside from organizing seminars and events, were there no instances when you had to use your contacts within a real context? Meaning, can you explain how these contacts have helped you and your organization beyond just being speakers at your seminars? The fact that you got them to speak at your organization does not qualify these as networking events. Most of these speakers are actually paid a Speaker's Fee to attend and speak a these events. That is what disqualifies the majority of the content of your essay as being a true networking action. If you notice, none of these speakers actually had a direct contribution to your organization in a manner that would have the Chevening committee believe in their ability to assist you in developing your career and also, improving the Chevening network.

You should also not consider name dropping all of these people as part of your network. While it looks good on paper, seeing all those impressive names and saying they are part of your "inner circle", the truth of the matter is they are not part of the "inner circle". They can only be called that if all of these people have written recommendation letters for your application. You need only 2 of these people to write a recommendation letter for you. Did you accomplish that for any of them? If none of them did it, then you cannot claim them as named contacts in your paper. They will not be ready for the potential of a verification interview from Chevening and if they are not even going to remember your name, your application will be jeopardized as it will appear that you included fake information in your application.

Home / Scholarship / Abilities of mine allow interaction with people and have earned me a diverse and versatile network