Academic/career short-term, long-term goals,and Hispanic heritage influence on these goals

nicoleguzmanx3 1 / -  
I come from a Bolivian heritage family; my parents didn't have much during their childhood. My mother was raised in a low income family with 5 other sibling; and my father started working at 6 years of age to help his mother who later passed away when my father was 16 years old. A few years later they gave up their own home country and family to come to the United States so I could get a better education than one offered in Bolivia. They became foreigners in the USA and even with the culture and language barrier they never let anything stop them from moving forward. We started off living in a room, but now we live a house and I have two more siblings. Their example of ambition and endurance is what motivates me every day. There have been more than enough challenges for my family, being Hispanic and undocumented for a few years is really difficult. Yet I am so thankful for my parents influence and example that is what drives my desire to become a doctor and serve people all around the world. Hispanics have a stereotype of not taking on demanding and lengthy careers, such as a medical career, but I want to be a testimony that achieving these careers is possible no matter your culture or heritage. My long-term goal is to become a physician.

As of this moment I have had the wonderful privilege to finish my first semester of college, which makes one of my short-term goals completed. Amid my first semester I confirmed that my long-term goal of becoming a physician will be no walk in the park, yet I know I am capable of reaching my goal.

I have many different short-term goals in order to accomplish my long-term goal. One of my short-term goals is to be academically successful. During this semester I have experimented with many different studying methods, and I've been able to develop more effective study skills. In order to become and stay academically successful my goal is to keep practicing these skills. Since college is a new start I want to make sure my GPA and class rank are high. My academics will have such a huge influence on my future, especially on what medical school I attend. Medical schools will be looking at my academics and my MCAT scores.

Another short-term goal I have is to work a Certified Nurse Aide while working on my undergraduate degree because I have always enjoyed serving others. I have completed the training course and now I am waiting for a date to take my state exam. Working as a nurse aide will allow me to gain experience within the healthcare field. I know that as a doctor I will be higher on the hierarchy of medical careers, but as a nurse I will be able to experience a closer relationship with patients. I believe that such a relationship and witnessing the needs and agony of patients will help me develop into a more compassionate and understanding physician.

My last goal is to become a missionary physician. Once I reach my goal of becoming a physician I want to travel to countries in need and serve people with the medical skills I will gain. I don't want to only serve people in a hospital or a physician's office but I dream of going out and serving those who have no means of visiting a physician's office.

These goals have so much meaning to me, and I won't give up until I reach them.
michael_brand1 2 / 2  
Instead of using 5, 6, try using "five...six"

There have been more than enough challenges for my family, being Hispanic and undocumented for a few years is really difficult

I think you should take out "is really difficult" or have a period after family
When you state you want to be a physician, it seems a bit abrupt to me. It was just stated and thrown in there.
It kind of seems as though you're stating your last and final goal in life is to become a missionary physician, I hope there's more!

Last bit of advice, try inserting a conclusion, wrapping up everything

Home / Scholarship / Academic/career short-term, long-term goals,and Hispanic heritage influence on these goals