How I answered the leadership query from Chevening

lamyaa zaki 1 / -  

influencing since childhood

I learnt to face defficulties with patience ,persisitance ,strenght and flexability.
My grandmother had a leader charachter she didn't complete her education but she insisted to educate her daudhter who is my mother until she became a dentist .So first lesson i learned in my early years is the importance of getting a very good education .Growing up listening to egyptian broadcast i saw how media affected peoples opinion through various programmes.

Coming from a family who nhighly respects medicine career and science related areas i studied mass communication to influence people . Talking and influencing people have grew with me since childhood when i was the head of my class even in high school i used to debate with my colleges about different subjects which helped shaping our characters.

Workng as a free lancer comic writer for kids made me so happy and inpired me to change thoughts about overweight people being the obese girl i learnt how to own respect for who i am instead of for how i look only .So i wrote a story that was illustrated and published called

overweighed with self confedence about a curved girl who made her own clothing line instead of waiting for fashion house and people to decide how she be classified.

When my mother got her early retirement she faced alot of routine governmental issues where she had to go the same offic sevral times to get a signature from the authorized employee .I wrote a story called come back tomorrow this term the employee used to postpone the work or the signature needed by the customer to the next day and so on.The story was about a client chasing the authorized employee through the building to get his paper signed untl he (the employee ) found his paper in the trash after handling it to the person in charge.I critized the governmental routine in official paper and both stories was well recieved by both audience and editor in chef.

In my blog sushimasry.weebly. i worked on changing our opinion as ARAB on asian food and introducing asian recipes to our palate.As i managed to keep my weigh under control by educating myself about new cuisines ,cooking methods,recipesand nutrition i wanted to deliver this knoledge to others .Some halal substitutes to asian recipes togther with arab and medterian cuisne mix can make a very healthy balanced unexpensive diet.Which goes with Food and Agriculture organization FAO goals in fightening hunger in developing countries .I wrote posts social and comic posts in different fields the larger part was about spreading nutrition awarness related to asian food and food in general which were liked by followers.

Studing in the Culinary Training Centers Egypt . In such agressive environment led by male chefs i managed to get respect for my talent .I was well recognised for my cooking skills through assertement and working hard .

Writing my first book i engourge readers to express themselves,to learn,grow and experment.
Lamyaa, I am not sure what to tell you about the essay that you wrote. Please do not be offended when I tell you that this essay is not Chevening material at all and if you submit this essay, you will not even be considered for the first round of candidate discussion. There is no true leadership and influencing experience in this essay. It is only a personal statement that might work for a college application at best. It does not contain any professional leadership skills in the manner that indicates that you are a person being accorded due respect as a member of a company, a government agency, or as a team leader. All of the information you indicate shows that as a freelancer, you have not had the opportunity to truly experience a leadership role. I am sad to say that this essay cannot be used for your application due to your lack of professional leadership and influencing skills. When compared to the company leaders and professional trailblazers whose essays I have reviewed both in the past and immediate present at this forum, I know when an essay is not up to the challenge. This is one of those essays. Unless you can qualify yourself as a true leader in your profession, which it seems will be difficult to do due to the nature of your job, then you can submit your application for the scholarship but you should not get your hopes up that you will be given the same consideration as the better equipped candidates for the scholarship program.

Home / Scholarship / How I answered the leadership query from Chevening