Answers to the Mandela Washington fellowship for young leaders

Mammusi83 1 / 1  
Hello

I am applying for the Mandela Washington fellowship for young leaders and i would appreciate your input.

Question1:Please give a brief description of your professional background and work. (50 words)

Answer:I am a state media,broadcast reporter in the Kgalagadi district in Botswana. I provide a wider news coverage and processing of story/events and follow-up on leads, conduct television news interviews, script-writing and assisting on production of television news content. This includes researching on wider topic/events of interest,sourcing interviews of professionals.

Question 2:Nelson Mandela said, "It always seems impossible until it is done." Describe a specific instance of when you did something that seemed impossible. How did you gain support from others who did not share or understand your vision? (100 words)

Answer:Last year i was asked to produce a program on political intolerance,i had only a month to air the programme. Firstly the politicians i called didn't want to participate in the program,they believed the program would discredit them before the elections. I explained that through the program i would depict Botswana"s political journey independence,how the political landscape has changed since then. and this accorded them the opportunity to address issues of concern. To talk about political dis-stabilization or lack of and to have a say on the political clashes that occurred. I got my interviews and met the deadline

Question 3:Describe the role you play in your community. Outside of your professional work, what do you do to improve your community? (100 words)

Answer:I have been working with Kgomotso Center,a place where Orphans learn different life skills, for a couple of months now. The Kgalagadi area is marred with poverty and lack of education and unemployment and most people here rely on government for sustainability,my job offers me the opportunity to have access to information that i can share and teach young people to dream of a better tomorrow for themselves. i volunteer to teach the orphans at this center about the opportunities they can find in media. I also donate clothes to these underprivileged children.

Question 4:Where do you see yourself professionally in 10 years? How will the Mandela Washington Fellowship help you meet your goals? (100 words)

Answer:I'm a journalist with already years of hands-on experience in different areas of reporting. My experience in reporting on different issues ranging from poverty,women empowerment,politics has prepared me to one day have a bigger platform like a talk-show that will enable me to better tackle issues affecting our society. I believe a talk show will accord my community the opportunity to advance and discuss issues and they can be addressed. This fellowship offers one the opportunity to meet with people who can offer you valued advice,which i will need to start on the talk show.
Mammusi, your responses are quite good and to the point. I just spotted some mistakes in the grammar structure that can be corrected. Let me correct the responses by number for you. The limited word count really helped you to create well targeted and responsive answers to the questions posed. You did very good work.

1. :I am a state media,broadcast reporter in the Kgalagadi district in Botswana. I provide a wider news coverage and processing of story/events and follow-up on leads, conduct television news interviews, script-writing and assisting on production of television news content. I WORK ON TELEVISION NEWS CONTENT THAT INCLUDES A WIDER COVERAGE OF THE NEWS ALONG WITH FOLLOW UPS ON LEADS, INTERVIEWS, SCRIPT-WRITING AND PRODUCTION ASSISTANCE REGARDING NEWS CONTENT. This includes researching on wider topic/events of interest,sourcing interviews of professionals.

COMMENT: THERE IS A SLIGHT REDUNDANCY IN THE RESPONSE THAT NEEDED TO BE DEALT WITH.

2. :Last year i was asked to produce a program on political intolerance,i had only a month to air the programme. Firstly t The politicians i called didn't want to participate in the program, SINCE they believed the program would discredit them before the elections. I explained that through the program i would depict Botswana"s political journey TOWARDS independence, AND how the political landscape has changed since then. and this THEY BELIEVED ME WHEN I ASSURED THEM THAT THE PROGRAM WOULD accorded them the opportunity to address issues of concern. I ALLOWED THEM T to talk about political dis-stabilization or lack of and to have a THEIR say on the political clashes that occurred. I got my interviews and met the deadline.

3. I have been working with Kgomotso Center,a place where O orphans learn different life skills, for a couple of months now. The Kgalagadi area is marred with poverty and , lack of education and , unemployment, and most people here rely on government for sustainability,my . MY job offers me the opportunity to have access to information that i I can share and teach young people to dream of a better tomorrow for themselves. i I volunteer to teach the orphans at this center about the opportunities they can find in media. I also donate clothes to these underprivileged children.

4. I'm a journalist with already WILL BE A JOURNALIST WITH years of hands-on experience in different areas of reporting. My experience in reporting on different issues ranging from poverty,women empowerment,politics has WILL HAVE prepared me to one day have a bigger platform like a talk-show that will enable me to better tackle issues affecting our society. I believe a talk show will accord my community the opportunity to advance and discuss issues and they can be addressed. This fellowship offers one the opportunity to meet with people who can offer you valued advice,which i will need to start on the talk show.
Mammusi, I'd like to share my thoughts on your application.

Answer: I am a state media,broadcasterreporter in the Kgalagadi district in Botswana.
- This includes researching on widerbroader topics /events
- of interest,sourcing interviews ofstories from professionals and casual people alike .

Answer:Last year i( "I" regardless of it's position in the sentence, is always written a capital manner ) was asked to produce a

- Firstlyof all the politicians...
- depict Botswana"s political journey to independence,
- how the political landscape has changed since then., ( mind your punctuation marks) and this
- accordedsuit them accordingly and providedthem the opportunity to address issues of concern.
- To talk about political disde -stabilization or
- lack of....( some information is missing here) and to
- have a sayjustification on the political clashes that occurred.
- I got mythe interviews and met the deadline

Mammusi, this are just the initial remarks I made for the first two questions, I'll get back to you for the rest of the essay.
OP Mammusi83 1 / 1  
Thank you very much that means a lot.I will post corrected answers again.@Justivy03 i will be looking forward to your input.
Final remarks for your essay.

Answer:
I have been working for several months now with Kgomotso Center,a place where Orphans learn different life skills to conquer life., for a couple of months now.

- The Kgalagadi area is marred with poverty and lack of education, andthus unemployment
- opportunities they can find in media sector .
- I also donate clothes to'm also involve in donation drives for these underprivileged children.

Answer:
I'm a journalist with already years of hands-on experience
- in different areas of reportingbroadcasting .
- My experience in reporting on different issues ranging from poverty,
- women empowerment,politics has prepared me to one day have a bigger platform one day,
- I believe that a talk show will accord
- my community the opportunity to advance and discuss issues and they canthat cannot be addressed in different venue . - This fellowship offers onean individual the opportunity to

- meet with people who can offer you valued advice,which i will need tothat will be relevant to start on the talk show.

Mammusi, this are the final remarks for your essay, I'm glad that I can help.

Home / Scholarship / Answers to the Mandela Washington fellowship for young leaders