Applying for my first scholarship to Chevening

fatma2004 1 / 5  
Hi my name is Fatma. This is the first scholarship I've ever applied for. so I would really appreciate any help.
[b]Q1: LEADERSHIP & INFLUENCE QUESTION

Ans:
My country which has suffered for many years of internal conflicts, revolutions and a huge financial crisis. Such situations led to huge problems in organization and business. This gave me a huge motive to promote changes in our business system. I have the compassionate to study, this compassion pushed me to finish my master degree in computer science and then to finish my PhD. later on in the same field. I'm looking forward to be as a good leader in the future; the reason for applying to this scholarship is that I really love to expand my knowledge, I'm always hungry to learn more and I'm so keen in helping my country to overcome the current situation.

[b]Q2: NETWORKING QUESTION

Ans:
-I'm a graduate from Sadat Academy for management science computer section and networking was one of subjects that we studied
-In 1995 I applied for a master degree in computer science in Cairo university and networking was one of the subjects that we had to study to be qualified for this degree.

-To be qualified for my PhD. I had to pass a test in networking.
- In 2001 I had a full scholarship from IEEE in CIW
- Working in the tax Authority in Egypt, involved working with a WAN that covers the whole country.
- As a professor, I was responsible to teach networks for the undergraduate students.

CAREER PLAN QUESTION

Ans:
First of all I will show my deep gratitude to the UK government for giving me such an opportunity. second I will do my best to investigate what I've learnt from the scholarship in the civilization and development of my work environment.

CAREER PLAN QUESTION

Ans:
I chose three different courses that I'm sure will help me in my plans for my future career. First, Health, Exercise and Well-being. Believing that encouraging coworkers fitness exercising and well-being can actually be extremely beneficial for employers, was my main motive for choosing this course. The endorphin released during exercise mean that employees have more self-confidence and energy, they have more positive attitudes when at work, and they are less stressed too. Fit employees are also much less likely to get sick, and I would love to learn more about this topic. Second, advanced computer science course, this course opens the door to exciting new career opportunities in computer science and information technology. Third, software engineering. This course is a systematic application of scientific and technological knowledge, it gives the experience to design, implement, test, and document software applications.
Adreanna - / 22 11  
Hi Fatma,

May i ask if you are applying for MsC or PhD categorize? The information provided regarding the categorize chosen is a bit vague though. If you are applying under PhD categorize, it is important to show your academic writing as it is crucial for PhD candidate. Unless you did have unbeatable background, you would need to polish your essay more.

As you may know that Chevening scholarship is very competitive, and other candidates are also well-prepare for their resume, Lor, and Sop. So it is important to make your profile really stand-out to get chosen.

With short answers (around 50 words), i am afraid that it would not be able to describe yourself in person so that the scholarship commitee could not imagine how good or suitable you are. Examples:

1) For question 2, you listed your achievement/experience which is not different from what suppose to be in your resume, so why losing precious word limit to mention the same points that appeard somewhere else. Please remember that when looking at one application, the scholarship committee will look at all your provider document, not just the essay. You may want to take a look on how other candidate prepare for this scholarship to have an idea of your own.

2) Your answers are too general.

"Showing gratitude" toward UK government after receiving the scholarship is the thing that everyone else do, what make you difference from them?

After returning, you aim at contributing for your job/country, but everyone else do the same so what exactly you are going to do that is more realistic and contribute more to the development of your country in detail?

Wish you all the best with your application.
OP fatma2004 1 / 5  
2) Your answers are too general.

thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate that a lot.
OP fatma2004 1 / 5  
Thanks a lot for your care. I apply for an MsC. i did the updates i wish i can have your help
Q1 STUDYING IN THE UK QUESTION
Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates ...

Ans
I choose three different courses that support my future career. First, Health exercise and wellbeing. Since believing that encouraging coworkers fitness exercising and wellbeing will be beneficial for employers, I find that course one of my prominent objective. The endorphins released during exercise means that employees have more self-confidence and energy, more positive attitudes at work, and less stressed. Fit employees are not easy for being sick. Second, advanced computer science course, this course opens the door to exciting new career opportunities in computer science and information technology. Third, software engineering. This course is a systematic application of scientific and technological knowledge, it gives the experience to design, implement, test, and document software applications.

Q2
NETWORKING QUESTION
Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence ...
(minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Ans:
Networking is the energy that accelerates accomplishments. Not only is it essential for acquiring knowledge directly from those whom I meet, but the profit of connecting and growing my abilities will be just as powerful. I believe I have an excellent networking skills, which will sure engage with the Chevening community, influence and lead others in their chosen profession. I studied Keith Ferrazzi powerful Networking strategy Action Plan (NAP), which he explains in Never Eat Alone, to connect networking strategy with goals.

My goal was to reach a leading position in my company in the field of computer science and to be an inspiring professor for my students. And since I'm an immense believer in goals and focusing on empowering energy into accomplishing that goal, I took the following steps:

- I graduated from Sadat Academy for management science computer section. Here I was able to study both management science and computer science.
-In 1995 I applied for a master degree in computer science in Cairo University.
-I gained a PhD in computer science from Cairo University.
- In 2001 I had a full scholarship from IEEE in CIW.
- In 2016 I studied Kundalini yoga to help me better understand health and wellbeing life style.
- Working in the tax Authority in Egypt, involved working with a WAN that covers the whole country which expanded my networking skills.
- Teaching for years had helped me dealing with undergraduate students which again enhanced my networking skills.
The three people who will help accelerate my goal. First, my professors, whom I still have a good connection with, second are my bosses at work, and I have a strong connection with them all, third, are my employees and students, whom I have a very strong bond with too.

Being a student in chevening community, I believe Networking is a vital activity for my personal and career development. By enhancing my education in a great university as chevening I'm sure I would move forward, be a better leader, learn more and better understand other communities. I would appreciate building strong relationships through the chevening community too which will sure help me accelerate my goal.

I have the ambitious to move all the knowledge that I will learn from chevening community, all the experience all the skills to improve my country and to help others, either undergraduate students or employees or coworkers. I will also participate in any chevening events in my country and encourage others to share in them.
OP fatma2004 1 / 5  
Q3 NETWORKING QUESTION

Ans:
My country has suffered for many years from internal conflicts, revolutions and a huge financial crisis. Such situations led to huge problems in organizations and individuals. This gave me a huge motive to promote changes in our business system. I have the compassionate to study, this compassion pushed me to finish my master degree in computer science and then to finish my PhD. Later on in the same field. I'm looking forward to be as a good leader in the future; the reason for applying to this scholarship is that I really love to expand my knowledge, I'm always hungry knowledge to learn more and I'm so keen in helping my country to overcome the current situation. As a professor, I have access to many undergraduates and it's easy for me to influence them, give them inspiration, lead them, and give them a good example.
Adreanna - / 22 11  
Hi Fatma,
I'm very glad to help you with essay challange. It takes some times to edit and rewrite sentences, but it happens to everyone :-)

I would just comment on question 1 for now as im on the phone which is a bit inconvenience to go back and forth copying sentences.

When choosing the courses/degree, its like you are giving yourself some options. You may like to attend your first choice university but there might be a small chance that you couldnt get their offer letter, then you could move to your 2nd or 3rd choice uni. Thats the reason why people often choose 3 universities that offer similar courses/degree. What interesting is that you have chosen 3 totally different courses (health, computer science, software engineering). Among those, which is the career you want to pursue? Think about that matter before moving on with other parts :-). Also when being asked what course you decided to attend, you should provide the uni & course name (E.g University of Sunderland/ Bachelor of Business Management), as well as your understanding about the course (what it offers, what is the career path after completing it, etc)

I hope this helps
OP fatma2004 1 / 5  
I choose three different courses that support my future career.
First, advanced computer science course from Aberystwyth University, this course opens the door to exciting new career opportunities in computer science and information technology. It helps expanding my knowledge in computer science farther to a more advanced level.

Second, Computer Science from Bangor University. In this course I'm interested in learning both the principles and practices of computer systems. Computer science deals with the creativity of inventing software by combining theory with design and development.

Third, software development from Coventry University . This course is a systematic application of scientific and technological knowledge, it gives the experience to design, implement, test, and document software applications. This course addresses the specification, design, development and implementation of large-scale software systems in a variety of contexts; the emphasis on this course is on object-oriented modeling, design and programming, databases, network management including the internet; and developing distributed and client/server applications.
OP fatma2004 1 / 5  
Actually i was worried about how to answer that particular question. "why do u want to get an MSc when u already have a PhD.?"

the real answer is that i would love to learn more from a great university in a great country......I love to learn more and i'm always eager to know.....and having a strong education from such a great university will help me get stronger in my field and open more and better work opportunities. but i don't know if my reason is convincing enough so I was hopping they won't ask :/. i never stopped studying and i'm already writing papers and participating in scientific conferences.

i also have some side studies - but i'm doing them just for fun - "health - well being - yoga - cross-fit" - i'm now authorized as kundalini yoga instructor and i'm also doing my own studies in this field...... but i'm still a beginner of course.......and i'm still working on my cross-fit certificate.

so what do u think????
Adreanna - / 22 11  
Hi Fatma

They will question, so prepare for it :-). I dont think having fun and willing to learn are convincing reasons. You could try to think from the selection panel's view that if you have a bunch of money, who will you invest in: someone that have a vague direction with the purpose of gaining more knowledge on every fields, or someone with clear career path and could benefit not only their home but host country as well. What do you think?

Regarding the answer for q2, i think paragraph 4 is a good one (though you might want to check grammar & rewrite it to make it sounds more academical &logical ), why dont you also explain on how you remain the network with people/ professor on your field, as details as the way you explain in paragraph 4. You will have limited word count, so feel free to delete parts/sentences which are too general.
munmar 4 / 11 5  
Hi
Your first essay does not show how you have applied yourself as a leader. it details your academic qualifications but not how you have used them. You should expand to talk more about how u have used this.

Home / Scholarship / Applying for my first scholarship to Chevening