In what areas (non-academic or academic) have you acquired knowledge or skills? How?

gracefraustoo 1 / -  
Every experience I went though I have learned something, whether it was small or large, I gained something knowledgeable. In school, there aren't courses on leadership, goal-setting, risk-taking, team-work, etc. Every individual learned the basics when they were young but as you mature and become wiser you have to put forth yourself in activities that help you better understand how to use these skills in the right manner. I learned most of my skills through putting myself outside my comfort zone, which was really something new for me.

I joined various clubs starting in 8th grade, one of the most memorable experiences was when I was selected as a "Student Ambassador" for the upcoming 7th graders that year. I was able to help them get adjusted, when I barely knew how to do that myself. It was definitely something I'd never done before and I felt like a better person because not only did I help them around the school, but I was there for those who were having a difficult time adjusting to the change. By being an ambassador for those upcoming 7th graders, I felt like an important role model for them; this made me realize how much more mature I had become, how much more my social skills increased, and lastly, how much more self-esteem increased. I felt content with myself, even though they were just little tasks, I personally feel like the little things I did for them will reward them later on.

Continuing onto my high school years, I participated in other clubs that also impacted my life positively. Junior year was by far one of the most challenging years for me. The summer of my Junior year I was selected among those who applied to go abroad as a Central American Youth Ambassador through Georgetown University. This was the most life changing experience I had ever encountered in my life. I once again was given another opportunity be a role model in someone else's eyes. I took this as another chance to take the skills I had gained from being an ambassador in the 8th grade but to expand the skills on a higher level. I put my role skills on a higher level where we all helped each other become the ambassadors we wanted to be for those in Panama and Dominican Republic. I learned leadership and team-work while abroad. I learned how to communicate effectively while working together on tasks.; teamwork isn't as easy as it might sound but I learned my way around it to make it a positive atmosphere verses a negative one which made the trip much more memorable and valuable to me. Upon returning, I was able to recognize the better person I had become and the amount of knowledge I gained from the trip. I will always use this trip in all my essays that I need for scholarships, job applications, resumes, college applications, etc. because I truly became a brighter and more intelligent person by going on this trip.

Once my Junior year started, I became more active around the school by participating in more clubs. That was the year I was vice-president for the high school's Human Rights and International Club. That year, we were meant to leave to Seattle for Model United Nations but they unfortunately canceled it. I did everything I could in my power to find a replacement but funds were too low for us to go that year. Doing that was another thing that was added onto my plate that school year along with community service, working part-time after school, volunteering at the hospital, and mainting a decent GPA. This was stenuous for me because I don't think I have ever been so occupied and busy, and in addition to that, I had to learn to balance all of those out so that I wouldn't stress myself over the top. But I somehow did it and although I may not have accomplished what I wanted to my full potential, I will use those unfinished and mediocre work in the future so that I can use what I've learned about prioritizing in my future years. I made a few mistakes my Junior year, by not being able to fufill my full potential, but I will use those mistakes later on as an example of what I could have done better.

I achieve knowledge by living through experiences and seeing the worst but knowing that I can do better in the future. Not everything I do is perfect but I know that I have left a positive impact on others but also on myself with what I've gained in the end.
Asiak 2 / 2  
It's pretty good, just some edits to make it flow better!

Every experience I went thr ough I have learned something, and whether it was small or large, I gained something knowledgeable. In school, there are no courses on leadership, goal-setting, risk-taking, or team-work. We all learn the basics when we are young but as we mature and become wiser, we have to put forth ourselves forward in situationsthat teach us to better understand and use those skills in the right manner. (Avoid 'you' in essays) I myself learned most of my skills by putting myself outside my comfort zone, which was really something new for me.

I joined various clubs starting in 8th grade, and one of the most memorable experiences was when I was selected as a "Student Ambassador" for the upcoming 7th graders that year. I was able to help these students get adjusted, when I barely knew how to do that myself. It was definitely something I'd never done before and I felt like a better person because not only did I help them around the school, but I was there for those who were having a difficult time adjusting to the change. By being an ambassador for those upcoming 7th graders, I felt like an important role model for these 7th graders; it made me realize how much more mature I had become, how much more my social skills increased, and lastly, how much my self-esteem had increased. Even though they were just little tasks, I felt content with myself, and I hope that the little things I did for them will reward them later on.

Continuing onto my high school years, I participated in other clubs that have also impacted my life positively. Junior year was by far one of the most challenging years for me. The summer of my Junior year I was selected among those who applied to go abroad as a Central American Youth Ambassador through Georgetown University. This was the most life changing experience I had ever encountered in my life. I once again was given another opportunity be a role model in someone else's eyes. I took this as another chance to take the skills I had gained from being an ambassador in the 8th grade but to expand the skills on a higher level. I put my role skills on a higher level where we all helped each other become the ambassadors we wanted to be for those in Panama and Dominican Republic. I learned leadership and team-work while abroad. I learned how to communicate effectively while working together on tasks. T eamwork isn't as easy as it might sound but I learned how to make it a positive atmosphere verses a negative one; thus, the trip much more memorable and valuable to me. Upon returning, I was able to recognize the better person I had become and the amount of knowledge I gained from the trip. I will always use this trip in all my essays that I need for scholarships, job applications, resumes, college applications, etc. because I truly believe this trip helped me become a brighter and more intelligent person.

Once my Junior year started, I became more active around the school by participating in more clubs. That was the year I was vice-president for the high school's Human Rights and International Club. That year, we were meant to leave to Seattle for Model United Nations; unfortunately, the event was cancelled. I did everything I could in my power (might want to give an example of what you did? ) to find a replacement but funds were too low for us to go that year. Doing that was another thing that was added onto my plate that school year, along with community service, working part-time after school, volunteering at the hospital, and mainting a decent GPA. This was str enuous for me because I don't think I have ever been so occupied and busy, but I was taught to balance everything so that I wouldn't stress myself over the top. Somehow, I managed it all and although I may not have accomplished what I wanted to my full potential, I will use those unfinished and mediocre work in the future so that I can use what I've learned about prioritizing in my future years(This is an awkward sentence, I would just simplify it and say something about how you've learned to prioritize). I made a few mistakes my Junior year, by not being able to fufill my full potential, but I will use those mistakes later on as an example of what I could have done better.

I achieve knowledge by living through experiences and seeing the worst but knowing that I can do better in the future. Not everything I do is perfect, but in the end I know that I have left a positive impact on not only others but on myself as well.

Home / Scholarship / In what areas (non-academic or academic) have you acquired knowledge or skills? How?