Arts Administration Internship Essay

alic 1 / 1  
Hello - So I am looking for some help. I am applying to an internship. The essay is supposed to demonstrate why you would like to participate, past qualifications and why you are a good candidate, ect. Only around 500 words. Any critiques appreciate because this is something that I really want. Thanks so much!!!!

**As a high school student I was lucky enough to have an art gallery on my campus, the Addison Gallery of American Art. I was often either in the museum or sitting on its steps. Whenever I felt overwhelmed or needed a breather I would walk into the museum and feel at home. With my heavy backpack, I would wander the building and just get lost looking at the paintings. In college, the art building was my refuge. I loved my art history and studio classes; I was always in the building looking for friends. For my birthdays I have always made my family and friends got to go museums or galleries with me. There has clearly been a pattern throughout my life. I have always had enthusiasm for the arts.

I am at a point in my life where I know that I want to pursue a career in Arts Management. My future goal is to pursue a Masters Degree in Museum Studies. This internship will give me valuable experiential learning that will help me choose a Masters Program that is best for my professional goals and hopefully it will give me edge in getting into a good program. This intership interests me in particular because it is intensive and involves academics. I love that for twelve weeks I will immersed in an experience with fellow students as opposed to an internship where I would only devote 12 to 15 hours a week to it.

I am currently working and in school to obtain my undergraduate degree in Art History/Religious Studies. This makes my life very busy, but I am dedicated to my studies and working hard. Some of favorite courses that I have taken which demonstrate my interest and understanding in the arts are: Foundations in the Visual Arts, The Meeting Eastern/Western Art, Contemporary American Avant-Garde, Baroque Art & Architecture, History of Buddhist Art, Painting I and II, Basic Digital Photography, and Historical Materials (Historical Research Methods). I have also taken Religious Studies courses because I have found that religion and art are inexorably intertwined. Theses two courses have study have complemented each other and have made each one more interesting.

During my time at Lewis and Clark College I worked in the Visual Resources Collection Library as an assistant. I worked with the collection slides (35mm) and digital images. I also did copystand photography work and made archival slides. I helped students and professors use the collection and conducted researched for images that students needed. I loved working in this office because I got to look at all kinds of artwork everyday. I have also had valuable work experience in office environments where I have had to work with a team and have had to interact with clients in a professional manner. I have also spent considerable time in South America and in Europe. I am conversant in Spanish and love learning about other cultures.

I know that I can positively contribute to the experience of this internship. I believe that I will also gain invaluable experience. Overall speaking, I am someone who is an enthusiastic catalyst. I believe that art improves our lives; it involves peoples' participation on all levels. I would like to be a person who works towards brings art out into the world in a positive manner.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning!

Congratulations on taking this step in your life! An internship is a major event. I hope you succeed!

Your essay overall is very good; your flow is even and there is not a lot of excess filler material. With that said, let's take a look at what can be improved upon:

"...family and friends got to go (Change to read "to go to") museums or galleries with me..."

"...it will give me Insert "an") edge in getting into a good program..."

"...I will (Insert "be") immersed in..."

"...Some of (Insert "my") favorite courses that I have ..."

"...The Meeting Eastern/Western Art..." This seems awkward to me; perhaps check the title of the course. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that the title should be something like "The Meeting ofEastern and Western Art.

"...Theses two courses (Insert "of", delete one of the "have"s; the sentence seems like it should read, "These two courses of study have complemented each other...) study have complemented..."

I would turn this section, "Overall speaking, I am someone who is an enthusiastic catalyst. I believe that art improves our lives; it involves peoples' participation on all levels. I would like to be a person who works towards brings art out into the world in a positive manner." into its own new paragraph as it will work well as your conclusion.

Very nice work here! I was able to "see" you at your work, doing what you love to do. I hope that your judges can "see" this also, and you get the internship!

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP alic 1 / 1  
You have been a great help! Thanks so much, really appreciate it.

Home / Scholarship / Arts Administration Internship Essay