(Auburn University) Letter of Appeal for Cancelled Scholarship

CodyArant84 1 / -  
If y'all could critique this and help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated! I'm writing a letter of appeal to my university in order to try and keep my scholarship.

To whom it may concern,
My name is Cody Arant and I am an upcoming sophomore at Auburn University. Coming out of high school, I was awarded the Spirit of Auburn Founder's Scholarship which covered the cost of my tuition. I was recently informed however, that this scholarship would be cancelled. After my terrible performance in my first full year of college, I must say that I am not shocked by this decision.

I breezed through high school; it was never difficult for me. I realized that I could put in very little work and retain a 4.0 GPA. I figured that this would carry on into my freshman year of college, but I would soon find out how wrong I was. I took my work for granted and put the least amount of effort into it as I could. After having to drop my calculus class due to poor performance, I thought that I would try harder in all of my classes, which I did to a certain extent, but it was nowhere close to where it needed to be. I ended the semester with a "B" in all of my classes except Honors Chemistry I and the lab attached with it. I swore to myself that I would not allow the same thing to happen in my second semester.

After Christmas break, I began to work much harder in my classes. This hard work would pay off in the form of "A's" and "B's" in all of my classes except for my Chemistry II course. Regardless of my efforts in Chemistry, I could never seem to take that next step and begin learning the material. This resulted in a failing grade, bringing my GPA further and further down. If you look at my grades without the two Chemistry classes, you will see that I have well over the required 3.0 GPA.

It has always been my dream to attend Auburn University. Ever since I was old enough to say "War Eagle" I have dreamed of graduating from Auburn University. If my scholarship is not renewed, I fear that dream will never be. My parents are teachers in the state of Alabama, and do not make near enough to support me financially in this institution. They have also repeatedly expressed their distaste for me taking on student loans and going into debt.

I can assure the committee, that if given the chance, I will not be in this same situation next year. I can promise that next semester, my GPA will be a 4.0, or extremely close to it. I can guarantee that I will have enough hours to retain my scholarship. There will be nothing to stand in the way of me keeping this scholarship if I am allowed to have it.

I have been humbled greatly by this experience, and if given the opportunity to keep my scholarship, I can honestly say that I will not squander it.

Sincerely,
Cody Arant
Collegegirl22 1 / 2  
I like your letter, just one little thing:

I'd tell them that I started working during Christmas break because in the second I got my school report and took a glance at my grades I knew something had to be done.

Or something like this ;)
Sorry I can't help you better..
I sincerely hope they will give you your scholarship!

Home / Scholarship / (Auburn University) Letter of Appeal for Cancelled Scholarship