'becoming a professional petroleum engineer' essay for a Halliburton Scholarship

Dan90 2 / 2  
Using the space provided, give reasons why you believe you should be considered for the award of a Halliburton Undergraduate Scholarship. The scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and personal characteristics. In respect of personal characteristics, applicants should be able to show that they: have an awareness of and interest in the energy industry; are enthusiastic, highly motivated and determined to succeed academically and professionally; have a strong commitment to self-development and take a pro-active and committed approach to their education; possess good communication and interpersonal skills.

The dream of becoming a professional petroleum engineer

I was born in a small village called Makat that has the same called oilfield. Throughout my childhood that passed in Makat I was surrounded with the atmosphere of oil industry. On my way to school I observed the picture of how oil industry develops: at the far horizons of boundless steppe the bundle of jack pumps were pumping out the source of prosperity for my country that was transported by long pipes buried under sand ground to the far standing tanks, and endless long chains of wagons were bypassing transporting that source of prosperity to the marketplace. As I was getting older I understood that everybody in this village awaited the same destiny, the destiny to be involved in oil industry. My dream has been to become a professional who has a limitless passion for petroleum engineering.

What does it mean to be a professional petroleum engineer? An experienced driller from Halliburton Company would say that the inherent quality of a professional is to be able to get the most right decision when it comes to critical situation. Choosing the right technologies to fracture rock and drill bore holes is worth of several millions that the company may pay if oil and gas spill to the surrounding environment reflecting ecological catastrophes. Being a professional ensures that you don't leave the questioned technical aspects of drilling unanswered as you know how things work, and are able to give problem-solving method for the arisen issue. As for working with the people from different background and discipline, having a charisma ensures that the other people acknowledge your leadership skills and indigenous aptitude for team-working. In fast-developing oil and gas industry having knowledge and experience in geophysics, chemistry, petroleum geology, mathematics, and calculus means effective development and exploitations of different onshore and offshore oilfields.

I have made the first steps in becoming a professional petroleum engineer by having a summer internship at the Ministry of Oil and Gas of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Ministry of Oil and Gas is a final point where most important decisions regarding oil industry of Kazakhstan are carried out. I was allocated to the Department of Oil and Gas Industry Development. Being in a such important organisation I was curious to know how the management of overall oil and gas industry is proceeded, and actively participated at each state-level meeting. At one of the meetings with participation of Minister of Oil and Gas, I eye witnessed the process of petrol price fixing for the whole republic subjects. For it me it has finally become clear that the monopoly rule of private filling stations can harm and destabilise the social and economical development of the country by fixing high price rates for petrol. Apart from petrol price fixing debates, there was another problem. Almost 70% of all filing stations throughout the republic were running out petrol. As I was a main expert's assistant in the oil products processing and treatment bureau, I had an access to other documents. Doing my own investigation, I came to decision that shortage of the petrol was due to unplanned stops in the main oil processing plant. That lead to economical losses and social instabilities. I have firsthand realised that for a country with large deposits of oil and gas like Kazakhstan having one main oil processing plant wasn't enough. In order to get ready for works in oilfield I have attended the briefings about reservoir development and exploitations. Getting knowledge about different types of work regime for oil and gas pools, pressure condition for oil and gas flow upwards, the use of seismology in locating of potential oil beds, and geological structure of oil beds undoubtedly expanded my horizons in the downstream of oil and gas industry.

My alma mater is the foundation for future career. I have undertaken an academic responsibility as a Class Rep for 3rd Year Petroleum Engineering students. This year we are having important core subjects like Fluid Mechanics, Advanced Transport Processes, and Thermodynamics that are foundations for subjects studied in the 2nd half and 4th year. Being a Class Rep not only do I care for my academic progress, but also set a priority to talk and listen to other my fellows. They feedback regarding education is addressed to a staff so that I help to establish the connection between the students and teachers.

Apart from academic responsibility, I handle environment awareness. I appreciate what the University of Aberdeen has been doing for me for 3 years. As a sign of respect to the University of Aberdeen I care for the environment and help to develop Wildlife garden. My volunteering especially sets an aim of increasing the local university biodiversity, creating suitable for animals habitats, and improving the local ecology. This volunteering helps me to further improve my team-working, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills that undoubtedly will be necessary in professional career. Spending my time with nature has a beneficial effect of my well-being; I feel like being charged with new energy that is then directed to my education and private life. Since the childhood I have been fond of the nature and environment, and now for me as a future petroleum engineer it's a two-fold duty to treat the environment carefully.

The special role that has played in my decision to become a petroleum engineer is my family. My grandfather was a petroleum geologist. He was a one of the few experienced geologists who gave a start to the exploration and development of many oilfields in western Makat during the growth of oil industry in KazakhSSR. My father followed the same path as well as my uncle. My father, who has more than 20 years of experience as a petroleum geologist in oilfield, acts as a mentor for me giving full-fledged answers to my curious questions about oil industry. The achievements and impact that my family left on the oil industry of Kazakhstan conveys me a feeling of proud for my family, and stimulus to further contribute to prosperity of my motherland.

I set a goal to have a bright future as a petroleum engineer, and cling to every opportunity the life brings to me like a Halliburton scholarship. For me Halliburton Scholarship is not just a cheque with 4 digits, but a bridge to a successful career that I will construct on. Setting as a driving force Steve Jobbs' famous phrase: "Stay foolish, Stay hungry" I am devoted to build that bridge through hard-working and curiosity.

I set myself a goal to have a bright future as a petroleum engineer, and cling to every opportunity the life brings to me like a Halliburton scholarship. For me Halliburton Scholarship is not just a cheque with 4 digits, but a bridge to a successful career that I will construct on account of hard-working and curiosity. Setting as a driving force Steve Jobbs' famous phrase: "Stay foolish, Stay hungry" I am devoted to build that bridge.
yihrenliu 1 / 14  
Wow, you have a great essay! good intro, good ending, and it also brags about yourself in a good way! Is there a word limit for this?

Home / Scholarship / 'becoming a professional petroleum engineer' essay for a Halliburton Scholarship