The best things in life aren't things; SCHOLARSHIP ESSAY

gabi_gallegos 2 / 2  
Describe your participation in extracurricular activities.
What have you learned from your experience(s)?
(Examples may include: community service, volunteer work, employment, school clubs, sports, family, church, etc.)

The best things in life aren't things. This is a quote that can make us think about what are those things that aren't things in our lives. For me, the best things in life are the smiles for the people; those smiles that can make you change your day. I have seen so many people that are unhappy with their life even if they have so many material things and health. The feeling of contentedness that comes from buying something fades rather quickly after the purchase is made, leaving us feeling just as empty as before.

I have done so many extracurricular activities in my life. I joined the basketball team in my school, enrolled in many school clubs like the student newspaper, the environmental team. I have learnt so many things from every activity but the more impactant lessons have been from my church group. I belonged to a teenager church group where we volunteer in many places. Some of the places that we have gone are: home of elderly, orphanages, go to the streets to bring food to homeless people etc. In my church I used to be very active with all the activities that they planned.

Every Saturday we used to visit an orphanage called "Divina providencia" in El Salvador. In this orphanage live approximately 300 children between three to sixteen years. It is an institution that cares protects and ensures the most vulnerable children such as orphans, abused children, homeless, etc... Every Saturday we used to play with the children and teach them about the miracles and the love of God.

Some of them don't have a family, material things, health, etc... but they are happy with a hug. I have leant from every of this children that love is the most important thing in life. See their smiles in their faces after we hug them were priceless for me. Sometimes the adults are shier to new people than the children in that orphanage. The children act like they know you for a lifetime, they kiss you and hug you, they play with you, tell you about their lives. That's another thing that I have leant from them, you have to spread love to all the people even if you don't know them. You can make a big difference with just a smile.

Every Saturday was a blessing to me; it was like becoming a child again. What strike me as really wonderful in children are their innocence and their ability to trust everyone around implicitly. They play, dance, make silly faces and they don't worry about what the people will say or think about them. They are honest about what they want and what they like or dislike. They do not hide things. They speak what they think. I have learnt that if you take these attitudes as examples for your life you can be happier and appreciate what you have.

I truly believe that there is always a child in each one of us. So let us learn to share our genuineness and smiles with everyone. Let's open our heart to know that the best things in life aren't things.
Edna 7 / 19 7  
Hi :)
I think your introduction is too long and not necessary (and also not a direct beginning) because this topic requires you to describe an extracurricular activity that you had joined in. So you'd better remove the first para or consider it as a third para or maybe the last one :)

I also want to recommend some ideas about that para ^^

" The best things in life are not things. This is a quote that can makemakes us think about what are the things that are not things in our lives. For me, the best thing in life is when people smile . Those Smiles that can make us change our day. I have seen so many people that were unhappy with their lives even though they were living in a materialistic society .

The feeling of contentedness that comes from buying something fades rather quickly after the purchase is made, leaving us feeling just as empty as before. (I think this is an unclear sentence... :( rewrite this :)

Thank you :)
OP gabi_gallegos 2 / 2  
THANKS EDNA... what do you think now...

Every Saturday we used to visit an orphanage called "Divina providencia" in El Salvador. In this orphanage live approximately 300 children between three to sixteen years. It is an institution that cares, protects and ensures the most vulnerable children such as orphans, abused children, homeless, etc... Every Saturday we used to play with the children and teach them about the miracles and the love of God.

Some of them don't have a family, material things, health, etc... but they are happy with a hug. I have leant from every of this children that love is the most important thing in life. See their smiles in their faces after we hug them were priceless for me. The best things in life are not things. This quote makes us think about what are the things that are not things in our lives. These children have shown me that you can be truly happy if you love and receive love. I have seen so many people that were unhappy with their lives even though they have everything to live comfortable, that's because they lack of love.

Sometimes the adults are shier to new people than the children in that orphanage. The children act like they know you for a lifetime, they kiss you and hug you, they play with you, tell you about their lives. That's another thing that I have leant from them, you have to spread affection to all the people even if you don't know them. You can make a big difference with just a smile.

Every Saturday was a blessing to me; it was like becoming a child again. What strike me as really wonderful in children are their innocence and their ability to trust everyone around. They play, dance, make silly faces and they don't worry about what the people will say or think about them. They are honest about what they want and what they like or dislike, they don't hide things, and they speak what they think. Honesty is important because that is the only way for you to gain trust from others, you have to be yourself with everyone, that way you will get true relationships.

I truly believe that there is always a child inside each one of us. So let us learn to share our genuineness and smiles with everyone. Let's open our heart to know that the best things in life aren't things.
negah - / 2  
Dear Professor Dr

I am writing to express my interest in applying for the PhD position at University of xxx and pursuing the degree under your supervision. I have graduated with a M.Sc. in Cell and Molecular Biology from xxxx. My master's thesis was about molecular genetics. After finishing my education, I started to work in xxxxThe Field of activity in this centre is ....

I have been a research assistant in several projects like ...
Furthermore, we generated ....
Our findings will be published in the future.
Briefly, as a team work, we evaluate ...
I have studied a number of your papers like ....and am truly excited about your research. I have had studies about ...and I am really eager for learning more about it. I am sure that working under your direction would be an exceptional opportunity for me. I am confident of my background, and am sure that I can do an outstanding work under your supervision. I would greatly appreciate if you could kindly point me in a direction as to how I can find out more about your research, as well as the possibility of joining your research group.

I am looking forward to hearing from you. Please find in the attachment my C.V.
Sincerely Yours,
negah - / 2  
Everyone, thank you for you consideration.
could you check my entire post for mistakes?

Thanks again.
Edna 7 / 19 7  
" I have joined in many extracurricular activities at my school such as the basketball team, some clubs like the student newspaper, and also the environmental group. I have learnt many things from those activities but the most important lesson that I have gained was the lesson from my group at the church. I belonged to a teenage church group. We did some voluntary work in many places, for example, we went to some elders' home as well as the orphanage, ( I think you should indicate what you did to help them) and also provided food for the homeless. I was very active in those activities. "

" I do believe that there is always a child inside each one of us. So let us learn to share our genuineness and smileat everyone. Open your heart then you will realize the best things in our lives are not just things ( you know I really cannot get your idea in this sentence :( could you please explain it to me more? Thank you :) ) "

Home / Scholarship / The best things in life aren't things; SCHOLARSHIP ESSAY