The Biosciences Master - Reviews for Scholarship Essay

only1shubham 1 / 2  
Describe in detail your proposed course or specific project and its relevance to your career goals. Give reasons for pursuing it abroad. (Typed statement must not exceed 400 words). I am filling it for Scholarship, since deadline is quite close it would be really helpful if someone can review this. Thanks to all in advance.

Study and Research in Biosciences

Masters by Research in Biosciences by University College London is a full-time 1-year extremely laboratory oriented course. This course at UCL consists of 180 credits of which two-thirds is weighed by the research project and taught modules enabling me to gain hands-on experience in pure research. Currently, Masters by research are rarely provided in universities outside the United Kingdom and are not available in India. These Masters involve squeezing in 2-year curriculum into an intensive 12 months' where I will learn the bulk of the content through doing my own research.

While discussing the offer with Programme Tutor Dr. Andrew Batchelor over skype, I was most attracted to the multi-disciplinary nature of research and flexibility of choosing modules offered by MRes Biosciences at UCL. Its internationally recognised laboratories include a range of subjects like Computational Biology, Cell Biology and Structural Biology which serves my need of becoming an interdisciplinary researcher. This will help me to increase my knowledge about research and study in various fields allowing me to have an expanded spectrum of my inquisitive nature. It will help me to work independently as there won't be any of the hand-holding as in a Taught degree.

The fact that UCL focus on critical analysis of research papers, huge focus on writing a project grant application and literature review and statistical analysis will also be imperative throughout my career. It will also help me to determine my suitability in the field as I will be working in an environment with professionals of cutting-edge research. Apart from providing better research environment, reputation and ranking of University College London and its MRes course will also prove to be a better precursor for joining a PhD, as many universities and funding bodies for PhDs prefer candidates with a Research masters over taught masters.

My chosen master programme at this stage forms the first step towards the realisation of my career goals. The Biosciences Master programme will enable understanding at a higher level of advanced biological issues in the medical context that must be taken into account when doing research in an interdisciplinary setting. I'll also have the ability to test my imaginary theoretical ideas into real-life contexts, including international exposure and opportunities for professional development. Furthermore, I strongly believe that University College London will provide with an excellent network of people from different cultures and backgrounds and offer me lifetime opportunities to broaden my horizon.
Shubham, you have given a very specific explanation as to the course of study that you wish to undertake at UCL. It is obvious that you have given great thought as to the masters course you wish to take in relation to your future career growth. You truly understand the demands of the course and you are more than willing to dedicate yourself to its completion. There is a sense of in-depth analysis because you even mentioned the name of the program tutor in the essay. I think that you should just say program tutor as the title of the person you spoke to though and not mention the name of the professor who advised you. That is because when you mention specific names in the essay, those people are expected to deliver a recommendation letter for your admission as well. Since this professor does not know you personally or academically, it would be best to just make a general reference to that discussion. This is a very strong essay and should be able to help your scholarship application.
OP only1shubham 1 / 2  
Thanks very much for reviewing.

Home / Scholarship / The Biosciences Master - Reviews for Scholarship Essay