I built relationships with people from many different cultures - scholarship essay

elhalfawy_2010 1 / -  
Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home

I can be a better leader

From early years, I sought to be on a part with people were older stronger and more skilled. This Cleary appeared during my study in university which be 500 km far away from my home. So I built relationships with people from many different cultures, which is a key in building diverse communities that are powerful enough to achieve my significant goals. also being away from my home made me stronger, more independent and it helped me deal with and overcoming the adversity without needing external support and this help me to success in work and live.

My first step in leadership started in 2013 as I was assigned to establish a new discipline for offshore operation. It was difficult to me to establish the roles, responsibilities, tasks and job description. I talked to some experience collages who knew more about the offshore tasks, collected data, prepared procedure, selected the team and bring them into the vision of the outcome I need. I made a conversation with all the team to encourage them, listen to their ideas and plan for this new department and for these new tasks, it sounds simple, but they were powerful moments, finally we all had the same vision and we accomplished one of the most significant changes in our company so I learned the concept of catalyst leadership early in my career and This is one of the most successful task in my life and I proud by it.

In 2016 I had the chance to be involved in one of the biggest projects in my company, these projects was deck extension in the existing platform for controlling new subsea production wells, I was interface team leader responsible for about 35 workers conducting different activates in limited space wherever platform is live. me and my team done our best to overcome all difficulties (including Simops, safety regulation, bad weather, risks in place) through all phases of the project (design, construction, pre-commissioning, commissioning and finally starting up all wells safely without any incident and also before expected deadline by one week, this was the best challenge that we done in this project.

However, a leader is a person who always learns and keeps improving. I regard my experiences as a learning process and believe that in the future, I can be a better leader than I am now.
Thereds15 1 / 1  
Hi Elha

It's a good essay, but maybe you can add more story on how you influence your team besides hearing their voice. what type of action that you do to get their attention to you and support your vision.
Mohamed, for this essay, your first paragraph is really not required. The focus of the discussion had to be on the last 2 paragraphs where you present a semblance of leadership skills, but not influencing skills. Try to develop the discussions in thes portions by showing instances that required your leadership skills. Explain how hese skills led to your influencing the group. Don't discuss how you had to rely on other people to exp!ain to you how to do your job. That defeats your purpose as a leader. A leader knows how to consult with the team rather than other people to get the job done. That is what you have to show. Between showing that you know how to manage your team plus situation handling within the project, you should be able to show your real leadership and influencing skills in action.

Remember, you have to focus on the relevant story for the essay. The first part of this version is better used in a personal statement for a college application, not a Chevening scholarship application.

Home / Scholarship / I built relationships with people from many different cultures - scholarship essay