'calculus and statistics analysis' - Scholarship essay for Babson College

mingzhuliu 1 / 1  
PROMPT:As you are well aware, Weissman Scholars are provided with additional resources to achieve their greatest educational, philanthropic,
and/or global aspirations. Given the features of the Weissman Scholarship Experienceïintellectual inquiry, mentoring and networking,
extraordinary internships, entrepreneurial spirit, global citizenship, and leadership and teamworkïplease tell us about a passion of
yours and how you would develop it through the Weissman program.

When I was still a young kid, I became interested in mathematics and love to calculate every problem that I met. Later, this passion was turned partly to applied math as soon as I touched it.

One of the most memorable experiences was in Feb. 2008, when I led my school team consisting of three students and participated in The Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM), which is an undergraduate level contest. During the competition, there were two topics to choose from. Without hesitation, I chose the problem on the effect of sea level rise in Florida as it contributes to protecting the environment and have practical meaning. On the first day, I distributed the work for each one: one to collect numerous data, another two to think of practical approaches to solve the problem. By the end of first day, we got thousands of statistics on sea level rise, the sea surface temperature, the concentration of CO2, and financial losses caused by hurricanes in the past 110 years in Florida. I had two methods in my mind at that time: calculus and statistics analysis. But after a fervent discussion the next day, we found out that the use of calculus method might need some specific knowledge on hydrology. Reluctantly, we had to give up this most accurate approach. Just when I was having dinner, I suddenly recalled contingency tables which appeared in my statistics class. Thus, we use it to determine the relationship between the financial losses of hurricanes and the concentration of CO2. The statistics indicates that, as the concentration of CO2 rises, so do the frequency and strengths of hurricanes. I also used the method of linear regression to predict the future trend of sea level rise and sea surface temperature in Florida. In later days, I wrote most part of the English version of our paper, combined each part and revised them again before we submitted it. After three days of hard work, our paper, "The effect of global warming on sea level rise and hurricanes" finished. Discussion, model construction and our teamwork night after day in these short but precious days has left me with deepest impression among all my experiences.

After the competition, we three also did some research on the China. With a similar approach, we calculated that the sea level may rise as many as 12.5 to 50 centimeters in China, and most part of Shanghai and Hong Kong may be inundated in about 50 years if global warming will continue and accelerate much faster than is expected. Verified by the result from China's Policies and Actions for Addressing Climate Change in November 2008, our work will be published in A selection of student papers in Beijing.

On the other hand, however, the experience that gave me most feeling of achievement lies in July 2008. After 8 weeks' hard work, I have finished a team project on evacuation plan for typhoon in Fujian Province of China. Finally, we won the first prize in High School Competition for Applied mathematics. We also sent our paper to Natural Disaster Reduction Committee of Fujian Province. My love and my passion for mathematics won me great achievements in this field.

Besides mathematics, I also love to spend my spare time in reading. In recent years, I gradually paid more attention to books on investment, such as Stocks for the long run by a professor in Wharton School, Jeremy Siegel, Beating the Street by Peter Lynch, and Warren Buffett's Letters to Berkshire Shareholders by Warren Buffett. It was these interesting books that draw me into an obsessing world of investing.

My long term target is to start and run a financial advising company of my own. In my spare time, I study and cumulate knowledge on financial at present. I especially pay attention to some entrepreneur's unsuccessful cases, hoping to draw some lessons from them. In the future, I hope to intern at a big financial advising firm in vacations, observe commercial operating mode of corporation, get to know the way to attract customers and increase a corporation's brand popularity. Of course, I am dreaming that I can accumulate wealth and then contribute them to charity.

I recognize that there is a long way to realize my dream. The first step will be a Weissman Scholarship. An opportunity for independent research and study both in the USA and short courses abroad is surely an effective way to getting specific knowledge in finance field. Intern in London or other employer relationships with other Babson students helps me feel in person the way that a company runs the sense of competition and experiences to run a company, advertising and catching consumer's eyes. Guidance of a dedicated faculty adviser, expert career guidance from faculty, alumni, and professional career counselors, Management Consulting Field Experience can catalyze researches on new mathematical models to help invest in markets. Leadership development programs can strengthen my skills in leading a firm. Last but not least, seed money enables me to try running my own firm for the first time based on my experience and knowledge. I can also feel a real society and cruel competition, as well as improving from failures. It is a strong basis for future success.

I know that Babson and Weissman Scholarship can help me further, for all their features are exactly my need and my passion. I believe that I will thrive in the context of Weissman Scholarship.
fernaj13 4 / 9  
I would say you should elaborate your thesis statemen a little bit more. Maybe you can try something like, " I became interested in Mathematic at a very young age."
You started out by talking about your passion for math, and ended up on the topic of a career in finance. Not that these do not go hand in hand, but here, you need to either tie them together somehow or just choose one subject. If you keep just the first three paragraphs, sticking to applied mathematics, or keep just the half on finances, narrowing down your subject and elaborating, it will be more focused and compelling.

"I especially pay attention to some entrepreneur's unsuccessful cases, hoping to draw some lessons from them." This is great, you seem thoughtful and intelligent.

:)
You also might want to explain more clearly how a passion for fighting global warming connects to your desire to use a Weissman scholarship to enter into finance. You mention both things without really relating them.
OP mingzhuliu 1 / 1  
thank you. I am going to revise these parts!

Home / Scholarship / 'calculus and statistics analysis' - Scholarship essay for Babson College