Call Center - UGRAD. My participation in this experience triggered my will to grow more as a leader

nisrinajaafari 1 / 1  

instance where you had to be a leader in your community

Last summer, I worked in a call center, as a team manager, our mission was to call French citizens, and promote our product, after low results we went through some company-wide lay-offs. We were five left to absorb the duties of the ones left. As a result, we were overworked and stressed out, at the same time, more mistakes were being made because our attention was scattered, and a team leader, it was my job to get performance back on track. I asked for a meeting of the full team to discuss strategies, I showed appreciation for all of their hard work during that challenging time, and asked for their assistance in identifying ways for us all to be more efficient in a more comfortable way, I Insisted that this was a brainstorming meeting to come up with solutions, and no suggestion was silly, for us it was a safe environment for ideas, we wrote down our ideas on a white board, then had a vote on the ones with most potential, I then assigned each person to do more research on how we might implement one of the ideas, including myself .

First of all, the team really like the approach, they loved the idea of being empowered to help find a solution. And instead of complaining, they channeled their energy in a more productive way once they knew that they would be heard.

Right off the bat, we came up with two ideas that could be implemented quickly and save us a lot of time. One was to download a timer for each call, so as when we start the call, we get 2mins to convince the client, if not, we politely hang up and go for the next one. This freed up 4 hours each week. Another was to write down the impertinent clients, and call them at the end of the day so that we don't get discouraged in the middle of our mission. We also decided to organize brainstorming and idea evaluation into our staff meetings each month. I have left the company for that was only a summer job, and I am so pleased to say that my ex- colleagues are more efficient and morale is way up. My boss even asked me to stay, and offered me a three-year contract!

I have started to understand my values, and where I want to be in future. My participation in this experience has brought me to this point in my life where I would like to do, learn, and grow more as a leader. I've learned that the art of communication is the language of leadership, and that in this experience I got to be the artist, and the painting was just so splendid
Rociomaria 2 / 2  
I love the final paragraph!! But you must add your ability to create change in your community.
Do not forget the mission and vision of the program.
Nisrine, while this essay is a perfect example of an accomplished leadership experience, I do not feel like this is an essay that can be viewed as having a community contribution because an office setting and its required accomplishments is far different from the needs of a community and how you achieved them. The UGrad program is focused on developing community leaders who can effect positive changes in the lives of the people in their home country. That was not the purpose of your call center experience. Your focus was on selling a product for the company. The fact that you had clients whose treatment of your team had a tendency to dishearten your team members shows that you were not effective in changing the mindset of the "community" on a collective basis. I do not believe this is an essay that falls within the prompt requirements. I believe you have to write a new essay that shows your leadership skills within a community setting instead. Always follow the prompt requirements. While the team is a type of community, the goals of the team are not community related, but rather, profession based so it is not the same thing.
OP nisrinajaafari 1 / 1  
@Rociomaria
Thank you so much ! Too bad I have to change it, because it's not related to community contribution, I have other experiences, one related to me organizing a crowdfunding that faced a lot of problems and with my and my teammates perseverance and hard-work, we got through the end of the campaign, and it was pretty successful.

Do you think this is a great topic to discuss ?
the deadline is Tomorrow at 5 a.m

Home / Scholarship / Call Center - UGRAD. My participation in this experience triggered my will to grow more as a leader