I am capable of taking control of any situation and lead a group of people into success. Chevening

mesayme1 1 / -  

Chevening Leadership Essay

It seems as if I am capable of taking control of any situation and lead a group of people into success. Having the ability to inspire others, being innovative, rational in handling matters which helps to give insight into what works best, and to think in an intelligent way and make sensible decisions. These qualities have been part of my movement since my days in High School when I was appointed the Head boy of the school not because of my excellent academic performances, but my abilities to influence and lead by example. I was part of a community service, an organization known as Education Learning Centre (ELC) where I was given the role of a motivator and an advisor, influencing a large group of students. But the professional exercising of my leadership skills began when I started to work as a Human Resources Assistant at a hotel resort (Kololi Beach Club) and now a Trainee Scientific Officer (TSO) at the Medical Research Unit The Gambia at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. My ability to critical think, develop an interest in my focus and being self-motivated also made me a good fit through both experiences. During my experience as a Human Resources Assistant, I participated in dealing with the employees' wellbeing within the company. My role involved handling employees professional needs, motivating, planning and creating an environment that promotes development and success. I was also involved in creating movements and idea which impacted the betterment of all within the company. I participated in a fellowship program at Gambia Tourism Board, where I gained greater insight into social development by engaging my colleges on market economics, tourism, professionalism, and development in needy communities. Recently working as a TSO in ongoing research projects at the research unit, specialized skills and competence are in high demand in my daily activities. Working with a team of 14 under my supervision in the field makes it challenging to get things properly done. However, with my abilities to listen and communicative effectively with the teammates allows effective outcomes. I work with a team of 14 who are all under my supervision whenever we travel to the field to collect samples and distribute medications to people in remote settings. As the cases of certain diseases in my home country usually occur at the third quarter of the year, which requires my team and me to travel upcountry every two weeks under my leadership as the project assistant and collect samples, which will later be processed in the laboratory. The ability to create a climate and culture with people of the same and different social circle at events enhances the effectiveness of the purpose of my work was a task I needed to complete at all levels. Traveling to remote places is no fun, to be frank, but having a passion for the work, knowing the beneficial outcomes of doing the work makes it relieving and worth embarking.
maya90 2 / 3 2  
Hello Saihou, I am in the same process as you are at the moment, and I've read a number of essays on leadership and their corrections.

I am no expert, but I would tell you that right now, the structure of the essay is too compact. As there are no spaces or pauses, the essay is hard to read and it's not easy to keep track of the information you are trying to convey. And I think it's affecting your ability to see the essay as a whole. I would advise you to construct it from paragraphs and it will help you to better organize the information.

Regarding your leadership skills information, I think you would benefit from reading other essays and their feedback. They will greatly guide you through this process.

Right now I would say:
1. Don't mention your high school achievements, as they are too far back to be considered.
2. Choose one or two situations in a PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, where you have demonstrated great leadership and influencing skills. Don't just talk about the qualities you have, but explain them using clear situations.

3. I would further develop the last Leadership example of "I work with a team of 14 who are all under my supervision whenever we travel to the field to collect samples and distribute medications to people in remote settings..." I think there is potential to explore there, and from everything I read, it is the one that demonstrates the most impact to your country, if you know who to present it.

4. "As the cases of certain ..." As I said before, I think you should develop your whole essay focused on this situation. If you explain more deeply this challenge and others you experienced and how you managed to overcome them, your essay will become more clear.

5. This sounds super harsh, but I would tell you to rewrite it. Don't try to edit it. There is too much going on. I think writing in a simpler, less elaborate manner will help you a lot. To improve the writing or to check for grammar, Grammarly is really good if you don't mind your content being used by others for free.

I am sure @holt will give you valuable feedback, but if not, this website has a lot of examples to read from.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Kindly disregard the wrong advice given above as it was not given by a trained contributor and as such, is not a professional review of your application. The errors in the advice will lead to an even weaker essay presentation from you if you follow it. This is an essay that will not make it past the screening round. It is not relevant to the essay because all that is evident is that you are continuously working in a subordinate role, even when handling a team of 14 people. Your essay showcases your ability to follow orders and instruct others, but not really to lead them because you take your work instructions from the actual leader of the group or team. Therefore, this essay cannot be considered useful towards your application.

You may use a college reference of community leadership since you are obviously not in a professional capacity to showcase a leadership and influencing event in the proper expectation of the reviewer. Therefore, you will need to write a totally new essay that does not use references to subordinate roles of "interim" or liaison leadership but true leadership where you are in charge, you make the decisions, you handle the consequences of your decisions, and you motivate your own people, without someone else to answer to.

Home / Scholarship / I am capable of taking control of any situation and lead a group of people into success. Chevening