I carried out numerous leadership roles. Explaining my ability to influence others.

faraymajid 3 / 2  
HOW DO YOU RATE THE ESSAY? DO YOU THINK THE CONTENT IS RELEVANT TO THE QUESTION ASKED?
Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

LEADERSHIP ESSAY FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP

During my undergrad life, I carried out numerous leadership roles. Most significant of which was the Captaincy of Team HammerHead, which represented Pakistan in the Shell Eco Marathon Asia. I lead a team of 25 that worked to design, manufacture and get sponsorship for a Prototype Electric vehicle. The most difficult of all tasks was to get funding from corporate sector. I conducted meetings and presentations to sell our project and convince people about the importance of our work. After a lot of efforts, we managed to convince some companies and they agreed to fully sponsor us. This experience polished my people skills and taught me a lot about how to influence people. I also developed strong leadership qualities as I came across many critical situations through which I learnt how to manage people according to their strengths so as to achieve targets in time. We managed to clinch 6th Position in the competition in Singapore, which was by far the best performance ever by a Pakistani Team. I take pride in this accomplishment and my success as a leader.

Apart from this I was also the General Secretory of American Society for Mechanical Engineers, which organized an All Pakistan Olympiad in GIK Institute by the name of International Mechanical Engineering Convention 2017. The event had different modules and competitions which challenged engineering students to come up with innovative solutions to industrial problems. I had a team of nearly 40 members working under me in the organizing committee. We worked day and night to organize the event of nearly 170 participants from approvals from administrations to lodging and food. It required a lot of motivation and influence to get the members to give their cent percent and work tirelessly. And as a general secretory, it was my responsibility to ensure the activeness of all members, which I successfully did during the preparation of the event. The event proved to be a successful and glitch free.
nemezidus 5 / 13 7  
Faray, hello, wish you good luck with your application!

The examples you gave are more than relevant to the question. They are clear, well-presented and supported by facts.
I believe the only thing that is missing is a good introduction and a conclusion.

In the introduction you could give your vision of leadership and/or background. In the conclusion you could summarize your examples and reiterate the statement in the introduction to support your vision of leadership & influence. Or you could provide information y on how you plan to develop or use them in future.

There are also some grammar mistakes and misspellings. Please check the text and correct them.
Faray, your essay has some very strong academic qualifications for your leadership and influencing skills. You can actually open your essay with that first paragraph because it is impressive. You should however, make sure that you do not keep referring to the work of the team by saying "we" because the essay is about your leadership and influencing skills so say "I". You may also want to consider including an example of your influencing skill with regards to how you managed to encourage sponsors for your team and the building of your project.

Now, balance out the discussion by presenting one professional leadership and influencing essay in the second paragraph. Remember, the scholarship is looking for leaders and influencers who can lead the country in the future. That statement implies the need to prove that you are a trail blazer, a leader, and someone who commands respect and consideration in the professional decision making process in your line of work.

Presenting one academic and one professional leadership and influencing example in the essay allows you to show the reviewer how you developed the skills required by the prompt. It also proves that you are a person who is a born leader. That makes the essay more impressive to read than the current version that seems too focused on academic and extra curricular leadership and influencing abilities.

Home / Scholarship / I carried out numerous leadership roles. Explaining my ability to influence others.