Centers, infinity, absurdity--they're exciting

Yayz 10 / 121  
Last essay for that scholarship/admission thing:

Describe an experience that you have had or a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you. When answering this question, you may want to consider some of the following questions: Why does this topic excite you? How does it impact the way you or others experience the world? What questions do you continue to ponder about it? 500 words max

Concrete objects, abstract ideas, and even humans' passions have centers. However, excitement lies in exploring why a particular center is a center, how the existence of this center is maintained, what works against its existence, what might happen upon the loss of the center, and so forth. I love combine my knowledge of the concept of a center with my fascination with infinity and absurdity.

With enough creative thought, a center can be found anywhere. For instance, while some argue infinity cannot have a center-since each point could be the center, surrounded on all sides by infinity-it can, indeed, be asserted that the center of infinity is absurdity. Of course this is comparing two unlike things, but that is the beauty of creativity. Why have I seemingly arbitrarily decided that absurdity is the center of infinity? Well, for the same reason that there are a number of words in that sentence which end in "y." When the property of infinity is applied, hypothetically, to something, the result is usually absurd. Take for example: an infinitely large piece of gum, an infinitely quacking marmoset, and an infinitely long list of hypothetical applications of infinity-ideas such as this might have been the frights that inspired advocates of moderation (or word limits, for that matter).

Absurdity remains the center of infinity under the condition that thought remains logical and is threatened when thought becomes absurd. Since absurdity is the antithesis of logic, the thought process must be logical in order to allow for a distinction between the result of infinity application and the original condition. If, in thought, absurdity is the norm, it would probably not be defined as the center of infinity because its quality would not have an apparent effect. The converse of this is true: if absurdity is not the center of infinity, then absurdity is the norm. The farther absurdity moves from the center of infinity (the less absurdity becomes a quality of infinity), the more it nears the norm. For instance, as an individual's readiness to accept what is typically perceived as absurd in the same way he or she accepts that which is typically perceived as normal increases, logically, the less likely he or she would find an infinitely large piece of gum to be odd.

At some point in my life, I learned of the concept of a center. This simple, elegant idea encompasses volumes of complexities yearning to be understood; I hope to quench their thirst for light and, in the process, my own. This topic excites me because of the enormity of the challenge it proposes-answering questions without absolute solutions. Centers are infinite in quantity and influence people in an infinite number of ways. Even what a person perceives a center to be can have a great impact. One day, maybe, I shall discover my true center. For now, my quest beckons me to investigate the possibilities for this center-life, earth, people, water, psychology, philosophy, absurdity, infinity.

*that is an allusion to Indiana Jones I felt like throwing in. Who thinks that's a no-no?
Alternative would be: "Thus, "centers" are not truly the subject of focus; rather, the crux is exploring..."
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
it can, indeed, be asserted that the center of infinity is absurdity

Sometimes I really don't understand your thought process.
If I make an absurdly creative statement, it would be -- the centre of infinity is infinity.

Do you know there's a scientific term for absurdity?
It's called "singularity"

Thus, "centers" are not the treasures to be swapped with sacks of *dirt; rather, the value lies in exploring why this particular center is a center, how the existence of this center is maintained, what works against its existence, what might happen upon the loss of the center, and so forth.

I didn't understand what these sentences are doing in this essay. They introduce something different -- an idea on which another essay can be written.

Okay, the fourth paragraph -- it's a bit convoluted, but I got your meaning. (actually I had to read it twice :)
But what is point of the argument? Why have you written it? Is there something you are unsure of, that you want to find out in the future? Which part of the prompt does it address?

That's not clear right now.

Cool essay. I like the ending. This looks like something you think of on a regular basis.
Trim away the excess:
Concrete objects, abstract ideas, and even human passions have centers. --- interesting! Right after this sentence, it would be good to hit the reader with that thesis statement that is worth a whole essay all by itself. What is the subject that interests you. Ha ha... centricity, infinity, and absurdity.

...ideas such as this might have been the frights that inspired advocates of moderation (or word limits, for that matter). --- excellent!! You win...

You did great. Just make sure you balance the abstraction with some clear attendance to the prompt.
You can earn the right to give this dharma talk if you make sure that at the very end you USE SOME WORDS FROM THEIR PROMPT: "Why does this topic excite you? How does it impact...?"
OP Yayz 10 / 121  
Thanks everyone! =D

That's the point! You can definitely make that statement! However, the value lies not in your ability to spontaneously make a point, but in the thought that investigates it =D

I'm not sure if I am clear yet XD

That's not clear right now.

I thought I was answering the prompt...O_O I don't know...

dharma talk

Haha I didn't think of it that way, but it really fits...
This is super cool. Here is an idea:

At some point in my life, I learned of the concept of a center.

I kind of think that this discussion of the word "center" should come before the para that precedes it. The reader can't appreciate your argument until you tell how you are using the word center, so explain that as early as possible in the essay.

:-)
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Of course this is comparing two unlike things, but that is the beauty of creativity. Why have I seemingly arbitrarily decided that absurdity is the center of infinity?

The question comes abruptly.

This is definitely better.

However, the value lies not in your ability to spontaneously make a point, but in the thought that investigates it =DI'm not sure if I am clear yet XD

You're perfectly clear.
I made that statement thinking about theoretical physics. Anyway, I've understood what you meant.
OP Yayz 10 / 121  
Ok, I mostly just rearranged things here. Or should I actually write something new?

I made that statement thinking about theoretical physics

Humph, funny. Maybe that is because I was reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time when I was inspired to write about centripetal force for whatever reason (clearly my idea changed once I started writing).
I love to combine my knowledge of the concept of a center with my fascination with infinity and absurdity.

This is the kind of sentence that can be intriguing and mysterious if you do not spell it out for the reader:
I love to combine the concepts of center, infinity, and absurdity.
Of course there are other ways to write it, but it'll be better if it is not so complex.

center of infinity is absurdity.

This is sort of a distortion. It makes it sound like something that we can call "absurdity" is at the center of infinite space, and that is not accurate. The accurate thing to say is that "Trying to conceive of a center for infinite space is an absurd effort."

So... know what I mean? Hobbes said one of this uses for language is to delight in semantic games, so this is good in that sense, but it is misleading if you are trying to logically argue that absurdity is at the center of something.

:-)

absurdity is the norm.

Ha ha, yes. That is right. Absurdity is the norm.

And because of that, meditation practitioners and people from various spiritual traditions often delight in the absurd... "When the property of infinity is applied, hypothetically, to something, the result is usually absurd."-- my favorite sentence. That is why we need to delve into absurdity (perhaps through the use of a koan).
OP Yayz 10 / 121  
This is sort of a distortion.

How about "the essence, or metaphorical center, of infinity is absurdity." I think that might be more straightforward.

It makes it sound like something that we can call "absurdity" is at the center of infinite space

I didn't mean geometric or physical center; I meant like how the center of walking a tightrope is balance...oO

meditation practitioners and people from various spiritual traditions often delight in the absurd.

Personally, I'm so enraptured with it, I've gotten to the point where I can say something like "OK, I have to get back to fanning arachnids while composing a shoe" to any close friend of mine and it won't even strike them as anything out of the ordinary because they are so used to me + absurdity. Plus my spontaneous laughing fits when the absurdity of a rather ordinary situation strikes me as ludicrous. Life is fun =)

koan

Ironic, a few weeks ago I was contemplating writing this essay about that in some way. I had no plan; I just thought it would be fun XD

Yeah! That is better. Actually, the whole thing is a great idea, a great combination of concepts to discuss. I was just in an argumentative mood yesterday and wanted to mess with you.

Well Hawking was talking about a geometric center. That's why I gave you a hard time about it. You used his comment as a starting point.

ha ha, well you can't fan all the arachnids because they all watch different kinds of music.
OP Yayz 10 / 121  
an argumentative mood

It happens. Makes for more interesting conversation, at any rate.

Well Hawking was talking about a geometric center. That's why I gave you a hard time about it. You used his comment as a starting point

But that is why I wrote

Of course this is comparing two unlike things

It's one of my famous disclaimers. (Now I am feeling argumentative)

You must know the Soul Sista has made it quite clear that arachnids are to be homogenized by music no longer?
I think that part might have been lost on me... I misunderstood which two unlike things you meant, but now I see. As for your other creative endeavor, homogenizing arachnids is best accomplished with a large mortar and pestle, unless you have one of those coffee bean grinder things.

Home / Scholarship / Centers, infinity, absurdity--they're exciting