Challenges during the scholarship

EvidenceBrown 2 / 5  
If you are successful in being awarded a scholarship, what challenges do you think that you will face living and studying in a different country and how do you intend to overcome these? Include both study and personal challenges.

Some of the challenges that I may face living and studying in a different country are;

1) Academic challenges adapting to a new learning style since there may be marked differences between the teaching method, grading system and study pattern. I intend overcoming this by understanding the different teaching spectrums from professors and current students, have a close relationship with them, get a study group and collaborate with other students.

2) Language and cultural barriers: In order to overcome this, I will know as much about New Zealand and study their culture as well before I go and also spend time with the natives of New Zealand so as to know more about their cultures and language.

3) Social challenges feeling like an outsider. I will overcome this by getting to know other students in the same programme going through the same social change, get involved in student and academic groups and make friends with the locals so they can help me get acquainted with the school and introduce me to new friends.

4) Climatic challenges: Moving from a warm tropical country like Nigeria to a much colder place like New Zealand where the temperature is about 16oC might be a bit difficult to adapt. I will overcome this by getting clothes that will match all seasons and weather.
Adekiite 1 / 2 1  
Academic Challenges: it may be difficult to adapt to new teaching styles,different grading methods and study patterns.However,by finding out more about the differences as early as possible through close interaction with professors, current students and involvement in study groups,I believe I would be able to better learn and understand the necessary adjustments needed and adapt accordingly
Consider doing some background research into these possible obstacles you believe you will be facing. Look into the programs that the university offers which will specifically help you deal with and overcome these barriers. You have to prove that you have done your homework and you know of the support groups and activities that the university is already offering. The scholarship committee wants to be sure that you are a serious student who has done his homework when it comes to your choice of university. A scholarship is not easily given. It is only given to students who show a high level of dedication to his studies through the help of the university. Don't use the bullet point system in your presentation. Discuss these difficulties in paragraph form. Show how each of these problems relate to one another and how the support system of the university will come into play to help you adjust to the new country, language, and environment. What you are talking about now are plans that do not have any solid foundation or plan of action. You need to look into how the university supports foreign students and include that discussion in this essay.
OP EvidenceBrown 2 / 5  
Thanks Holt, I will work on that. Thanks for your time on going through the essay

Home / Scholarship / Challenges during the scholarship