"Be the change you wish to see in the world" A good leader is able to send out positive vibrations

Jamco 2 / 6 1  
Chevening 2017/2018 Essay on Leadership

Hi, would appreciate some feedbacks on my essay for my Chevening application. Much thanks in advance!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" was Mahatma Gandhi's saying during the independence of India in 1947. A good leader is able to send out positive vibrations that is able to shift a person's frequency to a positive note in which the resonance will invariably be passed on to the next person. A good leader has the trust of his people. Trust is that one powerful word that forms the adhesive bond between a leader and his people as Mahatma Gandhi had with his people.

Good leaders are not those who lead by imposing force and demand on his people. A good leader leads by guiding and showing people admirable actions stipulated based on their pure intentions for the betterment of others. A leader does not always have to be someone at the top, it can be anyone even a small child, as long as s/he depicts admirable actions worthy of emulation which gives impact to the world, even by the smallest action.

As a relationship manager ("RM") at a humble local bank in the centre of the town amidst other giant Banks, I was often told by my boss that I am my own Chief Executive Officers ("CEO"). This entails my own management of portfolio of Customers and how I handle them. Each Customer requires customized ways of handling as they each have a different background history and different story lines. My line of profession taught me to always be readily updated on the latest news and ongoing events and market trends as the creative solutions provider to each Customer which vary from case to case basis, flexing them in accordance to their nature of business and their requirements and how they fit into the picture in the current market. This enables me to understand the essentials of the businesses' modus operandi and what drives them to bloom. As a solutions provider, I feel the need to help my Customers solve their business dilemmas in order for them to grow which circuitously injects into the growth of the development of the country. I find this personally satisfying, to be able to bring about a change.

On a more personal note and objective of being a social entrepreneur, I feel the need to invest, contribute and help more people in need out there, to change and to move forward unfaltering in leaving my footsteps behind for others to follow and finally walk beside me and eventually leaving behind footsteps together, so more will be encouraged to join the journey. I dream BIG and it is time for a BIG change.
Ysalah 3 / 8  
@Jamco
I wish I help you by this

... vibrations that are able to shift a ...
OP Jamco 2 / 6 1  
@Ysalah

Thank you Ysalah. I'll take note of the grammatical error.

Apart from that, are there any comments on the structure and the contents?
OP Jamco 2 / 6 1  
Hi Mary. Would really appreciate your constructive reviews on my essay for improvements please?
Jaime, your leadership skill is not really that evident in this instance. Even though you are your own Chief Executive Officer, I do not see you delegating any tasks nor influencing co-workers or your clients regarding business decisions to be made. Clear example must always be presented in this leadership essay. Normally, one depiction of a situation is sufficient enough to prove your mettle as a leader and influential figure in your office. Perhaps you have had an experience with a problem client who, say, wished to leave the bank because of some sort of dis-satisfaction regarding your investment services. How did you handle the client? What steps did you have to take in order to lead him to a decision to stay with the bank? What kind of influence did you have to use in order to make him accept your explanations regarding his investments? Try to present a solid example that does not sound like you are just explaining your job description to the reviewer. That is what is lacking in your essay.
OP Jamco 2 / 6 1  

Hi Mary. I took your advise and improvised the essay. Hope you could check it out for me.

A good leader has the trust of his people. Trust is that one powerful word that forms the adhesive bond between a leader and his people. Good leaders do not lead by imposing force and demand on his people. A good leader leads by guiding and showing people admirable actions stipulated based on their pure intentions for the betterment of others. A leader does not always have to be someone at the top, it can be anyone even a small child, as long as s/he depicts admirable actions worthy of emulation which gives impact to the world, even by the smallest action.

As a relationship manager ("RM") at a humble local bank in the centre of the town amidst other giant Banks and being in a high paced industry, I was often reminded by my boss that I am my own Chief Executive Officer ("CEO"), entailing my own management of portfolio of Customers and how I handle them from the point of origination of the loans to the final loans repayment. RM is the middle person that ensures smooth conduct of facilities by Customers and to assure of timely facilitation of drawdown.

The facilitation of drawdown alone requires liaising with multiple departments/parties i.e Solicitor, Security Documentation Department ("SDD"), Loan Operations System ("LOS") concurrently and once initiated, the process has to complete by the day end. In the case of a drawdown, I will have to give prudent clear instructions to the officers in respective departments to ensure clarity and cooperation. I ensure SDD receive the legal documents for the drawdown. SDD usually liaise with Solicitor however at times I will negotiate with Solicitors to fasten the process up and finally leave it in good hands of the SDD to complete the documentations and ensure compliance. I will send instruction to LOS to proceed with the disbursements of the monies for Clients and ensure the individuals in LOS conduct the drawdown without delays and before the cut off time.

Some of my colleagues have trouble dealing with the individuals in those departments during the process of drawdown whereas I usually had minimal troubles. I have to admit they have their own personalities but there is always a way to negotiate, accommodate and understand from their professional perspective. Listen to understand, not listen to reply. They are the practising personnel longer than I have been with the Bank, so I respect their knowledge and skills and I am willing to learn from them instead of forcing my views on them.

Apart from that, I am my Clients' creative solutions provider, whereby I will customize solutions for each Clients giving their business a solid direction based on their nature of business, current market development and trends. As a solutions provider, I feel the need to help my Customers solve their business dilemmas in order for them to grow which circuitously injects into the growth of the development of the country. I find this personally satisfying, to be able to bring about a change.
Jaime, we still need to prove to the reviewer that you have the ability to resolve conflict in the workplace through the use of your influencing skill. Consider if you will, how you have had to deal with those concerned during a miscommunication or problem in the method by which the instructions of an investor is carried out. How did you react to the situation and were you able to actually perform the task of diffusing the situation through the use of your leadership skills? That is still missing in this essay and because of it, the essay is weak and not really applicable to the prompt. I wish you could delete the middle part of the essay and show true leadership instead of describing your duties or a day in your life at the office. The essay is still quite far from delivering on what the prompt requires.

Home / Scholarship / "Be the change you wish to see in the world" A good leader is able to send out positive vibrations