Home / Scholarship % width Posts: 7

CHARACTERISTIC OF LEADER (LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE ESSAY FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP)

nitakajole 1 / 4 1  

LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE ESSAY

Throughout my experiences, I learned that character-based leaders are lead from the power of who they are rather than from their position of authority or designated job tittle. A leader build on technical and professional skills over time, believe with his/her own abilities and use the strengths to achieve goal for common interest. Aside from growing the competence, a leader must have a good communication skill by delivering an idea clearly and empowering others to give a positive impact on the society.

I used to be an external auditor for two years until I have got new offering to be an internal audit in one of reinsurance company in Indonesia. Even though I do not have an experience working as internal audit before, but I accept the opportunities as a new challenge. On the first day as internal audit, my supervisor gives an explanation about the audit process and shows a list of projects that must be completed at that time. She also said that this is a team project carry out by three members who are more experienced in this field, and I was motivated to do my job well.

On the first project, I got an instruction from my supervisor to identify if there is any lack of control in payment submission process and ensure all the process are running effectively and efficiently by performing audit procedure. Before audit begin, I do a lot of research by reading standard operational procedure, understanding business process, inquiry the auditee and asking the supervisor for an advice if necessary. During audit period, I have always shared my thought and discuss it with my team whenever I found something unusual. After carrying out several audit procedures, I have discovered some of payment submission does not provide enough supporting document and resulting in delayed or late payments. There are no guidelines regarding the completeness of payment submission documents and a list of what documents must be attached, is only at discretion of the finance department. To resolve the issues, I propose a recommendation to add list of supporting documents on payment submission form and create a guideline of payment submission. I convey the idea in communicative way to make it easy to understand and provide an example. After long discussion, all team member along with the head of finance department approved my recommendation. My supervisor said she was satisfied with my work, and I got a valuable experience on this project.

Based on my experience, I have managed to improve my knowledge and use my abilities to obtain a better result for common good. I also managed to express my ideas and convince my team. I believe by improving my professional skills and joined the scholarship I can make a positive impact and contribute to economic growth in my country.
Proof of leadership, as presented in this essay, is very weak. It does not impress because of the lack of importance of the leadership role. There is no adequate proof of team-management, de-escalation skills, and serious decision making on the part of the applicant. This is still a rank and file job that fails to provide any information about the importance of the leadership role that the applicant within the workplace. While the defition of leadership is acceptable, the rest of the essay does not provide any remarkable leadership accomplishments on the part of the applicant. It is advisable that he chooses at least 2 leadership roles that highlight leadership growth and the importance of the role in the workoplace to fix the simplicity of the presentation.
OP nitakajole 1 / 4 1  
Thanks a lot for your feedback, yes i think is not remarkable enough, so i will revised my essay based on your comment and repost it
OP nitakajole 1 / 4 1  
Merged:

Project Leader (Leadership and influence essay for chevening)

Hi Everyone please help me to review my essay, this is actually my second attempt or my revision version, i would really appreciate your opinion and suggestion :)

I have been working as Senior Internal Auditor in one of reinsurance company in Indonesia for more than three years and have completed eight audit projects. I completed the project with my team, consist of three members with a Unit Head. The project come from variant divisions and produce different audit result with details of improvement plan that must be completed by auditee or related divisions. Team Audit responsible to follow-up on the improvement plan by sending an email as reminder every month. But lately the follow-up has shown a poor result; a lot of improvement plans are not executed and passed the deadline.

During regular meeting with team Internal Audit, we discuss this issue and think about the solution together. Then I come up with an idea to change the follow-up method by holding a regular meeting instead of sending an email. This aims to facilitate the auditee in carrying out the improvement plan by providing consulting service at regular meeting. All team members along with the Unit Head agree with my idea and I was chosen to lead this special project. As a project leader, I was responsible to get connected with the person in charge of each division, set up the meeting, identify the main issue and provide a suggestion as well as monitor the progress regularly. At first, I found myself difficult to deal with different people with variant personality for example some people don't like something too detail and some of them need more detail too understand, that's why I used different kind of approach. When provide a suggestion, I give more space to let people response to my idea and express with their opinion. Because their involvement is essential in completing the project. With a good cooperation between team audit and the auditee, we are able to solve every problem, and everything goes well in the next follow up.

Based on my abilities and skills, I am able to adapt with the team member and manage the team very well. I also managed to complete the project on time and create an impact to the company sustainability. I believe by improving my professional skills and joined the scholarship I can give more influences to create a positive impact and help the economic growth in my country.
isamj 2 / 5  
@nitakajole

Hi, I hope my comment will be useful.

I would add connectors and linkers to the paragraphs, it will make the structure much more clear. You can use, on the one hand- pon the other hand and to put it in a nutshell for the conclusion paragraph.
monicaaa0017 4 / 9  
Hi.
I think your essay is already good.
However, I think you should emphasize more on what you did as a leader towards other people. How you lead them when there was a problem. Sort of like that. Hope it helps
@nitakajole
Hi, I think your leadership essay is good, but I haven't been able to find an example of the problem, the real problem you were facing at that time, and what kind of real solution you proposed at that time. The more concrete the examples and data, the more confident the scholarship provider will be in the situation you are in. I hope my feedback can help you.

Home / Scholarship / CHARACTERISTIC OF LEADER (LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE ESSAY FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP)