Chevening: a career towards heritage conservation in the context of smart cities

MohamadRahahleh 1 / -  

career plan essay for scholarship

Chevening award is not just master's degree scholarship, it is a scheme with a long-term vision for building a maintained relationship between the scholars from UK and Jordan. For me as a researcher, this vision fits my career plan since I am targeting to specialize in the field of heritage conservation in the context of smart cities when returning to my home country. Jordan is well-recognized due to the richness of its heritage and cultural values that are suffering from lack of protection. This draw the attention of mine to specialize in the field. The award will give me the chance to develop my knowledge in heritage conservation in the manner of smart cities and expand my network in UK through the relationship with scholars in related fields. It will support my participation with the project of Newton-Khalidi in cultural heritage scheme. I am planning to tie myself with a range of UK scholars who are interested in my research field -such as Dr. Aylin Obrasli- to participate in the next rounds in the theme of "Digitization and the use of technology in the interpretation, presentation and restoration of cultural heritage"; because I believe that this theme will lead the future of cultural conservation process.

Chevening award is looking for influences who can create change, lead the future generation and achieve goals. If I won Chevening award successful in my application, I will consider myself the representative of my country, profession and Chevening platform at the UK. Then, it is my job to maintain and enhance the current interconnection platform; especially regarding the cultural heritage sector. I will create a new platform -such as society- that contains all the affiliation of the UK and Jordanian scholars I met in order to facilitate any future collaboration and keep in touch with them. Being part of a global network of scholars will definitely promote my career on personal and academic level as well as for my country benefit through the projects that will be held and the decision-making positions I will take in public sector.

In the long-term manner, I have a plan for creating my own professional NGO in Jordan, that aims to provide services regarding cultural conservation and city planning studies. The established network's platform will enrich this project through the participation of many UK and Jordanian scholars who are interested in this field. In addition to, the project should collaborate with research institutions I worked in like JUST to focus on producing new researches in this field.
yuri7991 2 / 2  
This is a scoring guide for Career plan essay:

· Applicant is working at a senior level in his/her field and working to achieve ambitious/innovative goals in his/her chosen sector.
Provides a number of examples of how the Chevening programme would help them to develop their sector and demonstrates strong understanding of UK priorities.
· Demonstrates how a Chevening Scholarship would increase his/her ability to have influence and make changes in his/her work and home country.

· Demonstrated evidence of strong leadership skills through occupying junior managerial positions and has indicated a desire to be in a senior position of leadership within the next 1-2 years.

· Demonstrated that they have contributed towards shaping opinions in their home country through active involvement with political parties, activist communities, attendance of debates, lectures or through following influential social media.

--> Please reflect your essay to ensure you cover all criteria to reach score 4.
Mohamad, your essay does not sound like a real post study plan essay as it does not carry any information that directly creates a post study career plan for yourself that properly involves the UK interests in your country as supported by the UK agencies that undertake these projects. Wishing to join in the research of a UK based professor does not signify a UK interest in your country. Neither does it help to strengthen the UK ties with your country on a national scale. Therefore that reference needs to be supported by a more serious set of UK interest related information such as an agency that has an ongoing project that your newly acquired skills will be able to help enhance.

You have been repeating information from the Chevening essay prompts as a part of your response in this essay. Do not do that. Do not repeat information that the reviewer already knows. More importantly, do not mix the information for the Chevening essays into this single essay hoping that it will result in a post study career plan because you failed to do that. You have no idea how to write the post study career plan at this point. It will be better if you read the sample post study plans here before you write a new version of the essay. You can use those as samples for your revised version. This version is not going to work for your application purposes.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening: a career towards heritage conservation in the context of smart cities