Chevening scholarship will give me probability to interact with influencers both locally and abroad

Elazar 1 / 3  
Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their countries

Good morning house...although am new here.

I hope you could help me in correcting...

LEADERSHIP & INFLUENCE QUESTION - CREATIVITY

The need to have leaders who can positively influence our families, society and the nation at large cannot be over-emphasized. Leaders are supposed to be change agent who can motivate and influence those around them. However, this is only possible when the leader possesses some vital attribute such as; vision, confidence, commitment, intuition, creative spirit and positive attitude. In my opinion, an effective leadership begins with a fundamental ability to believe in one's self.

I have always had the privilege of leading a considerable number of student during my undergraduate. One among such leadership were when I was saddled with the responsibilities of leading the entire Christian student body of the Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola. As the president of the Joint Campus Christian Fellowship with a population of over five thousand (5,000) students under my leadership, I realized that lots of the students do not know the primary reason why they were on campus, how to overcome the challenges that comes with youthful exuberant and the need to develop skills that could make them better individuals in the society. My major priority was to help them discover themselves, however I had to motivate myself as there were much distractions that I needed to overcome.

A major incident that occurred was during our annual program that seeks to helps students build up both spiritually and moral capacity was just a week away and we did not have enough fund to execute the program. The amount needed was about five hundred thousand naira (500,000) and I had to source out this funds. This was indeed a challenging task and must be accomplished or else the program will not hold. First and foremost, I came up with a campaign that I tagged "Operation one hundred naira" which was well received by the executives, heads of fellowships and the entire student body. This intuitive action was meant to reduce the burden on the students while working towards achieving the set goal. After about two weeks of lunching the campaign we realized seven hundred thousand naira (700,000), which was far more than our expected budget. By the end of the program, students saw the need to be self-disciplined while avoiding anything that present immediate gratification but will at the end affect their career.

Finally, manning a position as the president of a highly diversify institution of learning has not only enhanced my capacity but has also helped to improved my experience with regards to problem solving skills, administrative management, communication skills and commitments which are vital for my chosen career. I believe that this experiences in addition with the Chevening scholarship will give me opportunity to interact with influencers both locally and internationally in helping me develop skills that will make me a professional in my chosen career.
Excel2017 - / 9 6  
@Elazar
Dear,

Your first paragraph is completely not necessary, its a waste of space. You can start your essay by explaining what makes you a leader or even a related quote.

The influencing part of this prompt is totally missing!!! Find it.

The second paragraph about the problem start is lacking some strength. Find a way to make the students ignorance about themselves a big issue which really should draw attention! And it drew yours! Don't leave it so flat and normal.

Leadership and influence essay is best written with more than one example of your acts unless the single example is so strong.

When you write, use figures as they are, no need to interpret in words. In addressing this prompt, there should be: you-problem statement-effect of this problem on the community/society a creative solution-effect and recommendations. Kindly follow these steps I listed. Fix your idea under these headings then all together you will have a great piece.
Nnamdi this is the kind of essay that will be ignored by the Chevening committee during the preliminary round of considerations. Why will it be ignored? It does not have the kind of leadership and influencing experience that is required of a Chevening candidate. You are using an academic based activity in place of a professional leadership and influencing presentation. While there was some influencing involved and presented in your essay, the fact that this was academic in nature will not allow it to stand out from a pack of applicants who are going to be presenting leadership and influencing skills of a more important nature in their professions. The applicants to Chevening are undersecretaries, government officials of high ranking, company vice presidents, executive officers, and international agency connected individuals who have notable skills when it comes to leadership and influencing. The leadership quality and influencing skill that you are presenting in this essay is only good for a freshman college application. It cannot work for a Chevening scholarship application. Come up with a strong leadership and influencing presentation based upon your current profession. Indicate your current position in your essay, what leadership projects you have undertaken, and how you influence your officemates to complete tasks that have been assigned with you as a leader. Failure to present a professional basis of your leadership and influencing skills could end your quest for the scholarship consideration.
OP Elazar 1 / 3  

Thanks you so much. Will rewrite on something different and forward. Sincerely appreciate.
OP Elazar 1 / 3  

Please find below my new leadership and influence essay for analysis... thanks

I have always found myself in one leadership role or the other. I am a passionate, self-motivated and committed individual whose earnest desire is to see those around me expressing their full capacity by being able to find out what they are best at. In my opinion, an effective leadership begins with a fundamental ability to believe in one's self.

After my graduation and the completion of the compulsory national youth service scheme, I got an appointment as a consumer risk management officer with First City Monument Bank, where I function as a risk analyst for consumer loans. Prior to my appointment in First City Monument Bank, I was able to build up capacity, trust, confidence and motivation while working as a bulk teller at Access Bank Plc then a cash collector with Arik Air Plc (Nigeria's largest airline). This has enabled me maintained focused and progressive influence as a young leader.

I had the opportunity to prove myself as a leader and an influencer during my organization's last financial year. The bank's NPL (Non-performing Loan) as at the fourth quarter of 2016 was 300million bank wide and my region (North A) had a whooping sum of 110million that needed to be resolved without which the bank cannot make profit. As a risk management officer, I challenged my team mates on the need to achieve this task. The actions I took were; clustering of the accounts according to locations and assigning each to a team member, liaising with the branch heads for a branch review on accounts that were impacting on their books, the visit of customer's organization and personal residence to facilitate resolutions rate.

The whole process took a toll on myself and the team members. However, we were able to deliver a remarkable result within our time frame that led to my promotion as a senior recovery office and thereafter awarded the best consumer risk management office in the fourth quarter of 2016. Finally, manning a position of such magnitude was quit challenging, but it enhanced my capacity and also helped to improve my experience with regards to problem solving skills, administrative management, communication skills and commitments which are vital for my chosen career. I believe that these experiences in addition with the Chevening scholarship will give me opportunity to interact with influencers both locally and internationally in helping me develop skills that will make me a professional in my chosen profession.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening scholarship will give me probability to interact with influencers both locally and abroad