Chevening leadership essey - I never had innate leadership skills

Anna Petrova 1 / -  
Please help me to review the essay below. Thank you in advance

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

I love to set high goals for myself

To be honest, I never had innate leadership skills, but I have always understood the importance of working on its development. I love to set high goals for myself and go after them. It's been in my blood since the childhood.

I was born and raised in a typical rural Russian village. At the age of 8, I persuaded my parents to transfer me from a village school to the strongest school of the nearest town for getting a better education. That school was located over 40 kilometers from our home and it was hard to study there, but I managed to stay in that school and finished it with honors.

At the age of 18, I was one of the few from my school who entered one of the strongest Russian universities and moved to a big city. It gives other young people from my village understanding that there are no obstacles for dreams to become true. While I was studying in the university, I helped several students from my hometown to prepare for the admission to the most prestigious universities in our country.

During my study at the university, I have never been afraid to take part of any competition. Moreover, I have been always ready to help with organization of university activities and conferences. I have even organized my own conference on gender inequality in business. Thanks to my active position at the university, I have won university scholarship, which covered all my expenses for studying.

After university graduation, I get a job in one of the largest international companies. It took many of my efforts to stand out among other young leaders but I managed to do it. Within the company, I am a member of the EY women's club, which deals with female's leadership in the company. All members of that club are older, stronger and more skilled. Being on par with them makes me more experienced for others and helps me to challenge my leadership potential.

To draw the conclusion, I can say that challenge is my drive and I plane to proceed challenging my leadership skills in future and inspire other to go after high goals.
haekal 2 / 3 1  
Hi Anna, i think you should change the way you phrase "never had innate leadership skills", this could leave a negative impression, instead try to say "my innate leadership skill is not fully developed" or something like that.

Please do not take this as an expert opinion since i am in the phase of learning as well.
Anna, this is very good personal statement, for a college application essay or a scholarship application for a program other than Chevening. Your essay is not proving to be strong in terms of professional influencing and leadership discussions. The reviewer is not interested in learning about your apprehensions in life when it comes to leadership. He wants to know if you have any sort of leadership and influencing skills developed over time or existing at the moment. This essay will not get past the screening round. It is not competitive enough because al you are doing is discussing your academic life and making a reference to your professional life, but without justifications for your skills to qualify as a future leader and influencer in your line of work or country.

If you want to revise this essay, then focus on discussing your job at the international company. Discuss the development of your leadership role there until you get to the present, where you will focus the discussion on how you are now best prepared to be an influencer and leader in the profession that you are in. Don't discuss the women's club. That is an after office activity. You need to rely heavily on your professional L&I skills. The ladies club may be used as a foundation / introduction to your workplace leadership and influencing abilities but it should not cover more than 15% of your presentation.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening leadership essey - I never had innate leadership skills