Chevening scholarship Leadership - explain how I really have leadership skills

Ahmedsebaay 1 / -  

Leadership in my life

Briefly I found Leadership definition is a practical skill for the ability to "lead" or guide other individuals, teams so to answer this question I have to explain examples from my life.

I grew up in Egypt interested in studying technical issues, my dream was to join faculty of engineering and I achieved that, during my studying in college Egypt was suffering from one of the worst environmental problems which was (agricultural waste field burning) which lead to a smoke cloud cover Cairo every year, I suggested and convinced my colleagues to make a solution of this problem as an our graduation project and I was the leader of this team then I negotiated with our department staff to enroll this project which was in the field of Biomass Energy to the graduation projects list and I succeeded in this, our graduation project chosen one of the best 3 graduation projects in Egypt in 2008 after we achieved our technical target, this one of my life successful stories.

In 2009 I joined Bapetco-Shell JV as a projects construction engineer in western desert, firstly living in desert gave me special skills and being construction engineer it makes me leader for a construction group from day one which required from me to know how to communicate with them, motivate them also to be responsible for their both successes and failures.

every day I learned something new until I reached the stage that enables me to add positively to the work environment, there was a corrosion problem in a Pipeline which face the company from 6 years (before I join the company) costing the company to full replace it every 6 months, I always care about problem solving and creative ideas so I find a solution to use a new nonmetallic material to solve this problem, it was not easy to convince my managers by that solution as it is first time to use this material in my company and no trained people to deal with it but finally I succeeded in this, then I encouraged my construction group to do this task in perfect manner, now the new pipeline serve for 2 years with zero problems then the company construction managers decided to use the same material for 3 new piping systems inside the plant under my supervision, this also one of my life successful stories.

One of the most important things I believe in it that it is not enough to have a good idea you need also to have a leadership skills to convince others, motivate, directing and lead them to achieve this idea perfectly.

I hope I could explain how I really have leadership skills.

could you please review my essay and give me your opinion.
Ahmed, the Chevening scholarship committee members do not have the time to read your life story. You need to open the essay with a direct response to the prompt requirement. Immediately speak of the work that you did at Bapetco-Shell. Don't prolong the introduction of that. The work that you did regarding problem identification, resolution development, and solution implementation directly portray your leadership and influencing abilities. This is the part of the essay that you must develop the most. It is the highlight of the essay and, because of your maximum word count, needs to be successfully narrated in your essay. Everything before this section in the current essay version is not helping you to create an interesting and informative essay. Change the focus as I suggested above and you will automatically accomplish the task set before you by the instructions for the development of your essay. Start off by first, presenting the repetitive problem that you faced on the job and what solutions were formerly implemented unsuccessfully, then discuss how you developed your solution and presented it for approval. After gaining approval, relate how you influenced the group to work together to get the task done. The essay will be complete in response within 3-4 paragraphs if you revise it in the manner I indicated.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening scholarship Leadership - explain how I really have leadership skills