Chevening leadership essay/Leadership is more of responsibility than a title

stifflane 1 / -  

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries.

Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Leadership is not about a title we hold, it is about responsibility and the good influence we have on the society we are part of. We all can't be given a big position in society, but we can expand the influence we have in whatever position we hold starting from our role in the family. These I learned at an early stage being the first child, where I was responsible to look after my younger ones when my mother goes on business trips.

In 2016, I and my colleagues came up with the idea of an association focusing on tutoring and enlightening young student on their career choice, during these programs we discovered that a lot of young guys have been finding it hard to gain admission into the university. I was task with helping all the students whose choice of university was my school. First I had to speak with them all about their choice of study and find out their weak subject and how they can be better at it. They were 20 in number so I had to organize private lessons for them before the UTME exam and provide them with the required material and the university UTME past question which was hard for them to get as the university was far from my state. I asked them to be at the university a week to their UTME so we can brainstorm before the exam. When the UTME result came out, 19 of the student make the cut-off mark but only 16 were given admission which was an improvement from what it was in the previous years and the other three students were offered admission in their second choice of institution considering they all ace their exam.

In 2019, I was part of a social group in my village named Adavi Elite forum .close to my country's general election, there was a high rate of violence, and considering how bad the previous election was in terms of shooting, and all sorts of violence. We started a movement for a peaceful election which we started first by talking to the elders in the local government and after that, we were separated into groups to talk to youth in our ward. I was delegated with about 15 colleagues to try and make the election in my ward peaceful. I was the leader of the delegation so I started by going house to house to talk to people after which I assign each member of the delegation to stand at a specific polling unit and help voters cast their vote and try to maintain peace between each parties representative .intially before the voting started, I spoke with the security personnel on how we can call their attention to the situation before it escalates. During the voting casting, there were a few arguments between party members which were control through our dialogue, pleading, and quick notifying of the security personnel. The election was arguably the most peaceful in my ward as far as I can remember with members from opposition parties chatting and eating together after the electoral process.

My experience has taught me valuable lessons about leadership and positive influence. I believe having the opportunity of being a Chevening scholar will strengthen my leadership skills, which I plan to use in helping to create future leaders upon my return to Nigeria

please I need help, your correction will be appreciated
These I learned at an early stage being the first child, where I was responsible to look after my younger ones when my mother goes on business trips.

The reference is not applicable in the context of the essay. just remove it. you don't need to provide a childhood eample.

The first example is niether a leadership nor influencer reference. The activity you participated in was in a tutorial roll. It might have been used as an influencing reference if such an implied action on your part was present in the activity. You can try to revise the paragraph to give you an influencer roll in the activity. Do not try to make ita leadership reference. That will be difficult to prove owing to your role in the group.

The election example does not strongly portray you as a leader. Where is the evidence of your negotiation, peace-keeping, and mediator skills in this instance ? Both paragraphs are non. qualifiers.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening leadership essay/Leadership is more of responsibility than a title