An essay for Chevening scholarship about my networking experience at DFM and Zain initiative

rockprincess 7 / 12  

building and maintaining relationships

Networking is exchanging contact with people who have interests in similar areas. Networking may also have other meaning, but this statement is the closest example to my experiences. I will illustrate two examples from my expertise.

While at the digital filmmaking workshop, I participated as a learner for three consecutive weeks. As a student, I communicate to other students and share my interest in cinematography and video editing with them. I then chose the role of editor and assistant director in one of the four projects to produce four short films. At the end of the workshop, I saved the contact information of all students, even I add some of them on Facebook and we have our Whats app group. Because I stayed connected with the Digital Filmmaking group, I shared job opportunities with the group to work for a TV producer who asked me for if I knew cinematographers and editors. Also, our lecturer Dina ..., the producer of "..." feature film, shared recently a job vacancy with a film producer from Seattle.

A good example of building relationship with people was when I applied for "...", Zain Initiative, as a business starter. I spent two weeks in a boot camp to learn how to start a business and prepare for the pitching day. During the camp, I met lots of talented entrepreneurs who I exchange and gather information on how to develop our businesses in future. I connected also with leaders and mentors who have expertise in Accounting, legal and marketing for starters. By using these connections and information I was able to step forward into my business and set the first workshop to teach IELTS tips and tricks and lately finished the second one.

This kind of networking I could use it to communicate to the Chevening community. In case alumni needed to produce a video of any style, I have contact with the film crew and the equipment to implement the video idea and with my masters' studies; I could edit and produce an exceptional piece. Also, if someone needed to produce to a film in ... I could be his line producer. In Addition, I could assist the Chevening candidates with advices to pass the English Exam IETLS.

In conclusion, I will use the techniques of keeping contact through Facebook and what app and collecting contact and information of professional people as part of networking.
sol2 1 / 2  
... I communicated to with other students and shared my interest

You move in and out of the past and present sentences. Consider the correction above.
Dana, don't try to define networking based on what you think it should be. The reviewer is not interested in that and you are wasting his time. He needs you to showcase a working network on your part. That is all he is interested in. While I find your networking information simple and too localized for the Chevening scholarship, it just might work since you are concentrated on filmmaking. However, it would be better for your application if you can show an international network of sorts because the Chevening community may not require localized film makers, staff and crew in your country.

The mention of the job opening you found out about in Seattle would have been better and beneficial to your essay if the network had helped you get the job. Which it did not. So mentioning that in this essay isn't helpful. The reviewer doesn't want to know how your network helps other people, he just wants to know how it helps you and how you help the other members of your network. Unfortunately, your essay is too self-centered in that aspect. Maybe you can change that focus to be more cooperative? That is what a network is about after all. Cooperation between different persons, groups, or organizations for a common interest.

I find your essay too vague and lacking in impact to be able to compete with the other more well positioned applicants for this scholarship. There is no clear development of your network as a currently existing and working channel of professional contacts. That could prove to be a hindrance to your application in the long run.

Home / Scholarship / An essay for Chevening scholarship about my networking experience at DFM and Zain initiative