Chevening Essay, Post graduation plan for incredible achievements to my country in the future

heratjalali 2 / 5  

the opportunities are ready to be used

Dears,

Please leave your good comments on my essay,

I am currently a member of DFID (Department for International Development) project that is sponsored by UK. I work as legal officer with Norwegian Refugee Council under the DFID project that is focused on finding a durable solution for the displaced people in Afghanistan. I firmly believe that my future career plans will bring incredible achievements to my country. I have planned to work for protecting the vulnerable people, promoting humanitarian management, and finding a durable solution for the people who are affected by disasters. In the following paragraphs, I have shown the path towards achieving the aforementioned goals.

I am currently working as a Lecturer of Human Rights Law at Eshraq Private University. The first part of my plan will be executed in this university. I will use my scholarly knowledge of human rights, researching skills, and humanitarian leadership experiences -obtained from UK- to train human rights activists, humanitarian leaders, and to spread human rights values in the cultural environment of my community. I will also work on the expansion my own experience and knowledge. I will conduct researches, publish articles and collect updated information about human rights situation in my country.

I am also working as an Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance Officer (community) at Norwegian Refugee Council. The second part of my plan will be executed in this organization, UN and other international NGOs working in the areas of human rights and sustainable development in my country. I will use my knowledge and experience of human rights, protection, management and leadership in these international organizations to find a durable solution for the people who are torn up by man-made or natural disasters.

The third part of my plan will be executed in the international level. I will obtain a remarkable experience in the areas of human rights from teaching at university and working with international NGOs that will assist me to start my PhD degree in this field. After obtaining my PhD degree in Human Rights Law, I will represent Afghanistan in the international levels. It has been my dream, since long time ago, to be the representative of Afghanistan in the United Nations. And, I am sure that one day I will make this dream come true.

I faithfully believe that these goals deserve to be struggled for. And, I am sure that they are as clear as I can see them every day. I have gone through the very dark times of hopelessness and poverty, and have overcome them by hard work and dedication. Now, that everything is prepared, the way is cleared and the opportunities are ready to be used; I strongly believe that the abovementioned goals are coming true one by one and step by step.
Sebghatulla, of all the plans that you wrote for this essay, the one that you should have threshed out more was the participation that you will be having in the DFID in Afghanistan. What do you know about how they function in your country? Will the course that you studied help you to become a notable member of that UK organization? Your essay will be in the best position for consideration if your expand your discussion for your post study plans in relation to your membership in the DFID. Remember, the post study plan is very specific about its requirements. It indicates:

Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals, considering how these relate to UK priorities in your country.

Based on that prompt, it is tremendously obvious that you need to use at least 300 words to explain your DFID participation and plans as opposed to the other long term plans you indicated in the essay. The UK connection is more important because as a Chevening scholar, you will be expected to work with other alumna from the program for a period of time. Consider it payback for the scholarship. Therefore, the longer you plan to work with the UK based organization, the better it will be for your application.
OP heratjalali 2 / 5  
Dear Holt,

Thank you very much for the nice and useful comment. I have re-written the essay and will post it once again for your last review.
OP heratjalali 2 / 5  
Hey Holt!

Please take a look at my Career Plan and kindly leave your comments on it.

Thanks in Advance

I have the honor of working as a legal officer at Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) for the DFID (Department for International Development) project. DFID project is one of the biggest projects with £155 million budget sponsored by the UK Department for International Development. This project focuses on three main objectives: economic development, governance and security, and humanitarian sector. Under a consortium; NRC with three other NGOs have taken fund from UK (DFID) to find a durable solution for the most vulnerable people including; refugees, returnees and IDPs. Currently, I play the role of a team member with ICLA (Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance) team of NRC under the DFID project. I want to uplift my position from a community legal officer to a high-level directory position at NRC, particularly in DFID project. My highest aspiration is to help the vulnerable displaced people of my country to secure their life by themselves.

After returning back to my country, I will secure the first-level managerial position with the ICLA team of NRC. I firmly believe that the broad range of humanitarian leadership and management skills, updated knowledge of human rights principles and my previous community experience will qualify me for the position. I also believe that working as a project manager at NRC will allow me to solve the problems of displaced people, and help them secure a comfortable life for themselves. Also, this position will help me network with different NGOs and gather a valuable bunch of experience for my future careers.

After few years of work with the ICLA team, I will obtain necessary experience to seek for a leadership position in the country level, at NRC. I believe that holding a leading position in the country level will allow me to manage displaced people's issues in a better and more effective way. Through this position, I will be able to use my first-hand community experience, leadership and management skills, and networking achievements to gather a remarkable amount of financial resources and professional humanitarian experts to collectively work for finding a long-lasting solution for our vulnerable people.

Another essential part of my plan after completing my master degree is to continue teaching human rights law at Eshraq Private University. Currently, I am teaching human rights law at that university. But, after completing a master degree with real field experience, I will be able to present lectures in a more efficient way. Teaching at university will allow me educated a new generation of civil and humanitarian activists. It will also allow me to deepen my academic knowledge of human rights law and contribute to associating the values of human rights with my community's cultural values Last but not the least, the experience of working with NRC and teaching at university in association with non-stoppable studies will prepare me for a PhD degree. These experiences will help me to apply for a PhD degree of Human Rights Law and uplift my careers into international levels.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening Essay, Post graduation plan for incredible achievements to my country in the future