My Chevening Essay on why I want to study Biotechnology in UK and how to utilize it in future

Abumahfuz 2 / 3 1  
Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future. Please do not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form

My passion for biotechnology

While technology generally aims to create tools to empower man, biotechnology aims to change man himself, to better fit him to the world. Biotechnology can be defined as the controlled and deliberate manipulation of biological systems (whether living cells or cell components) for the efficient manufacture or processing of useful products. In my early days at College, I had keen interest in biotechnology as a course and science. My passion for biotechnology increased when I took modules in genetic engineering, molecular biology, biotechnology, and industrial biochemistry. I also learnt the process of using technology to modify the genetic makeup of an organism (animal, plant or a bacterium)

Universities in United Kingdom have an established reputation for excellence and this motivated and influenced the pursuit of my Masters in Biotechnology and Medical Biotechnology at University of Portsmouth due to their exceptional qualities ranging from their teaching quality, student experience, career services, increased post-graduate opportunities and also ability of the University to help put my skills to work in teaching and other related industries. I chose Coventry University as my third university due to the profile of their biotechnology course which offers the opportunity to gain a substantive professional experience and have the option of applying for an internship with a host of different organisations, their well-equipped suite of analytical and biological laboratories, research-inspired teaching and their strong track record of graduate employability. The services offered by these universities will provide the right opportunities to improve my research skills, and also provide the advanced theoretical and practical background necessary for competitive position in the Biotechnology industry.

My experience at the degree program of studying genetic engineering and molecular biology and Biotechnology as a course were we were taught manipulation of an organism's genes using biotechnology. The internship exposure at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital in 2016, where I carried out series of Pathological tests exposed, inspired, and encouraged me to pursue a career in Biotechnology. I am convinced that my knowledge of these two related fields of study would bring out a more resourceful Biotechnologist in me with vast knowledge about using living cells and cell materials to produce some pharmaceuticals products. I will be able to draw from my previous experience on genetic engineering to benefit the development of new diagnostics tests, therapeutic agents and bioenergy production systems that will assist in treating, early diagnosis and preventing human disease.

Following my exposure to the world of biotechnology, it became my dream to devote a part of my life to the development of Biotechnology in my country and beyond. I plan on becoming a research scientist using molecular tools to solve some of the lingering and debilitating human diseases in my country and globally. The use of biotechnology in disease diagnosis and also use living cells and materials produced by cells to create products that benefit society.

Finally, I plan to be an instructor in an academic field to inspire young scientists all over the world and most especially my country with the knowledge acquired in this field. I believe this will contribute positively to the development of biotechnology in my country.
Taofiq, the Study in the UK essay requires an academic and professional background explanation in its presentation. Therefore, the last 2 paragraphs of your essay does not belong here. Set those 2 paragraphs aside and use those to kick-off your post study plans instead. That is where your future career plan discussion belongs. Now, let's take a deeper look at the current essay and analyze how to best improve it.

Your internship experience should be used not as a stand alone paragraph but rather as a part of your academic training in chosen courses. That way you enhance your information presentation with a solid basis for your interest in and academic / internship training in the field. This proves your ability to perform as a student and a serious interest in your chosen MS course as well. Incorporate the relevant internship information in the presentation of the 3 courses. It is your internship experience that will separate the reasons why you have chosen these 3 courses.

Speaking of the 3 courses, you must present these as individual paragraphs even if 2 of the courses are offered at the same university. That is because each course needs a separate explanation coming from you regarding your relevant academic training, professional relevance, and future career applications. It will be difficult for the reviewer to keep track of your discussions if you do not separate the presentations. So the presentation should be something like:

I have chosen a Masters in Biotechnology course at the University of Portsmouth as my first choice because of my background in... which will help me perform well during my studies of... The course is applicable to my future career goal of...

My second choice is a Masters in Medical Biotechnology course also at the University of Portsmouth due to.

Note that the format I used gives a clearer and more precise discussion presentation to the reviewer for his perusal. Try to close the presentation with a reference to your current profession and how it has helped you realize your potential to succeed as a student in these fields. That is the best way to close the essay. Like I mentioned above, the last 2 paragraphs need to be moved to the post study plans essay.

Home / Scholarship / My Chevening Essay on why I want to study Biotechnology in UK and how to utilize it in future