Chevening - STUDYING IN THE UK QUESTION; three courses - relation to the previous experience, future

Armedya 1 / 2 1  
Hi, I'm applying for Chevening Scholarship, i would like to get some advices and feedbacks regarding my Study Plan essay. I am applying for MA Kings College London - Digital Culture and Society and Cardiff University - Digital Media and Society.

Q: Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future.

I do not want to be just a part of savvy consumer for social media by the fact that Indonesia has been dominating social media statistics consumers. Moreover, it is evolving to include social movement, political campaigns, creative industries and even e-commerce. Still, those mind-blowing facts have intrigued me to think; what can be achieved with these social media populations? What else can be done with a vast number of populations in this virtual world? Then I found my answer that I do really want to take a part and involve as a futurist in the development of digital media. Moreover, I believed that I could contribute more for the development of creative industries in Indonesia that has been emerging for the past decades and shapes a clear direction to realize that.

I always have the curiosity about how media and technology are going to lead us in the future of society: the way of people interacting to each other. The major form of communication evolved distinctively into a new format of media that has been digitalizing.

Following my curiosity and interests, in my final year project assignment I conducted a research about how digital games nowadays considerably changing the way children play; compared to Indonesian traditional games which has became less popular recently than 10 years ago, while children have more time spent on playing with their peers. I found that the children are being encouraged towards digital media and video games because they were given by their parents as it is easier for parents when trying to entertain children. As a Visual Communication Design student majoring in Advertising, I designed an integrated campaign which consists of parents as the second target while the primary is the children and introduces them towards traditional games.

Working in advertising agency means to influence and get to know on how people behaving based on what they have perceived. Having earned good experiences from working at various advertising agency, I was invited to work as head of design and creative marketing division in Digital Out-of-Home media as I graduated from college. I see a bright future of Digital outdoor advertising as a powerful media because the internet has transformed it into a new form of mass-media. People will get a rapid and direct information about what currently happening while commuting in the road as they spend most of their time in outdoor.

With a solid background and various work experiences in digital media that focusing on how people interact, I felt the need to further equip myself with a study to get insight the role of digital media at my chosen universities as they will bring me to understand how technology interplays culture and social elements.
- I do not want to be just a part of a savvy
- ...intrigued me to think;, what
- ..want to take a part and be involve

- media that has been digitalizingdigitalized .

- games nowadays are considerably
- changing the way children play;, compared
- less popular recently than 10 years ago ,
- parents when they're trying to entertain children.

- get to know on how people behavinge

- digital media that focusingwhich is focused on how people interact,
- get insight for the role of digital
- they will bring me to understanding on how..

Indeed, social media transformed today's generation. However, it's still good to know that these technological breakthroughs are honed due to the need and advancement for greater welfare.
OP Armedya 1 / 2 1  
Thank you @justivy03 for your corrections :) Yes, I do believe digital media would be more beneficial for society in the future.

However, I am looking forward for structure and coherence advices regarding my essay. thanks!
Armedya, I do not know if I missed something while reading your essay but I cannot seem to find the 3 university courses that you have chosen in the essay. The instruction is quite specific about your mentioning each course of study and your discussion regarding how it relates to your academic, immediate profession, and future plans. What I did read, was a generalized coverage of these plans. I don't believe that the essay is looking for a general discussion. It needs specifics.

I believe that your introduction needs to reflect your plans for your future immediately. That way you can catch the eye of the reviewer and let the person know that you have immediate future plans for yourself, which is why you are looking to complete higher studies. When you say that you look forward to helping develop the media industries, relate those plans and how your course of study can help you achieve those goals. Which course in particular is leaned towards that interest? Expand on the discussion based on that relationship.

Digital outdoor advertising is also a fast emerging field of advertising, which courses do you feel relates to that interest of yours? How do you see yourself contributing to the evolution of digital advertising? Don't rely so much on your college experience when you discuss your plans. I noticed that you have a tendency to do that. As a masters degree student, you should have a forward thinking line of thought. Plans that you feel should be made a reality in the future for the benefit of the industry or mankind. Do you think you can have your essay reflect more of that? I believe that your essay will be better served by focusing the information it contains directly on your future plans because that is what completing a masters degree is all about.

Follow the specific requirements of the prompt. Discuss it in the order that it is placed in the prompt. Remember, you need to mention the courses specifically. This is not a general discussion essay. This is similar in format to a statement of purpose or intent. Use those guidelines for completing the essay.
OP Armedya 1 / 2 1  
Thank you @vangiespen I do really appreciate your advices. Yes, you're right I missed to mention those 3 universities on my essay, hence I will try to fix the whole structure of my essay to be more specific. Again, thank you very much for your guidance.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening - STUDYING IN THE UK QUESTION; three courses - relation to the previous experience, future