I've chosen the Intercultural Communication for Business course since I believe that it fits for me

ezgifilik 4 / 14  
Hello all,

Thanks in advance for all your comments. Here is the question:

Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future.

I've chosen the Intercultural Communication for Business course since I believe that this course fits in perfectly with my academic and professional background, and career aims.

I received my bachelor's degree in English Translation and Interpreting. Translation isn't only about translating sentences, but also to interpret the cultures of the communicants.

As well as that nobody can deny the existence of the cultural factor in translation, intercultural communication is also unimaginable if the message is not transmitted through translation and understood by both sides. By doing my master degree in this field, I believe that I will acquire basic insights into intercultural communication and linguistics with a focus on cultural theory that will strengthen my linguistic knowledge as well as get acquainted with life and institutions in the UK. In the business world, the top priority was the language skills until recently, however with the rise of globalisation; employers are placing a higher value on intercultural communication skills. My contact with the multi-lingual world will be much more effective if I add international communication skills to my English proficiency. I would like to enhance my intercultural communication skills not only by undertaking this course, but also taking advantage of studying in a foreign country.

The universities also mention on their websites that the program is ideal for graduates of English language who would like to deepen their insight into business across linguistic and cultural boundaries.

My current job also requires being sensitive to the potential issues of cross-cultural communication. As an EU project assistant and translator, it is my responsibility to establish common ground with our international partners which effectively makes me the bridge between the company I work for and our partners by finding the balance between different business processes of both sides. I've been trying to improve my cross-cultural communication competences since I faced my first intercultural communication challenge at work.

The course matches well with my future plans also. My long-term career aim is to start my own import/export business, and because this sector has a multinational workplace, effective international communication is a key to success. I intend to equip myself for the demands of the global workplace through this course. My short term plan after finishing the course is to develop a career in an international organization. To have a successful international business career, I would like to develop my skills to turn workplace diversity into advantages and learn how to effectively manage multi-cultural expectations.

I will compile the knowledge I acquire on this course with the specialism of my first degree, and go into the globalized workplace with a comprehensive understanding of intercultural communication.
Ezgi, please look at the examples of the other essays related to the studying in the UK prompt as examples of how to write your own. You were unable to provide the necessary information for this essay. This is not a simple overview essay. You need to present specific information to present to the reviewer which proves that you have given considerable thought to where you want to study and why.

For this particular essay, you will need to do some research regarding the universities that offer masters course within your line of interest / expertise. Choose the top 3 universities and then discuss these schools and masters courses in individual paragraphs. Make sure you can connect these discussions to your previous training, which you can obviously do based upon the information you mentioned above, your present or work related experience, and then your future plans for your studies.

The most important part of this essay will be the way that you create the idea that you will be able to excel in any of the course choices that you end up taking. You can never be sure which university will accept your application so you should try to convince the reviewer that you will excel, regardless of which university you attend and masters degree you end up taking.
If you remove the definition of the translation job after you say you have a degree in English translation, then bring the paragraph about your job description up to join that sentence, the essay will go down to 663 words. Additional editing by the deletion of the career goals will result in an even shorter 567 word essay. That can be done because you have the post graduate studies career essay to discuss your long and short term career goals in. You can also remove the sentence referring to the 4,348 students to further bring down the essay to 528 words. Finally, you can remove the closing line at the end of the essay. It doesn't seem necessary to use that line. Your essay will come down to 498 words that way.

Now, the essay will seem a bit choppy due to the lack of transition sentences from the part about your background going into the university listing but I don't see how else we can bring down the word count without affecting the important portions of the essay. If you can review the content of your essay, maybe you can decide what else you can cut out in order to have available words for the transition sentence. You know what you wrote best so you would be able to summarize certain parts of the essay more than I can.
OP ezgifilik 4 / 14  
Thank you for your valuable comments. I didn't delete the career plans part because they ask how my career plans relate to the course I have chosen, but shortened it.

I hope I could cover the lack of transition sentences. Afterall, what do you think about the essay in general? I'm lucky to have found this website and you, by the way. Otherwise I was going to submit it as it was before. Thanks a lot again, looking forward to your comments.

I received my bachelor's degree in English Translation and Interpretation. As well as that nobody can deny the existence of cultural factor in translation, intercultural communication is also unimaginable if the message is not transmitted through translation. My current job also requires being sensitive to the potential issues of cross-cultural communication. It's my responsibility to establish common ground with our international partners which effectively makes me the bridge between them and my company by finding the balance between different business processes of both sides.

The course matches well with my future plans also. My long-term career aim is to start my own import/export business, and short term plan is to develop a career in an international organization, where effective international communication is a key to success. I intend to equip myself for the demands of the global workplace through this course.

My chosen three university courses:

University of Warwick-MSc Intercultural Communication for Business and the Professions

Aiming to offer intercultural learning in a cosmopolitan environment, University of Warwick provides me with the best setting to do my master degree in this field. With its core modules developing an understanding of the notions of culture, identity and communication, I'd add intercultural communication skills to my English proficiency and my contact with the multi-lingual world would be more effective. The option modules including International Business and Marketing across Cultures would enable me to customize my MSc programme and bring me closer to my career goals. We can also perform an experimental placement within programme, which allows me to apply my knowledge of the MSc ICBP in a real-life context.

University of Surrey-MA Intercultural Communication with International Business

The reason why I chose the University of Surrey is based on a combination of its high placement in the rankings and its excellent ties with industry. The programme offers the expertise of multidisciplinary group of academics at the School of English and Languages, as well as an opportunity to benefit from close affiliation with the Surrey Business School that has projects linking us with companies and allowing us to apply our knowledge in the workplace. Another best aspect of the programme is the chance to attend numerous conferences, seminars and workshops covering a range of topics, which would deepen my insight into business across linguistic and cultural boundaries.

Edinburgh Napier University-MSc Intercultural Business Communication

Things making the Edinburgh Napier stand out from other universities for me include their great emphasis on fostering entrepreneurship skills. As a young person who looks to start my own venture, I would be able to benefit from two incubator spaces -Moffat Center and Bright Red Triangle- which offer free business advice and mentoring for students through enterprise start-up activities, social innovation projects etc. Furthermore, the university offers workshops by Confident Futures, a personal development programme, which would increase my competitive edge with employers. It's also a great chance for me to grow my network that I would have periodic guest lectures by Scottish government consultants or financial sector professionals.
Let's concentrate on cleaning up the paragraphs before the discussion about the universities. It is somewhat acceptable already. It just needs a few adjustments in order to make it ready for use. The first sentence is good as it is. The second sentence needs to be adjust to make it blend better with the first sentence. Just start the sentence with "Nobody can deny...", that is the only fix required in that part in order to make it flow better.

Then the part about the courses matching your career goals, it stands as a separate paragraph after the introduction at the moment. Just move it down to after the discussion of the universities so that it can act as your closing paragraph instead. Doing so will ensure that the essay will close on a strong note of notice to the reviewer.
OP ezgifilik 4 / 14  
Hello again,

I've slightly changed the second sentence, hope we are on the same page and I made the change in line with your point:

"As well as that the existence of cultural factor in translation is a self-evident fact, intercultural communication is also unimaginable if the message is not transmitted through translation."

I was not satisfied with the end of essay, so it's a great idea to move that paragraph to the bottom.

Thanks a lot!

Home / Scholarship / I've chosen the Intercultural Communication for Business course since I believe that it fits for me